Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy's With Centerline Rims
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

Just wondering if you could put a tube in it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

Funny this popped back up.
The buggy I am building right now is finally getting those Centerline rims. Over the years, I found some NOS units still in their Centerline boxes. 15 X 8's and 15 X 6's.

And yes, they can take tubes just fine. But watch running low pressures, the tire will pinch the tube and cause it to go flat in a hurry.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Morning,

I could if the leak was on a rear wheel, as I have larger tyres on the rear. But the front tyres have 135/65-15 and no one makes a tube for a low profile tyre. Not listed here in the UK at least.

One supplier said it needed to be an 80 profile tyre to work.

Another supplier said "I could try their smallest, but it wasn't correct, plus running tubes in tyres not designed for tubes increases the risk of failures"..... So as this is a road vehicle I didn't like the idea of a rapid deflation at 70mph in traffic.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

Ah yes! And your rear rims are wider so you can't just switch them around.
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunately that is the case.

One more go, then I'm looking for replacement.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

You can buy tubes made specifically for 135s. I have a pair sitting in my basement. I personally hate such a skinny tire on the street so will never use them.

I ran tubes in radial tires for years after I got a set of big rear tires for cheap that had been vandalized with an ice pick . Like joe said, just keep the pressures up.

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

There are flat fixing liquids that you put in your tire that are supposed to find the leaks and seal them up as you drive. I have never tried any of them to know it they work.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

There are flat fixing liquids that you put in your tire that are supposed to find the leaks and seal them up as you drive. I have never tried any of them to know it they work.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

I highly recommend using those for an emergency fix, only. They are very corrosive and can in a short period of time, eat through your wheel. If you do use one of those products, have it cleaned out ASAP once you make it to safety.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

I would have never guessed. It no doubt says so on the can then if it's that bad?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I would have never guessed. It no doubt says so on the can then if it's that bad?

The propellant, R134a, when combined with water, (second component in fix a flat) turns highly corrosive. Last can I bought to use on my riding lawn mower stated on the can temp fix only. One lazy on my part year later, my two front rims rusted from the inside out.

Search the internet. Lots of photos of alloy rims eaten up from the inside when using fix a flat. Testimonials and warnings from tire manufactures. BMW recommends replacing the tire after using the material do to tire break down from the material.

Would I use it? Heck yes for a temp situation. I carry a can with me in the buggy. But ASAP after getting somewhere to get a proper repair, it would get cleaned out.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

There is a non corrosive liquid you can put in tires for sealing them up. We used it in ice racing and I pour about a cup in each of my LSR rear tires because they are so thin they leak. It's available at tire shops that do commercial tires. I'm sure if you go in and ask them for some tire sealant snot, they could get you some. it comes in 1 gallon jugs and will last you a lifetime. IT stays liquid and will seal any puncture in the tire.

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

Interesting! I also do not carry a spare on my Buggy. I will have to look into that option.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy's With Centerline Rims Reply with quote

I ran 155/SR-15 tubes in my Centerlines for years.
They even worked on the 3 1/2 inch wide rims I used. I never had trouble with them in all the miles I put on.

Both sets of front Centerlines I used would not hold air without tubes.

I used them with multiple sized tires.
155/SR-15 tires
165 size tires.
205/70-15 tires and finally
185/60-15 tires.
I now have Weld Draglites on front and don't need tubes with them.

I have the tubes and wide 5 Centerlines sitting in the garage.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: