Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding backup light, your recommendation please
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Adding backup light, your recommendation please Reply with quote

hi all,

Sometimes maneuvering in the dark at camp site is quite scary.. trees, boulder, ravine etc. so I plan to add some lighting in the back so I can see better.. I am thinking some kind of light similar to the fog light/off-road light in the front but not as strong...

do you have something to recommend?

thanks in advance
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try DDM Tuning - they're running a 10% off sale on this stuff right now.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with DDM Tuning save as a customer (motorcycle HID lighting kit).
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a relayed 4" rubber utility light (tractor light). I made a simple bracket to mount to steel bumper. Works ok, if I had one criticism it would be that the beam projected is not as wide as I would like.

bracket making:

http://shufti.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/vanagon-syncro-aux-back-up-light-bracket/

light installed:

http://shufti.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/vanagon-syncro-aux-back-up-light-installed/

hope this gives you some ideas.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cannot find the link to Samba member 1621 backup light install, very neat, maybe somebody has it bookmarked?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a backup light kit from KC Hi-Lite, uses a relay (I put it behind L taillight), set of two rectangular lights which I bolted to the rear bumper. Excellent illumination when backing, they are triggered by the backup lights circuit. I also wired a switch at the dash.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
cannot find the link to Samba member 1621 backup light install, very neat, maybe somebody has it bookmarked?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...+fog+light
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, you guys are fast...

teej ...

does a relay is necessity or optional with a 55w light? I plan to hook them up to the reverse circuit at the tail light, which will be turned on when I engage the reverse...

another option is wiring them independently with a switch on the dash and turn them on and off at will when required... but then it needs long wiring from rear to front..

what do you think?

thanks again
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a kit that mounts to my GW trailer hitch.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add relay for sure.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
thanks, you guys are fast...

teej ...

does a relay is necessity or optional with a 55w light? I plan to hook them up to the reverse circuit at the tail light, which will be turned on when I engage the reverse...

another option is wiring them independently with a switch on the dash and turn them on and off at will when required... but then it needs long wiring from rear to front..

what do you think?

thanks again

Well, I have a pretty limited electrical knowledge, so I will not indulge in much advice. I used a relay because the kit came with it. But it was easy enough to keep the load off of the old wiring and just use it (reverse circuit at tail light) to trigger the relay. I got power from the post in the forward left engine compartment box and added a fuse. Actually the real pain was running another optional wire up for the dash switch, which I rarely use (although knowing I have it when being tailgated is satisfying Twisted Evil ).

The lights themselves look very similar to those in Timwhy's pic, I mounted them above the bumper inboard of the tailight assemblies. Protected yes, but I do bump them with my knees sometimes when reaching in.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
[...]does a relay is necessity or optional with a 55w light? I plan to hook them up to the reverse circuit at the tail light, which will be turned on when I engage the reverse...[...]

In a word, yes. The reverse switch is going to be handed something like 6 amps from that light alone (assuming the stock reverse lights - probably pulling about 2 amps each or a total of 10A with the added 55 W lamp - aren't disconnected). You might get by with that - the operative phrase being "getting by". With a relay, you can use both the existing switch and add another, manual switch, too, and not worry about cooking the reverse switch's contacts. Put the switches in parallel to power the lights as you need them, or to have them come on "automagically".
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i added a bosche spotlight as a reverse light, i am fed up with people tailgating me, riding so close i can see their faces
i bolted the light, midway between the license plate and the light cluster i have it wired through an extra rear defroster switch in the dash pod
i can now put it on to reverse, or shine it on numbheads who want to ride my bumper Evil or Very Mad

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea rubbachicken

shine them till they back off.

Very Happy
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
good idea rubbachicken

shine them till they back off.

Very Happy

speed is not something we have, so i always try to keep as far kerb side as i can, to give people as much overtaking room as possible

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about doing pretty much the same thing, but with these caveats.

1) It must be independently switched (not on the reverse switch) because you don't always need it on.
2) I must be mounted high on the back of the van and be bright enough to illuminate the area behind and a little to the sides.

I've been thinking really seriously about something like this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 17 years and 220,000 miles I have had a Bosch FF dual beam work lamp on the rear of the roof of my daily driver LandCruiser. The high up location has proven invaluable, and the dual 55 watt bulbs have provided serious light when I seriously needed it. I realize it takes a commitment of drilling a hole or two for a roof mount, but the high angle and powerful area lighting cannot be disputed. I have had to back out of difficult narrow trails for hundreds of yards, and it is worth the trouble of mounting. Heh - also won a car rally where the finale event was my co driver in the back in the dark maneuvering us through a technical maze (we were ruled OK since the vehicle came equipped this way to the event - heh).

The light goes for about $50 and they still sell it. You can purchase your choice of beam patterns from wide and long to narrow and tall and the patterns are designed for high mounting on a vehicle such as farming and mining equipment. Get the swivel mount as it's easy to mount on sheetmetal and gives you the ability to point it off to the side to look in ditches for something as you drive, etc.

Edit: here it is http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4133 and they have it on sale right now for $37. That's a great deal for a "rest of your life" light.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a Hella 76mm deep 55W rubberized work light on my rear bumper just under the DS tail light. http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=471

I run it relayed on a independent switch not on the taillight circuit. The light is too bright for daily use in parking lots but on the trails it does the job nicely. A advantage on not having it on the reverse circuit and the relay wired hot all of the time is that I can turn it on without the van running and regardless of gear position.
I agree with IdahoDoug that the light mounted up higher is better as it will cast less shadows on uneven terrain. I have used mine to back out of trails in the night and to set up camp and am happy with the compact unit.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock VW fog light switch is a great way to go for a dash mounted switch, it is a 3 position switch set up to run both front and rear fog lights. The only caveat being that the rear lights can't be illuminated seperately from the front, only in tandem with them, which could tend to run down your battery if you leave them on for extended periods.

There are some decent 12V LED work lights that are the same basic size and shape as standard fog lights. The good ones are not cheap, but they put out a pretty amazing amount of light while pulling very few Amps. Replacement LED bulbs for most styles of fog lights should be available from superbrightleds.com, but light output and pattern likely won't be nearly as good as with the purpose designed LED lights.

If anyone wants a simple relay setup for a rear fog light triggered from the reverse switch, I can put together a plug and play harness for around $20.00 + shipping.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I've seen regulations about mounting white lights on the back of cars. You need to check with your local state laws about it. I beleive it's similar to driving lights mounted forward that if their higher than the bumber, you need to have them covered on public roads.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen regulations about mounting white lights on the back of cars. You need to check with your local state laws about it. I beleive it's similar to driving lights mounted forward that if their higher than the bumber, you need to have them covered on public roads.
Blue Bay Bus Don't know about laws but i've been running kc lights for 15 years in COLO.,NM,AZ, and never cover them up and never been stopped.I have yakima roof racks, they make a driving light mount for the rack, it holds two lights. The one on the back has two lights , one looks up one looks down. That covers close things and the other covers the idiots that follow to close! And yes you need to run a fuse and a relay . Put in an extra defroster switch in the 3rd hole down on the dash to run them. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: