Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfreckman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

Folks,

I would like to replace the newer, flater black knob window cranks with the older style ivory knob style that mounts with a cross pin.

Is there a window regulator (or just the part that has the splined post) that is drilled for the older style crank that will fit my newer ('71) Beetle?
I have mused on drilling the splined post, but the pin hole is offset, and for me, a real bear to drill....

Can I simply replace the entire window regulator part???

Thanks for any info....

Bill in Euless, TX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
chadmark88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

I'd like to know the answer to THIS question also.

I've done a search, but can't seem to find a good answer - I saw on another website, someone saying the "older style" can be drilled to accept the "newer style" handles. ( but they didn't go into much detail )

"The Only People Worth Getting Even With . . .
. . . Are Those Who Have Helped You"

"If You're Lucky Enough To Be Healthy . . .
. . . You're Lucky Enough"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

Are you talking about these?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2114374

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chadmark88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Are you talking about these?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2114374

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, that's the older style ( 1966 and older ) does anyone know what has to be done to put that one on a 1969 door ?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

put a 65-67 window regulator in your 69 door.
chadmark88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
put a 65-67 window regulator in your 69 door.
I know that would probably work, but I'd like to find out if anyone on here has done it.

vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

Its not that simple. The doors went through a lot of changes.

I have a 68 door on my 74 with a 68 regulator and 74 door latches... and yeah nothing fit right. It's not quite bolt on.
chadmark88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

I'm doing searches to see if anyone makes a reproduction of an Ivory knob that fits on the 68-up beetle. ALSO, there might be an older Ivory Porsche handle that will fit on my 1969 Beetle spline.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

As I recall, the splined shafts are the same, except for the pin groove (its a groove, not a hole). Id think a cleaver lerson could take a fike, or dremel and cut a groove, taking care to not allow chips of metal into the shaft bearing.

attempts to drill using the handle as a guide may not work, as the handle is pot metal, the shaft steel, so the drill will likely wobble about and enlarge the soft pot metal hand,es hole, then the pin would no longer stay tight.

so file or grind a groove for the pin in the shaft. the stock shafts had the groove 360 devress around, but you only need it were the pin lines up.

good luck Keep a Buggin there!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Older window cranks (pinned) for newer style with screws. Reply with quote

use a tap to put threads in the hole and use a set screw to hold it on.
like this, available at your local hardware store
https://www.boltdepot.com/Set_screws_Allen_Cup_point_Stainless_steel_18-8_4-40.aspx
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: