Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heartbreaking Crash Pics
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Heartbreaking Crash Pics Reply with quote

I know these will be hard to stomach for most of us, but lots of us have had the
misfortune of having one (or more) of our beloved VW's wrecked in some unfortunate
mishap. Anyone willing to share some of their disturbing pics along with a short
description of what happened without having to make another appointment
with the local shrink, please do!

Here's a '63 ragtop I was rear-ended in while on the 710fwy in SoCal.
The uninsured idiot who hit me (while I was at a complete stop in traffic)
pushed me into another car, and screwed me over by giving me fake
insurance and ID info....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Heartbreaking Crash Pics Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:

This is why you NEVER EVER give a break to anyone that has crashed into you! And you ALWAYS call the cops!

Many years ago my 63 got hit while it was parked. I was sitting IN the car at the time. We exchanged info but the guy didn't want to inform his insurance company so he never gave me any insurance information.

I was young and stupid and didn't know any better.

I got an estimate and called the guy at his home number which he had given me. He no longer wanted to pay for the damage because my car was old. He wanted to just pay half the damage.

This turned into a long drawn out ordeal and I was at a loss because I hadn't called the cops, or informed his insurance company of the damage.

In the end I had to do some investigating and I discovered a LOT about this guy. Finally a call to him at work and a threat that if he didn't pay, his car would soon be worse off then mine, got me paid in full.

Call the cops when something like this happens. Thats what they get paid for. They may not show up, but at least make the call.

And now days almost everyone has a cell phone with a camera built in. Get photos of the other driver, his car and his plates.

At the scene of an accident is NOT the place to be the nice guy especially if you are not the one at fault! You can be the nice guy latter after you really find out what and who you are dealing with.

Too bad about your bug.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was young & stupid (now I'm pretty much OLD & stupid per my wife) at the time which was in 1989. It turned out the guy who hit me was driving his uncle's pickup, and the insurance info he had given me was bogus. Back then, cell phones (let alone camera phones) weren't even part of my vocabulary! In the middle of rush hour traffic, it was easier for me to exchange info, leave my bug on the center divider (it wasn't driveable), and get a ride to the nearest phone booth to call for a ride (and bring a tow bar with you!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Heartbreaking Crash Pics Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
sportin-wood wrote:

This is why you NEVER EVER give a break to anyone that has crashed into you! And you ALWAYS call the cops!

Many years ago my 63 got hit while it was parked. I was sitting IN the car at the time. We exchanged info but the guy didn't want to inform his insurance company so he never gave me any insurance information.

I was young and stupid and didn't know any better.

I got an estimate and called the guy at his home number which he had given me. He no longer wanted to pay for the damage because my car was old. He wanted to just pay half the damage.

This turned into a long drawn out ordeal and I was at a loss because I hadn't called the cops, or informed his insurance company of the damage.

In the end I had to do some investigating and I discovered a LOT about this guy. Finally a call to him at work and a threat that if he didn't pay, his car would soon be worse off then mine, got me paid in full.

Call the cops when something like this happens. Thats what they get paid for. They may not show up, but at least make the call.

And now days almost everyone has a cell phone with a camera built in. Get photos of the other driver, his car and his plates.

At the scene of an accident is NOT the place to be the nice guy especially if you are not the one at fault! You can be the nice guy latter after you really find out what and who you are dealing with.

Too bad about your bug.

no offense meant, but that may work in your state. In Texas, the cops will do absolutely nothing except hand you a form. Accident investigation is the responsibility of the insurance company

Seriously! I couldnt believe that shit! and get this...A shop doesnt have to have your consent to repair your vehichle. If the tow truck driver that the cops call out takes it to his shop, they will start working on it. If you ask for an estimite, they do not have to give one to you. It's crazyness I tell ya. People say CA is a crazy place with too many laws, but at least the consumer is protected
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of times the cops won't even show up unless there is enough personal injury to call an ambulance.

But call them anyway! Yes in most cases all they do is give you some papers, but their presence is often enough to keep the other guy from giving you false information.

It may not work, but in many cases that simple phone call can save you a lot of troubles latter on.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Heartbreaking Crash Pics Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

no offense meant, but that may work in your state. In Texas, the cops will do absolutely nothing except hand you a form. Accident investigation is the responsibility of the insurance company

Yet ANOTHER reason to NOT live in TEXAS!!! I think this reason makes #628!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Monster 15 window after I was hit by a driver in a Volvo that ran a red light. I am insured through Hagerty, and they totaled it. I got my agreed value for it, and was going to buy it back. They list their wrecks on copart.com, and someone bid $5700 for it, so I didn't buy it back and fix it. I wish I knew where it is now. I've not heard of any sightings.

Central Jersey VW Society
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give 5700 for that too! Food for thought for those of us that insure low Shocked
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: heartbreaking Crash Reply with quote

In Dallas they will now, due to a new law passed, impound your car if you don't have insurance and are involved in a wreck. They can check by computer on site to see if the insurance is really in force.

Not sure about the rest of the State or the backwoods areas where Barney Fife rules.

This photo was in '96 and an uninsured idiot hit me. Slid out his lane into mine and hit me head on. The police said they would like to put him under the jail, but had to let him go with a ticket. I did get about $600 out of him, but of course the car was totaled.

Learned the hard lesson to always have uninsured motorist coverage. You also call your own wrecker, ride with him and tell him to go where you decide to take it.

gavin.dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I didn't look at these pictures, its seriously depressing. Only wreck I've been in I was when I was riding my vespa and some old guy driving some plastic piece of shit came over in my lane and I had to Dodge him and the light ahead turned red while I was tryin not to get smashed and I didn't have enough time to stop cuz it was wet and I hit the brakes and skidded right through the light and t-boned some lady at 25mph and busted her window with my helmet. But i will say the scoot took it pretty well, it crumpled the fender and tweaked the handlebars a bit and that was it, it started first kick when I picked it up and I rode it up to a parking lot and I'm sure I coulda rode it home but I wasnt too scared. Anyways I now carry a weapon in all my rides just in case someone scratches something I can get out and destroy their car
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG vs dodge 1500 truck that ran a red last week, it was his daily driver all year round.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/viewshow/967592175-1326503592-67104/parm/

That should just buff out, won't it?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap

Last edited by W1K1 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 am; edited 2 times in total
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the pic, W1K1. Bad link?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavin.dude wrote:
I wish I didn't look at these pictures, its seriously depressing.

perhaps you expected something different given the topic title Question
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking Crash Reply with quote

Harris wrote:

You also call your own wrecker, ride with him and tell him to go where you decide to take it.

Best place to take it is HOME. That way you have time to think. After a crash emotions and adrenalin can make your decisions a bit fuzzy. And it’s difficult to think about too many things.

If you have it at home, you can get your personal things out of it before they disappear.

It also assures that everything is there when an adjuster does show up. And sometimes dealing with the adjuster face to face can give you a little peace of mind during the process. (nothing different is going to happen in the outcome, but it’s nice to deal with them directly)

And if it is a situation where you are thinking about buying back a totaled car, you know what you are dealing with. If it’s at the tow yard or the salvage yard, or even at a shop, things like wheels, tires and stereos have a way of disappearing.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
KG vs dodge 1500 truck that ran a red last week, it was his daily driver all year round.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/viewshow/967592175-1326503592-67104/parm/

That should just buff out, won't it?

Did he survive that?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did he survive that?

Yes, he's fine.
No passengers that day, he was on the way home from work.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
lowmitsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
Did he survive that?

Yes, he's fine.

Wow that car is f***ed...
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowmitsu wrote:
W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
Did he survive that?

Yes, he's fine.

Wow that car is f***ed...

Flipped?
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witnesses can make all the difference. I saw a accident one time when this girl flew through a red light and was cclipped by someone going the other way who couldn't avoid it. The cop could care less about what I had to say and would only say it was a civil matter. I gave my name and number to the person who couldn't avoid it and did nothing wrong anyway. Sure enough, the light runner said the other person ran the light and was going after the person who did nothing wrong. It was my statement that changed the blame by the insurance companies. Some people are sooo sheisty.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some bad ones

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=428177
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: