Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another 1.8T hits the road !!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
correct, you do not need to regear the tranny, although you will be able to use larger tires, which make your gearing taller, and the 1.8T motor, unchipped, will not destroy your tranny, nor your CV's or axles.
[/b]No regearing needed(i've done it i know).

Can you speak to what you did for this swap. Obviously the mounts and adapter plate. Anything else needed to bring the tranny down 1.5"

What did you need from the donor. Where did you mount the relays & fuses? Is there anything in the golf/jetta cluster that needs to be up front in the van?

I'm not asking for a step by step manual but trying to figure out if doing this is within my skill & available time.

cheers!

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in knowing the ground clearance and wheel center heights for the 1.8T conversion.

for example, my wheel center is 14.5" off the ground, and my ground clearance is 11.5". That tells me my ground clearance is 3" less than my wheel center. I think 3" below wheel center is excessive, and Im guessing the 1.8T does better.

Im asking for the difference, in inches, between ground clearance and wheel center, both from dredward and VWHEAD if possible.. please Wink
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
dredward wrote:

[/b] You qouted me as needing a rebuild when i was on my same trans with ove 150k was makeing noise. I replaced with a trans of 100k and stopped doing figure 8's and burn outs. Have been driveing normal and no probs or noise.... "."

so can you do figure 8's and burnouts with half the horsepower?

On a rain slicked road or on dirt very easy.
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the ground clearance and wheel center heights for the 1.8T conversion.

for example, my wheel center is 14.5" off the ground, and my ground clearance is 11.5". That tells me my ground clearance is 3" less than my wheel center. I think 3" below wheel center is excessive, and Im guessing the 1.8T does better.

Im asking for the difference, in inches, between ground clearance and wheel center, both from dredward and VWHEAD if possible.. please Wink

Nice Job VWHEAD Exclamation Exclamation Looks clean as ours Wink Applause

Bring a tape measure if your going to bURNINGvAN Jon. Let's do some measuring and good conversation Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stephan,you have paved the road for California Smog Approved 1.8T Vanagons. This is the beginning of something so special,I'm honored to be part of it and follow in your footsteps! This thread was intended to let people see this happening! VW Logo VW Logo VW Logo
---------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jon_slider wrote:

My Single Cab Syncro 1.8T has a wheel center of 14" and the bottom of the skid plate to the ground is 12" without the skid it's 13"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I get a measurement from one of you fine 1.8T-owning gentlemen? From the crankshaft bolt to whatever-the-tallest-point-is? Center of bolt preferably.

Trying to figure out how one of these engines might fit the Bay Bus engine compartment, but the 1.8Ts don't show up in the local pick-n-pull yards for me to measure myself, and I haven't stumbled across dimensions online either.

Thanks!
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Could I get a measurement from one of you fine 1.8T-owning gentlemen? From the crankshaft bolt to whatever-the-tallest-point-is? Center of bolt preferably.

Trying to figure out how one of these engines might fit the Bay Bus engine compartment, but the 1.8Ts don't show up in the local pick-n-pull yards for me to measure myself, and I haven't stumbled across dimensions online either.

Thanks!

There is a guy offering a completed swap(1.8t) into a bay somewhere on the Samba. I've been trying to find his ad again but with no luck. A friend has enquired about haveing me do one......
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Very clean installation. Do you have any pictures of the that explain your exhaust isolation strategy?

tristessa wrote:

Roughly 17.5" from the center of the crank bolt to the hump on the valve cover. I could take a better measurement if you need it down to the millimeter, but the measurement that I took is within a few millimeters.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you want to Tristessa!

There is a guy here in Ottawa that has done one. I have seen it a couple of times. Plenty of room in the bay. He used a motor from an A4 audi. I didn't get a good look at the mounts or anything. In the srping when I see it again I'll be sure to take pictures.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
You know you want to Tristessa!

There is a guy here in Ottawa that has done one. I have seen it a couple of times. Plenty of room in the bay. He used a motor from an A4 audi. I didn't get a good look at the mounts or anything. In the srping when I see it again I'll be sure to take pictures.

Craig

That would be sweet! I really wana do a Bay window and Possibly a fast back or square back. I've seen it done on a notchback but i'd feel weird cutting/butchering one to do this swap. However if someone were to pay me to do theirs i'd be all over it!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> My Single Cab Syncro 1.8T has a wheel center of 14" and the bottom of the skid plate to the ground is 12" without the skid it's 13"

Thanks for playing along with my numerical mind.

So in your case, the ground clearance, with skid plate is 2" below the wheel center.

You can see that this dimension will not change regardless of wheel size. It is intended to determine how high the motor sits in the engine bay basically.

In my sad case, my skid plate hangs 3" below the center of my wheels. I would have preferred a raised decklid.

I realize nobody asks the type of number questions I do, so I appreciate you sharing it for my benefit.

and yes Stephan, looking forward to seeing you, and having you drive my TDi van again, since the 4.86 R&P is now a 5.43, the turbo lag is much smaller.

oh, and my stock 85 2wd westy wheel center is 11.75", and my ground clearance is 10.5".. So that van's motor sits just 1.25" below the center of the wheels.

That is the number to meet or beat imho.

more data welcome.
silversyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our syncro westy has just rounded the 40k mile mark on Stephans 1.8T conversion, that he installed almost 3 years ago. Its been nothing short of amazing!
We live at 9300 ft in southern colorado, & I commute 130 miles every day over Molas, Coalbank, & Red mtn. passes. (each @ 11,00ft).
We regularly see winter temps of -25 deg. F below zero, (ALWASE fires right up..no block/coolant heater) and summer temps of 90-100 deg. (never an overheat...even with AC cranking)
This van is set up with 6.17 R&P's, decoupler, lockers front & rear, lifted. I am now running a 225/75/16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR. I am also running the Stage 1 programming. I average 17mpg on my daily commute (HUGE ski box on top too).
Ground clearance is stock basically(other than the suspension & tire lift), as I believe most syncro 1.8t conversions utilize the stock mustache bar and stock syncro skid plate system.
We have never busted a CV joint or axle, and I use only STOCK lobro products, & I drive this rig EVERYWHERE!
We have not had any tranny issues...that were engine related. I did end up with a bad pinion shaft that was replaced under warrantee by AA Transaxle, but that was just bad metallurgy...bad luck.
The raised deck lid does NOT ruin the lower bunk. Yes, to keep a flat sleeping surface, one must trim the rear cushion down about 1.5 inches, or, like Dredward, just throw a mattress topper over the stock cushions. No big deal really, and the way Stephan does his, you actually gain some really cool useable storage cubbies.
The best part of this conversion, in my opinion, is not the amazing (almost overkill) power, the smooth quiet performance (the f-ing intercooler fan is louder than the motor!), the cold AC, the rock solid Cruize control, the great mileage, the emissions compliance, etc, etc...all those attributes are great...but the biggest bonus is that after 8 years of ownership and 2 previous engine conversions, I finally have NO concerns about throwing my wife the keys to the bus to haul the girls around, get groceries, go skiing, sledding, swimming, whatever! I no longer haul spare parts & tons of testing equipment around..we just drive the snot out of it...like a modern rig...like it ought to be after shelling out all those $$$$.
That is one thing my friends with zetec's, svx's. 5cyl tdi's, just won't do.
The fact that the engine is cali smog certified says more about it than just emissions compliance. It means the the ENTIRE engine & management system is in tact. No hacks, no major mods, nothing removed to make it work in the van...this also means its incredibly easy to maintain & shops don't get scared when they look at it, they just scan it & go to work.

The only thing I think I would do different, is the intercooler set up. Not that Ive had any issues...but the horizontal orientation of the intercooler, right behind the pass. rear wheel, tends to collect a lot of crap, and the cooling fins get pretty munged-up. I can only assume this will lead to reduced cooling ability (increased IAT's) over time. Perhaps a vertical mounting orientation would work a little better?
I know Stephan already offers a new air to water intercooler system, that probably does wonders to lower IAT's...for now, I just clean out my intercooler "radiator" occasionally when I hit the car wash.

Anyway, great conversion, great people=great upgrade to yer van! Very Happy
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Roughly 17.5" from the center of the crank bolt to the hump on the valve cover. I could take a better measurement if you need it ..

If that's the highest point of the engine (taller than the intake manifold?) that should be a "good enough" measurement.

Gonna run out to the driveway with a tape measure and see if I should keep an eye out for an AEB or ATW engine. I've got a JH-code 1.8L in there right now, so a lot of the existing engineering should swap over .. though I should probably upgrade to an 091 transaxle. '75 still used the weaker 002 box, and mine's been whine-y since I bought it eight years ago.

This could be .. interesting. Twisted Evil

EDIT: looks like I'll have to lower the drivetrain by at most 1" to have enough clearance. Which would put ground clearance in the engine area roughly back to "stock T4" .. the horror! Laughing
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silversyncro wrote:
Our syncro westy has just rounded the 40k mile mark on Stephans 1.8T conversion, that he installed almost 3 years ago. Its been nothing short of amazing!
We live at 9300 ft in southern colorado, & I commute 130 miles every day over Molas, Coalbank, & Red mtn. passes. (each @ 11,00ft).
We regularly see winter temps of -25 deg. F below zero, (ALWASE fires right up..no block/coolant heater) and summer temps of 90-100 deg. (never an overheat...even with AC cranking)
This van is set up with 6.17 R&P's, decoupler, lockers front & rear, lifted. I am now running a 225/75/16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR. I am also running the Stage 1 programming. I average 17mpg on my daily commute (HUGE ski box on top too).
Ground clearance is stock basically(other than the suspension & tire lift), as I believe most syncro 1.8t conversions utilize the stock mustache bar and stock syncro skid plate system.
We have never busted a CV joint or axle, and I use only STOCK lobro products, & I drive this rig EVERYWHERE!
We have not had any tranny issues...that were engine related. I did end up with a bad pinion shaft that was replaced under warrantee by AA Transaxle, but that was just bad metallurgy...bad luck.
The raised deck lid does NOT ruin the lower bunk. Yes, to keep a flat sleeping surface, one must trim the rear cushion down about 1.5 inches, or, like Dredward, just throw a mattress topper over the stock cushions. No big deal really, and the way Stephan does his, you actually gain some really cool useable storage cubbies.
The best part of this conversion, in my opinion, is not the amazing (almost overkill) power, the smooth quiet performance (the f-ing intercooler fan is louder than the motor!), the cold AC, the rock solid Cruize control, the great mileage, the emissions compliance, etc, etc...all those attributes are great...but the biggest bonus is that after 8 years of ownership and 2 previous engine conversions, I finally have NO concerns about throwing my wife the keys to the bus to haul the girls around, get groceries, go skiing, sledding, swimming, whatever! I no longer haul spare parts & tons of testing equipment around..we just drive the snot out of it...like a modern rig...like it ought to be after shelling out all those $$$$.
That is one thing my friends with zetec's, svx's. 5cyl tdi's, just won't do.
The fact that the engine is cali smog certified says more about it than just emissions compliance. It means the the ENTIRE engine & management system is in tact. No hacks, no major mods, nothing removed to make it work in the van...this also means its incredibly easy to maintain & shops don't get scared when they look at it, they just scan it & go to work.

Anyway, great conversion, great people=great upgrade to yer van! Very Happy

Very well said 100% agreed..... Cool Smile
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 1.8T hits the road with it's new stage 2 exhaust system!

What do you think?

Syncrofest Ready!

SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very tidy and I like the engine lid clearance idea.

If I hadn't already started down the paths that I have with all of my projects... this would probably be at the top of the list.

1.8T 20V engines are all over the place in the UK!

Nice work.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah about $950 (+$hipping$) away from those sexy (and over priced) carrier bars/mounts.

syncrodoka wrote:
davevickery wrote:

Ack, that bar is a long way from these very sexy looking bars

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silversyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats EXACTLY how I have my stage two exhaust set up as well!
Question though...since I believe you live in Cali...
Were you able to pass your inspection with that CAT? My understanding was that they only accepted original equipment for your smog cert?

Factory cats are pretty bucky! I just replaced mine with one that looks just like yours & saved like $500!
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWhead wrote:
Another 1.8T hits the road with it's new stage 2 exhaust system!

What do you think?

Syncrofest Ready!

Looks great Paul!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: