Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another 1.8T hits the road !!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

84' Red Doka 1.8T test drive

Link

---------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red Doka needs flares!

Looking good Paul!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Quote:
The red Doka needs flares!

Looking good Paul!

Thanks Eric, I agree they look pretty sweet on my 1.8T Westy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet video, when are you going to start doing conversions for vans with auto tranny?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

Quote:
Sweet video, when are you going to start doing conversions for vans with auto tranny?

Thanks
Good question

I'm clearing the operating table for the next conversion, it's an automatic Westy. We have a real nice throttle drive-by-wire/kick down system designed for it. Looking forward to helping out the auto's Smile
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWhead wrote:
madspaniard wrote:

Quote:

Thanks
Good question

I'm clearing the operating table for the next conversion, it's an automatic Westy. We have a real nice throttle drive-by-wire/kick down system designed for it. Looking forward to helping out the auto's Smile

Stephan's been doing them. He just reworked/improved the throttle system very nicely! What's your plan for auto R&P?

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Quote:
Stephan's been doing them. He just reworked/improved the throttle system very nicely! What's your plan for auto R&P?

Yep, I know

R/P all depends on tire size. So why not put a bigger tire on stock R/P?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWhead wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:
Quote:

Yep, I know

R/P all depends on tire size. So why not put a bigger tire on stock R/P?

Give it a try. I had a bigger tire (215/65/15 = 26.5") mated to a 3.73. Didn't like it. Curious to hear how another R&P/Tire combo might work out.
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

What are you 2wd guys running for suspension springs these days? I just installed a 1.8t in my '85 2wd westy with Gowesty 1.5" lift springs, and it appears to be sagging in the back. I believe the 1.8t engine is a bit heavier than the wbx, so I'm wondering what my options are at this point....

I'm not that excited to do spring spacers as I've read that it is not good for progressive spring performance.

I want to keep the van lifted between 1.5 to 2" max.

I want the van level.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:
What are you 2wd guys running for suspension springs these days? I just installed a 1.8t in my '85 2wd westy with Gowesty 1.5" lift springs, and it appears to be sagging in the back. I believe the 1.8t engine is a bit heavier than the wbx, so I'm wondering what my options are at this point....

I'm not that excited to do spring spacers as I've read that it is not good for progressive spring performance.

I want the van level.

Spacers don't affect the spring performance at all. If you are happy with how it rides, throw some spacers in there.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:
Running_Man wrote:

I want the van level.

Spacers don't affect the spring performance at all. If you are happy with how it rides, throw some spacers in there.

I totally agree (no issues with spring spacers)!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

Spacers, it does the trick.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

Does anyone know what motor mount Paul used on the passenger side? The engine was an 06A block and used from a transverse Mk4 VW.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of the mount your wondering about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

I don't, but Paul reached out and said it was custom. It's tight because its squeezed in between the AC and the oil filter housing.

Par for the course here, I'm going to bend up some EMT to mock up the carrier bars before moving to some real stuff and using a tube bender.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

Are you trying to mount up the Passat motor mount brackets and using the transverse accessories?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Are you trying to mount up the Passat motor mount brackets and using the transverse accessories?

Yes, I plan on a hybridized install, using majority of the transverse engine coupled with some audi bits like turbo/manifold and engine brackets. Currently playing with the lego bits and seeing what I like and don't.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

It does all fit together, it is a little tight and requires some cutting and grinding but you can use the Passat mount and bracket and the MK4 accessories. I have done it a few times.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

You use the Passat accessories bracket? It looked like I could use the Mk4 accessories bracket with the Audi engine bracket, this would require a v type notch cut from the mk4 bracket but looks like the AC might not line up well?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Reply with quote

Either one. What I’m saying is it is possible to use the transverse accessories bracket with the inline mounts. Takes a little cutting but it will work and gives you a very compact setup.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: