Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

Has anyone used a beetle engine and transaxle in a front wheel drive application.
Is it possible to do. The way I see you would have to reverse the pinion like in a spyder application, but move the engine and trans axel to the front.

What axels could you use for the front wheel drive application. I am looking at using it in a Trihawk. A front wheel drive three wheeler. It has a Citroen 1299cc air cooled GSA (boxer) engine with a five speed transmission. Only 60 hp. I Iwould like a bit more power by using the VW set up.

Look forward to the experts feedback.
Thanks
Snowy
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

You should just be able to flip the R&P like in a mid engine rail. What do the current axles look like? You may be able to use modify the existing axles to take a beetle CV joint on the transmission end.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

look up VW Hormiga. Beetle engine and transmission in the front driving the front wheels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

The Brazilian Volkswagen factory did! It was a model called the Gol (not to be confused with Golf.) It was the predecessor to the VW Fox that we had here in the states, which is why they had longitudinal engines. They originally had a front mounted aircooled flat four, but that was later replaced with the same watercooled inline 4 they used in Golfs and Jettas and such of the era. They kept the same transmission layout though, hence the Fox engine being rotated 90 degrees from where it was in the other watercooled VWs.

1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

the blackjack zero replaced the 2cv powered avion and used a vw drivetrain as detailed here:-
The Zero is powered by either an 1,100cc V-twin Moto Guzzi motorcycle engine or a 1,600cc flat-four from an air-cooled Volkswagen Beetle. Both are mounted in front of the front-wheel axles and coupled to a four-speed Beetle transmission that drives the front wheels.
“It’s a happy accident,” says Oakes. “The Beetle gearbox works in reverse, but the final drive just bolts in on the other side. The VW Golf halfshafts bolt to them and the Golf front uprights. I had thought the gearbox would need a reversed change gate, but in fact it is the [rear-wheel drive] Beetle that has the reversed gate, with a complicated linkage to turn it into a conventional H-pattern.”

see http://www.blackjackzero.com/mainindex.htm
but not sure if they're still trading

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
The Brazilian Volkswagen factory did! It was a model called the Gol (not to be confused with Golf.)

This is crazy, what was the size of the engine?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

1300cc? check-out the classifieds everett Laughing
www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2285425

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

Bummer, I was hoping it was some huge stock 2L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I now have to do some more research. I would like a 2110 cc duel Weber setup, now that I know I can use golf hubs and shafts, with a Bergman shroud popping out of the hood it will look pretty sweet !

Thanks Again
Snowy
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

Busy building a 2lt type 4 motor and gear box front wheel drive, but the engine is still behind the gearbox.

This means you need not change the gearbox at all, and I have used a Opel Monza front McPherson struts and hubs, with Renault Scenic Rear with air bags.

Good luck with your project.

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

914 engine and trans or just the trans.

The 69, 70 beetles used an IRS trans that had bolt on side plates on both sides so you could use this trans and flip the ring gear.
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

i know this is old. Its a 1600 single port. the intake manifold for the single carb version is a single port manifold on backwards. the dual port intakes have heat riser connections on BOTH sides so connect to both exhaust ports. that little square bump in the shroud to the left of the fan is the oil cooler. its a stock type non doghouse oil cooler but its only half the height. no wonder they are known to over heat!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

MrBusCo wrote:
EverettB wrote:

i know this is old. Its a 1600 single port. the intake manifold for the single carb version is a single port manifold on backwards. the dual port intakes have heat riser connections on BOTH sides so connect to both exhaust ports. that little square bump in the shroud to the left of the fan is the oil cooler. its a stock type non doghouse oil cooler but its only half the height. no wonder they are known to over heat!

That oil cooler design sounds insane.
I wonder if it's at least wider or something because of the large fan and fan shroud?
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

Maybe they tend to run cooler since it's in the front of the car behind a grille? Gets plenty of airflow, at least when it's moving.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

Why not run it as a mid engine? No flipping ring and pinion. Direct air flow into fan. Mid engine shifter setup. CV joint, 1/2 shafts connected to some fwd. spindles. Would be a cool project..
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

Tempo Matador

https://www.oldbug.com/tempo.htm

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

you do know a VW type one is ~60hp too Wink

for those looking to flip his script, here's a trihawk like the OP has

not really reconfigurable
https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/04/11/trihawk-was-a-carmotorcycle-hybrid/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and transaxle used for front wheel drive Reply with quote

Here is my Front wheel drive as my 1952 Beetle carrier.

He is called MeFusco

Near ready to do 1st test drive.

Has 2000cc Kombi motor and gearbox with Golf 1 side shafts into Opel wheel hubs and CV's

Have fun

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: