Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Wheel Adapter Clearance Issue?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Porsche Wheel Adapter Clearance Issue? Reply with quote

I'm interested in installing some Porsche Cookie Cutters on my '66 using the wide VW 5-lug pattern to Porsche adapters. I know if I had the $, I'd opt for pre-drilled wheel drums, but funds are limited. Can you tell me of any clearance problems I might run into? Are these adapters more for baja bugs? I plan on using 15" x 6"W Cookie Cutters, most likely for in-town cruising, nothing long distance. I'll keep the bug at stock height and will most likely be using 165 R15 radial tires. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adaptors are going to add about 0.5" and the wheels are 2" wider than stock. 165's may be too small for them.
Without even trying them on I would think they are going to stick out past the fenders, probably rub somewhere and of course put extra load and stress on the wheel bearings front and back.
I only hope to help you make the right choice, so please don't shoot the messenger Smile

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck getting those tires to bead up, they are WAY to skinny for that wheel, it'll be unsafe and handle like shit. You'll need to go to a 195 or 205 size tire

brad
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most wheel adapters add 1" to each side! Then as pointed out, your cookies are much wider then the stock wheels.

Before you give up on having your drums redrilled, why not get a quote from your macine shop, or at least price drums and wheel adapters so you know what to expect.

If you go with new drums, don't forget the price of studs and lug nuts, or the cost of longer lug bolts to hold those thicker cookies.
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Good luck getting those tires to bead up, they are WAY to skinny for that wheel, it'll be unsafe and handle like shit. You'll need to go to a 195 or 205 size tire

brad

They will work just fine and bead up ok. It's only a 15x6 wheel.
However they will probably look stupid. But if your broke and that's all you got. Use them.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubnut58 wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

brad

They will work just fine and bead up ok. It's only a 15x6 wheel.
However they will probably look stupid. But if your broke and that's all you got. Use them.

No....... they won't work "just fine". The tire will be stretched too far on the rim and could come off while cornering, not a good thing. Buy the right size tires for the wheels.

brad
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

brad

HA!
Don't let the water cooled boys hear you say that Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Now I'm REALLY confused! LOL I guess I'll be dealing with some trial and error here.
You all make valid points, though. I was hoping to find someone who had actually dealt with this exact
situation on their bug, but valid points you've made have helped open my eyes a bit.
I already have the adapters and should be getting some wheels from a buddy. I'll see what happens
with different size tires, then post pictures with results in the event someone else has a crack-pot
idea like mine in the future... Thanks all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

brad

HA!
Don't let the water cooled boys hear you say that Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Perfect example of a blowout waiting to happen. I've now seen it all in 23 years of fixin cars for a livin' Brick wall

S-Wood, save a few bucks and get the right tires for your rims, you'll be much happier in the end. The car will handle much better and be safer.

brad
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you're not closer. I have several different Porsche wheels here mounted up with different size tires. You could come by and try them out to see what fits.
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this guy is wanting to run a 165 on his 6" wide rim and you are saying it won't work...i'd hate to tell ya what's on mine
Embarassed coughcough135coughcough Embarassed

they look damn good too

GRANTED, i doubt i'll run them like that, it's a bit of a stretch

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 165 on a 5.5 inch rim is so cmmon, I doubt sincerly the exta .25 on each side is going to cause problems. Another personal belief post stated as fact
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many cars are out there with 135's on 15x6's? I am just saying. Back in the day I had a set of 15x6 Fuchs with 145's and 165's. Never any issues. He is not auto crossing the car. He even said "around town driving"
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope - that's cool of you...thanks for the offer!

My around town driving shouldn't be above 40mph (probably top speed with me &
the Mrs in it!). If I need to take it at a higher speed somewhere out of town, I'll just put
my stock wheels back on it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if you did have an issue with the wheels being too wide for the tires (which they arent) the only time there would be an issue is sideways, not driving speed.

if you happened to be sliding sideways in an emergency, 165's would be more likely to pop off the bead on a 6 inch wide wheel, than a 4 inch wide wheel. again, sideways, not normal driving. you will be fine to go faster than 40
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
drscope - that's cool of you...thanks for the offer!

My around town driving shouldn't be above 40mph (probably top speed with me &
the Mrs in it!). If I need to take it at a higher speed somewhere out of town, I'll just put
my stock wheels back on it.

That is NOT a very good goal or attitude to have with your car! If it's not safe, or stable at highway speeds, it's not safe or stable for around town driving either!

YOU only have one neck! Why risk it on an unsafe set up just to look cool?

I can hear the spectators now - "Yep, hes dead as a door nail. But man those are some cool looking wheels and tires. Shame they blew out and caused him to crash into that oncoming truck".

And Erik G, even if you did have an issue with the wheels being too wide for the tires (which they arent) the only time there would be an issue is sideways, not driving speed.

When things are going bad and the car is sliding out of control, that is NOT the time I want to be wondering if the tire is going to come off the bead. Thats the time I need to KNOW it is going to stay on the bead!
vwpackrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 165 is just fine on a 6" rim. Look at all the VW catalogs that sell 15x5 1/2" chrome smoothies with 165 tire/rim combo package, I doubt a 1/4" each side gonna make that much difference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: