Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kellison Astra Body
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
POPPANITROUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison Astra Body Reply with quote

Hello
I'm a newbie here..i just procured this kit and having issues finding
Info on how to build and finish.
Please help[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Bubba Dublyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Astra VW Gt Reply with quote

i also have the car AND the original build sheet, plans and the 3 5X7 black and whites that came with the body, i just recently listed it here in the classifieds. Allied all the way[/img]
whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy That's where it could really get interesting. Who's to say that whomever in the Philippines didn't enter into an agreement to produce the cars there under a different name? Googling the company for photos, the first was an ad from 1968 featuring the car. After all, the Sterling was nothing more than a Nova from the UK when it was first produced here (by a license agreement) - three years after the Nova was conceived!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave. The Allied fiberglass Astra GT & Fiberfab Aztec, are not separated by 10 years from the timetable from when they were made. More like maybe 10 days or so. Both are 1965 designs & both are clearly related to the same body design. Who copied from whom? Heck who really knows. Now then if you want a true clone/slash rip-off of the Fiberfab Aztec..look no further than the EMX Sports coupe from the Phillipines.

Last edited by whcgt on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison Reply with quote

oldSchoolRestorations wrote:
I have been associated with fiberglass cars since 1956, long before your other 'sources' were born, and have easily owned 100 or more of the '50s and 60's fiberglass bodied cars

FACT...I do own both the early AZTEC and the ASTRA VW GT ...and other than the rear window area...the ASTRA is an EXACT 'pop' of , the Fiberfab car from nearly 10 years earlier

FACT ...You can't find ANY Kellison advertisement orperiod correctpress release or article that they built or offered this VW GT body

FACT ...ASTRA had the rights to build some of the real Kellison designs..they were not, as you mentioned earlier " the same " company

I have owned over a dozen Kellisons, including the ultra rare VSR and F/V , J2,J4,J5,J6, and ASTRA GT ...I own a VW GT, and would be happy to call it a Kellison if it were true...but it is NOT

Unfortunately, the lie is perpetuated, because some people in the media no longer care what is true or not................... which is no surprise, given the examples by the news media, and the leadership of this country .....and many deceptions are considered 'truth'.
on your website, you can decide whether to check the facts and present valid information, or just repeat others mis-statements.

. who cares about credibility these days anyway .......
. Shame on you
pw8penguins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stirring the pot..Then in the original Ad I have who's the guy standing next to the car?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple..go back and read what was written 'back in the day'.

You will find NOTHING that supports this being a Kellison.

" It's on the internet, so it must be true"
only a low information person believes that.

In the end scheme... what does it really matter? It doesn't, if you have NO STANDARDS, and apparently , you don't, to make a comment like that

LOL...

Laughing Love it! Yep, I have no standards, yet I try to compile a complete history on the cars I know, own, and love and try to make it as accurate as possible. And still, yes, in the end it really doesn't matter except to the very few who understand the kit car concept and can appreciate any potential heritage they have. So what if the Astra wasn't a Kellison? It still has it's place in the VW kit heritage just from the apparent fact that it was a re-pop of an existing vehicle. To the average "viewer" of the car, it's just another "cheap VW kit car" and nothing more. To an owner or collector it stands for much more than that. So lighten up. The age of the vintage kit cars has been over for decades - heritage really doesn't matter to the new generation of VW owners anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Dale I have never seen a Lincoln catalog, but that is where the Sand piper started or so I believe. Jim Purchased all or part of that company in the late 60s. Maybe the Lincoln Sand Piper had some differences?

That is also the company Jim used to Rip off the Loring Gezelle and call it the "Dagger" in his 1969 catalog, and the "Shark" in his 1970 catalog. Whats really funny is he was in such a hurry to get the catalog out in 69 he used photos of the Gazelle body . In 1970 called the "Shark" you can see the retooling he did.

All I am getting at is that the truth may never be known. There is no proof one way or another that Jim was not directly involved with Allied. As long as I am old the Astra GT has been linked to Kellison. I heard it referred to a Kellison Astra GT before the internet. So until such time that there is proof beyond I own them and fiberfab cars and its not in a catalog I will continue to refer to it as a Kellison car
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is no documentation or fliers linking Kellison to Astra that just may be the proof.....

I have sort of same Kellison dilemma.... I have what I believe to believe to be is a "Kellison Sandpiper Roadster" dunebuggy body, according to all information I can find (Dune Buggy Archives), yet there is a person who supposedly lived near where Kellisons were manufactured swears to have visited the shop many times and swears a couple of features on my car where NOT PART of the Kellison line of car bodies....Where does one find true facts....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so you have no facts other then you own have owned kellison cars as well as fiberbab cars, and that the astra gt has never been printed in a kellison catalog?

You have no idea how involved (Or not) Jim was with Allied, Lincoln, etc at any given time? Is it possible while making a recent catalog Jim either ran out of time to get it in, or maybe the Astra GT sales were so stale from the Allied Catalog that he decided against it? I have no Idea, but then again you do not either.

In reality you are just spewing your own "facts" as well.
oldSchoolRestorations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple..go back and read what was written 'back in the day'.

You will find NOTHING that supports this being a Kellison.

" It's on the internet, so it must be true"
only a low information person believes that.

In the end scheme... what does it really matter? It doesn't, if you have NO STANDARDS, and apparently , you don't, to make a comment like that

LOL...
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet, Don asked you for proof, and you simply state FACTS that aren't backed up by any sort of press releases or advertising that you so strongly want from us as proof. I love stirring the pot like this - I got the same responses from the guys who started California Component Cars (the Sterling brand). Talked with them personally and yet they couldn't or wouldn't provide any sort of concrete evidence to questions I had about their companies lineage. In both the links I provided it states that Astra was a Kellison affiliate, and that included the VW GT. So I guess the question really is, what type of affiliate? Did Astra re-pop the GT on their own or did, in fact, Kellison have something to do with the redesign? Since Jim Kellison passed away some time ago, those questions will likely not be answered.

In the end scheme... what does it really matter?
oldSchoolRestorations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison Reply with quote

I have been associated with fiberglass cars since 1956, long before your other 'sources' were born, and have easily owned 100 or more of the '50s and 60's fiberglass bodied cars

FACT...I do own both the early AZTEC and the ASTRA VW GT ...and other than the rear window area...the ASTRA is an EXACT 'pop' of , the Fiberfab car from nearly 10 years earlier

FACT ...You can't find ANY Kellison advertisement orperiod correctpress release or article that they built or offered this VW GT body

FACT ...ASTRA had the rights to build some of the real Kellison designs..they were not, as you mentioned earlier " the same " company

I have owned over a dozen Kellisons, including the ultra rare VSR and F/V , J2,J4,J5,J6, and ASTRA GT ...I own a VW GT, and would be happy to call it a Kellison if it were true...but it is NOT

Unfortunately, the lie is perpetuated, because some people in the media no longer care what is true or not................... which is no surprise, given the examples by the news media, and the leadership of this country .....and many deceptions are considered 'truth'.
on your website, you can decide whether to check the facts and present valid information, or just repeat others mis-statements.

. who cares about credibility these days anyway .......
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison Reply with quote

Not trying to stir the pot, but where do your facts come from? Im not saying your wrong but I would be curious to know there your info comes from. I always like correct info

The ASTRA GT was a continuation of the Kellison J6, built under license, and the J6 was a Jim Kellison Design.... The ASTRA VW GT was NOT.

I have an ASTRA VW GT here, as well as several Aztecs, and have owned more than a dozen Kellisons..... The ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison, Kellison never had anything to do with it,

and you will not find ANY advertising of it by the Kellison Company The ASTRA GT has caused the (Aztec pop) ASTRA VW GT to have been erroneously listed as a Kelllison on the Kellison site, then G Hacker picked up the same mis-infprmation and repeated it on Forgotten Fiberglass, and the error continues to circulate.......

If you believe everything you read on the internet, you will be often mis-lead, if you do not look for facts to back it up.
Lots of "facts" are just repeated rhetoric, and are not 'fact checked' by the poster..

oldSchoolRestorations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison Reply with quote

The ASTRA GT was a continuation of the Kellison J6, built under license, and the J6 was a Jim Kellison Design.... The ASTRA VW GT was NOT.

I have an ASTRA VW GT here, as well as several Aztecs, and have owned more than a dozen Kellisons..... The ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison, Kellison never had anything to do with it,

and you will not find ANY advertising of it by the Kellison Company The ASTRA GT has caused the (Aztec pop) ASTRA VW GT to have been erroneously listed as a Kelllison on the Kellison site, then G Hacker picked up the same mis-infprmation and repeated it on Forgotten Fiberglass, and the error continues to circulate.......

If you believe everything you read on the internet, you will be often mis-lead, if you do not look for facts to back it up.
Lots of "facts" are just repeated rhetoric, and are not 'fact checked' by the poster..
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I had thought as well. Strange that the Astra GT shows up on the aforementioned Kellison link page above in their photo archives. And advertisements (under Allied)... Rolling Eyes

And this link confirms that Kellison and Astra were essentially one in the same, or at least shared a common parent company: http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/fiberglass-car-...affiliate/

And here: http://www.kitcarmag.com/thehistoryof/0505kc_kellison_kit_cars/viewall.html

So whether or not it was a copy of the Aztec, which it very well could be, doesn't make it any less an Astra/Kellison product.
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ... ASTRA VW GT ... Reply with quote

Kellison had nothing do do with the Astra GT? It has always been my understanding that Kellison/Allied where one in the same.

I am not surprised about the GT being a pop off. After all Kellison did that exact thing with a David Loring car called the Gezelle . Later renaming it the shark. Same car with a few tweaks.

The blue ASTRA is a nice looking ride....

As to the earlier posts...KELLISON HAD NOTHING to do with this car... Allied took a pop from the early Fiberfab AZTEC with the short front, and changed the rear window..otherwise it is a pure pop-off

.. We have had many Aztecs and Kellisons over the years.. and specialize in the mid-engine chassis that Fiberfab deisgned...

Website is[url] http://www.race-cardrivers.com/shop.htm [/url]and we can be contacted by email [url] [email protected][/url]

Dave Perry[/img]

oldSchoolRestorations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: ... ASTRA VW GT ... Reply with quote

The blue ASTRA is a nice looking ride....

As to the earlier posts...KELLISON HAD NOTHING to do with this car... Allied took a pop from the early Fiberfab AZTEC with the short front, and changed the rear window..otherwise it is a pure pop-off

.. We have had many Aztecs and Kellisons over the years.. and specialize in the mid-engine chassis that Fiberfab deisgned...

Website is[url] http://www.race-cardrivers.com/shop.htm [/url]and we can be contacted by email [url] [email protected][/url]

Dave Perry[/img]
whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is an Kellison Astra GT, with unique bodywork. I bought my Astra GT, right here on thesamba. I bought last Christmas. I am currently doing alot of electrical work to it. It has a 2180cc dual port engine in it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: