Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another 1.8T hits the road !!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
dredward wrote:

[/b] You qouted me as needing a rebuild when i was on my same trans with ove 150k was makeing noise. I replaced with a trans of 100k and stopped doing figure 8's and burn outs. Have been driveing normal and no probs or noise.... "."

so can you do figure 8's and burnouts with half the horsepower?

Possibly Wink Razz
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the 1.8T becoming a more popular option here in Cali. Sounds like a great motor choice for our Vanagons.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
> yup
take it from me, Im no expert, but I do play one on the internet

I know.

I don't have any problems with the 1.8T, as far as I am concerned more repowering options helps keep the cars from going to the wrecking yard(but if they are there I have no problems picking them clean).

I have seen both of VWhead's installs firsthand and they are clean, clean, clean.

Come on man!!!! Where is my love!!!???? Razz

Respect Razz
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
> yup

I know.

I don't have any problems with the 1.8T, as far as I am concerned more repowering options helps keep the cars from going to the wrecking yard(but if they are there I have no problems picking them clean).

I have seen both of VWhead's installs firsthand and they are clean, clean, clean.

Come on man!!!! Where is my love!!!???? Razz
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:

[/b] You qouted me as needing a rebuild when i was on my same trans with ove 150k was makeing noise. I replaced with a trans of 100k and stopped doing figure 8's and burn outs. Have been driveing normal and no probs or noise.... "."

so can you do figure 8's and burnouts with half the horsepower?
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Vanagon guys are so cheap...Sad

Build it right the first time. Your wallet will be happier.

A well engineered product that fits, and is simple. Genius!

YEP again!!!
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Mr. Unpopular wrote:
Below 2,000 RPM, the 1.8T is a motor with less displacement than a stock vanagon, and the torque rolls in with boost.

The torque curve of the 1.8 is amazing. My engine hits peak torque at 1750 and it holds it in an almost flat line up to about 5000 rpms.

YEP!
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
I'd say the 1.8T would be more kind to tranny's and CV's because while it makes great torque, it's not at very low RPM's which will break parts on launch. Below 2,000 RPM, the 1.8T is a motor with less displacement than a stock vanagon, and the torque rolls in with boost.

Now take a 1.8T vanagon to the drag strip, drive it like you stole it, and yeah, you'll break parts.

FWIW, I have several friends with rail buggys running Honda J35 V6's that make 300 hp. They also run at least 31" tall tires. They all run stock bus trans, but they don't dump the clutch so they don't have issues.

Yes. i did this for over a yr and my trans was showing some complaints but never BROKE before i replaced it....
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> Vans with stock CVs, axles and trannys have broken them, doubling the HP wouldn't do anything? I am excited about this.

the most notorious tranny breaker on this forum, SyncroGhia, claimed to be chipped up above 300ft lbs.. I dont see a big problem with motors that stay below 200, like a stock 1.8T..

here are some 1.8T power specs on beetsports page:
http://www.h2ovanagon.com/H2oVanagonConversions/OurEngineConversion.aspx

"yup
take it from me, Im no expert, but I do play one on the internet"
yes you do Jon.
"when stock motors break stuff, it sure is not the horsepower that is doing it, I would say it was abuse, or driving "style"
Been saying this folks..............
[bI spend enough time online to hear of tranny problems with various motors.. I almost never hear of problems with subaru 2.5 or smaller.. I have heard of problems with SVX's, and chipped TDi's
]"Im pretty sure more horsepower wont break stuff spontaneously just because the power is there.. It takes a certain Driving Style, to break stuff, regardless of horsepower..
[/b] Yep, been saying this.............
"and I think stock axles make good fuses to protect transaxles, so I dont necessarily think it helps a tranny to be paired with more power, AND stronger axles and Cv's[b] Yep said thius too....
" this too...........
"when I discussed tranny concerns regarding 1.8T's here on samba, there were a couple reports of tranny rebuilds, but it was not conclusive that any damage was caused by the motor, rather it seemed simply that old trannies on schedule for rebuilds, were being regeared slightly, during a rubuild, to create a taller 4th gear for the 1.8T
You qouted me as needing a rebuild when i was on my same trans with ove 150k was makeing noise. I replaced with a trans of 100k and stopped doing figure 8's and burn outs. Have been driveing normal and no probs or noise.... "."
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
> No problem with stock tranny and cv axles ?

correct, you do not need to regear the tranny, although you will be able to use larger tires, which make your gearing taller, and the 1.8T motor, unchipped, will not destroy your tranny, nor your CV's or axles.

I believe what breaks trannys is motors chipped up above 230 ft lbs of torque

and I believe what breaks CV's is excess axle and CV angle, from excess suspension lift

Vans with stock CVs, axles and trannys have broken them, doubling the HP wouldn't do anything? I am excited about this.

True dat!!!!
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:

correct, you do not need to regear the tranny, although you will be able to use larger tires, which make your gearing taller, and the 1.8T motor, unchipped, will not destroy your tranny, nor your CV's or axles.

and I believe what breaks CV's is excess axle and CV angle, from excess suspension lift

Vans with stock CVs, axles and trannys have broken them, doubling the HP wouldn't do anything? I am excited about this.

YEP!!! Love ya bra!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

dropping the tranny, (I think I read in this thread that the tranny is lowered), reduces axle and CV angle, making them less likely to break.

For people interested in the cost and installation options for a 1.8T, I recommend you contact VWHEAD and beetsport privately. Best not to ask for kit pricing info in this forum, it can be misconstrued as advertising, which belongs in the classifieds, and it brings out the haters.

I think the best move for a vendor, is to link a signature line in their posts, to a classified ad for their product or services.

"correct, you do not need to regear the tranny, although you will be able to use larger tires, which make your gearing taller, and the 1.8T motor, unchipped, will not destroy your tranny, nor your CV's or axles.
No regearing needed(i've done it i know). You can use largfer tires to regear and be just fine or better. I haven't destroyed a cv or axle yet thats with over 15k miles. Even chipped the 1.8t wiil not blow axles or trans if driven normally. When driven hard core a stocker will destroy parts. I also can installo the 1.8t. I am the second to intsall and get past the ref. "." Withy help from Stephan Very Happy
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
No business, and my shop is in my back yard. Yes, I know because of this my overhead is low and this is an unfair comparison, but you can have a whole roll cage bent and welded in a car by a shop for the price he's charging for a few feet of tubing and some plate steel.
Labor must be cheap in hurricane country!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> yup

I know.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ack, that bar is a long way from these very sexy looking bars
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon guys are so cheap...Sad

Build it right the first time. Your wallet will be happier.

A well engineered product that fits, and is simple. Genius!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Mr. Unpopular wrote:
Below 2,000 RPM, the 1.8T is a motor with less displacement than a stock vanagon, and the torque rolls in with boost.

The torque curve of the 1.8 is amazing. My engine hits peak torque at 1750 and it holds it in an almost flat line up to about 5000 rpms.

That is what makes it such a great engine for our vans. You really get the best of both worlds. The low RPM torque similar to a diesel, great fuel efficiency, and high revs to give you horsepower when you need it. And really quiet too, and smooth.

RonC
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1.8T converted van and it is mounted using a modified stock mustache bar. Here is a pic for what it is worth. Dave
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the 1.8T would be more kind to tranny's and CV's because while it makes great torque, it's not at very low RPM's which will break parts on launch. Below 2,000 RPM, the 1.8T is a motor with less displacement than a stock vanagon, and the torque rolls in with boost.

Now take a 1.8T vanagon to the drag strip, drive it like you stole it, and yeah, you'll break parts.

FWIW, I have several friends with rail buggys running Honda J35 V6's that make 300 hp. They also run at least 31" tall tires. They all run stock bus trans, but they don't dump the clutch so they don't have issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: