Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

91Transporter16" wrote:
I sell the reinforcing plates as well.
$38 for a set and $28 for the bracket that supports
the carrier bar on the left side.

Tony

http://tinypic.com/m/i1ehhg/1

I will vouch for Tony and his fabricated parts. Quality parts and gentlemanly service. I will gladly purchase from again.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:

I will vouch for Tony and his fabricated parts. Quality parts and gentlemanly service. I will gladly purchase from again.

Yes, I had already purchased his motor mount brackets for my ABA swap. Have PayPal'ed him and he's sending the bracket tomorrow.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 VS '83 diesel engine carrier bars differences Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Here is what I have done, mostly mimicking the VW method.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark

Hi folks.

I'm making reinforcement plates today.

Are folks making their plates out of 1/8" ?

The plate in the above image looks about 1/8" and the rough measurement of the OEM plates on my '81 shows about 2.5 - 3 mm thickness. Just double checking before I start hacking away. Wink

Thanks.

Neil.

thanks.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
91Transporter16"
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

If you are not bending the edges like the factory plates, make them out of 1/4".

Tony

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2080550
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

91Transporter16" wrote:
If you are not bending the edges like the factory plates, make them out of 1/4".

Tony

Thanks Tony. I wondered about that aspect. You obviously know this stuff but for others using the early bars on a PS equipped Vanagon, with the part now in hand, it looks like the OEM PS reservoir bracket will have to be shaped to fit around a gusset on the carrier to body bracket. No big deal though.

So many details. e.g. my Audi 5000 mount sure sits close to the oil pan. Even with engine weight on it. Maybe that's part of why some use the Saab or similar smaller hydro mount.

Are the arms off the engine to carrier bars the same (edit: length) for all diesel Vanagons?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

I think that PS bracket needs to be cut off and re-installed elsewhere on most 50 degree installs, at least that's been my experience. I had to do this on my 15 degree install, as well.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I think that PS bracket needs to be cut off and re-installed elsewhere on most 50 degree installs, at least that's been my experience. I had to do this on my 15 degree install, as well.

Hmm.... well, its off and still in pretty good shape. Would an engine accessory interfere with the reservoir mounted in the OEM position? No worries right now of course. PS is last on the list.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

Hey, that's a pretty clean cut!

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but before you settle on it's final resting place, make sure you can bolt up the stock WBX PS return/feed lines. I ended up placing it in a different location than I had planned at the outset, for this very reason.

y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Hey, that's a pretty clean cut!

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but before you settle on it's final resting place, make sure you can bolt up the stock WBX PS return/feed lines. I ended up placing it in a different location than I had planned at the outset, for this very reason.

Edit: and if I'd removed that bracket while the engine was out, I could've used an angle grinder cut off. Would've taken less time. Hint to others: Easier to remove that part while engine is out! Wink d'oh!

Oh, I hired out for that cutting job. LOL. Thanks. Ya, I used my Dremel with metal wheel, then it started to die so cold chisel, a little bending, then some hammer and vice work to kind of straighten it.

Hmm.... well, if I can find a way to adapt the Vanagon PS pump to the ABA, I will. As for the lines, they're pretty rusty so I"m hoping I can keep the reservoir/pump position close to stock when it comes time to install new rubber front to back PS hoses.

Nice install. Lots of room!

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

I was able to use the stock WBX high and low pressure lines on the ALH PS pump. I'm not sure what pump the ABA uses, but have you checked to see if the banjos are the same?

y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I was able to use the stock WBX high and low pressure lines on the ALH PS pump. I'm not sure what pump the ABA uses, but have you checked to see if the banjos are the same?

Good to know Casey. Thanks.

I haven't checked yet but they may be. But, as was pointed out to me by someone else, is the [presumably] smaller I4 pump sufficient enough, over the long term, to power the Vanagon PS rack? But maybe that's splitting hairs?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

91Transporter16" wrote:

Tony

Thanks again Tony for that tip. I looked at the factory plates on my '81. I see what you mean.

For anyone other first timers diving into this, though I've had a little DIY type "fabricating" experience, I'd suggest its not too hard to more or less replicate the OEM edge bends. It seems to me though, that accurately transferring a mark from the apron to the point on plate where cuts are made, is important. Adjustments could be made at the bolt holes though.

I work slow, but for POV, this took about 5 hours. Sad, yes, but true. At some point I do wonder what my times worth; I'm sure that for most folks, it makes better sense to buy the part.

I'm not suggesting that swaps using 1/8" plates without bends are some how suffering without this; I know too little to say. I mostly did this to see if I could. Obviously the bends add a little rigidity but it now seems obvious that welding the bend to frame will provide even more strength.

Ironically, the first bracket turned out better than the second. In hindsight, I should've extended the bend further than the ~ 10mm shown and run the ear down onto the horizontal plane like the factory part. Just couldn't "see" how to do it at the time.

Neil.

This is the first one. Made these brackets with basic hand tools. Callipers, cut off wheel. I was able to anneal the metal to slightly dark red using a propane torch.

driver side

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

I cut one of these out of my former parts van. Still took about an 1.5 to 2 hours to cut grind and chisel it away from the back panel that it was welded on (if that makes you feel better).
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
I cut one of these out of my former parts van. Still took about an 1.5 to 2 hours to cut grind and chisel it away from the back panel that it was welded on (if that makes you feel better).

yes. I feel much better. LOL. Just joking. Wink Oh, I know that drill. I did the same for the upper rad bracket on my air to water cooled swap.

Ya, it doesn't really matter how long it took I was just attempting to shed light on time vs money one might pay to buy the parts new. (does Tony make these?) i.e. I probably paid myself $10 CND/hour at best. But then I learned more. e.g. next time I'd make the bracket adaptor longer so I could bend an ear above the upper bolt hole. I may even weld a small strip of metal on these two bracket adaptors.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

The diesel nose mounts are different from wbx nose mounts because VW tilts the diesel tranny way up at the nose to drop the back of the engine down for better engine lid clearance. The nose mount bolt patterns for 83+ are the same but diesel brackets are taller to angle the nose up. The rear shift rod is then bent differently in diesels to reach the higher lever on the side of the higher mounted trans.

So hypothetically speaking......

if we assume the engine weights are equal, using the same gas 2wd Vanagon, between a WBX and Vanagon diesel mounted in that van, what is the ground clearance difference between the lowest point of oil pan or case and ground? Or put another way, how many inches below the rear apron (where diesel arms mount) does that VW spec of 4º put the diesel crank center?

I imagine I could make a 4º cardboard template?

And am I reading the diagram below correctly?

(I edited it)

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

Neil, since you're welding your own engine brackets to the carrier bars, I wouldn't think it to be important that you hew to that early style of drivetrain orientation. You can move everything further aft and lower like the '83 and later diesels and WBX drivetrains. I assume the later configuration put less strain on the CV joints among other benefits.

y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Neil, since you're welding your own engine brackets to the carrier bars, I wouldn't think it to be important that you hew to that early style of drivetrain orientation. You can move everything further aft and lower like the '83 and later diesels and WBX drivetrains. I assume the later configuration put less strain on the CV joints among other benefits.

For sure Casey. Yes. The mount brackets will be positioned further to rear to accommodate the current OEM WBX 4 speed transmission position.

I'm having trouble deciding on engine height but may mount it so part of the intake is above engine lid. Should I make a custom lower profile intake, raising the engine 1- 1.5" higher shouldn't affect other components.

Ground clearance difference question is mostly academic but I was curious to know where the factory diesel crank lines up with the body for future ABA engine height position reference.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Ground clearance difference question is mostly academic but I was curious to know where the factory diesel crank lines up with the body for future ABA engine height position reference.

Neil.

So I figured this was worth mentioning.

With my 2.1 WBX on the ground, measuring from bottom of carrier bar to crank centre:

~ 8"

Installed ABA with diesel Vanagon oil pan, measuring from bottom of pan to crank centre:

EDIT ~ 5"

Not an accurate measurement on the WBX but it seems to me there's a difference. So, if one is concerned about ground clearance loss, this may figure into that?

EDIT: deleted last paragraph.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

If the crankshaft centerline is set the same installed, it sounds like you would gain 3" clearance with the diesel pan?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 vs. '83 diesel engine carrier bar differences Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
If the crankshaft centerline is set the same installed, it sounds like you would gain 3" clearance with the diesel pan?

That would be my rough guess yes. As mentioned, the WBX was on the ground when I measured it but I measured at least twice and am happy to measure again.

And speaking of ground clearance....

On my 15º ABA, from the ABA oil pan to each frame rail, I see about 11". Add in the Stupendously Horrendous ™ engine carrier that runs under the pan and it becomes 13" or so.

On this current ABA 50º swap, with the engine set low enough so the ABA intake just touches the engine lid foam, from bottom of diesel oil pan, I see 10.75" for same pan to frame rail measurement. With engine at this height, and ever so just slightly toward driver side, the Mk3 PS pump (banjo fastener actually) clears the '82 diesel carrier. I hope. I'd really like to have PS.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: