Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

So I have been thinking about how to reinforce a pair of trailing arms I have. I want to make them nice and beefy, but I don't want to deal with all the unsprung weight that the regular box kits have. To be honest, I really don't think that those box kits make the best use of the weight of material there.

I think I could fabricate my own "boxed" trailing arms that make better use of a given weight of material.

I have seen light weight tubular, but I don't have a tubing bender to fabricate my own, and the kits are on the expensive side, and so I will pass on that option.

Here are my general observations about the arms.
-The strait portion of the trailing arm rarely bends, but is much more easily twisted along its axis.
-The region between the bearing carrier and the spring plate mount is the most likely length to bend.

My opinion of the box kits on the market.
-There is a lot of extra material along the strait portion of the arms.
-The sheet metal doesn't seam thick enough near the outer bend in the arm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alright, with that in mind, its time to think about how to loose some extra metal, and add it to where it is more needed.

What's In The Red Box?

Too much, thats what! Keeping the straight portion from twisting doesn't need that much material. Actually, those four joints will leave it weaker than if it was tied together with three. This triangular shape will be better than the box shape. Two 1/8th inch plates should be more than enough if welded together in the center, and tied to the top and bottom lip of the trailing arm stamping. This eliminates some of the extra plating found in the box kit. When that portion is reinforced, it would look something like this.

Here is a picture I found where someone made a brace like this. This picture is better than my sketches.

The Green Stuff

Alright, now that the twisting issue is solved, time to tackle that bending problem. To do this, a heavy plate should be used to tie the end of the trailing arm, to the midpoint of the strait away. 3/16-1/4 inch plate would really bullet proof this week spot.

So as you can see, the combination of the two comes together to make something like this. I made the green corner gussets see through so you can see whats going on.

Now for the shocks. We need something to mount the shocks too since the old mounts are gone. I Think a good chunk of 1/4 inch steel starting on top of the spring plate mount and continuing over the top corner gusset will do nicely. This will also help strengthen the joint between the trailing arm and the Spring plate mount.

And here it is! What do you guys think? Good idea?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine go to the sandblaster this weekend. when they come back I will do them the AEH way:

stock shock mount, stock rubber bumper, reinforcement without reengineering.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1 X 2 tubular arms weigh very close to a stock, unaltered arm. And the tubing does not have any bends, all straight pieces. They do seem expensive, but I bought mine used for $ 150.00.

Those old design, heavy looking diagional arm brace kits have remained unchanged for a very good reason. They focus the strength on the most vulnerable point on the arm, right in front of the bearing housing, which is what bends on a stock arm. The whole idea of strengthening the arm is to increase the load the bearing carrier can take before bending the metal arm in the weak curve of the stock arm.

The part of the arm between the spring plate mount and the pivot point is not subject to twisting on the axis. The pivot point moves and does not apply a twisting force on the arm. The reason the plates run from the bearing housing to the pivot point is to focus the bending energy the length of the complete arm as a solid package. Just like the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, the strongest member is a straight member. When the bearing housing tries to bend, it has to distribute the force around the stock curve towards the straight postion of the arm. By making it straight, the compressive fource runs in a straight direction from one end of the arm to the other end of the arm. If that is not made straight, the fource has to travel which ever way the metal is shaped.

The inner "Bridge" plate is just that, a bridge member to steady the top and bottom straight plates. If the top and bottom plates were left by themselves, they could bend when under compressive forces. This middle plate connects them to each other and makes a solid box that is super strong.

In the end, how much weight do you really save eliminating one plate of steel? Three pounds between the two arms, maybe? Weight can be saved elsewhere where strength does not matter as much like undercoating, sound deading, headliners, rear kick panels, carpeting and so forth.

Trying to save unsuspended weight has very good pay-offs concerning handeling and response.

The design you have is strong, but the old design is stronger. Your design will focus the bending force at the end of the green plates, which is in the middle of the arm. What is your intention with the arm? How hard are you going to bang on these arms? I am too old and hurt to much to bang on my off roaders any more, so most of my braces are for looks anyway.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are pictures of my tubular rear trailing arms. Notice the straight run from the bearing housing to the center pivot point. Having just moved them around to take pictures, I do not think there is much more than a pound difference between these and a stock arm. These are 1 X 2's,

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as much about reducing the unsprung weight as it is about putting more material where it is needed...just being more effective with the materials. I think there is a lot of useless metal on the strait aways that would be better off near the bend in the trailing arms.

Quote:
The part of the arm between the spring plate mount and the pivot point is not subject to twisting on the axis

Thats what I thought too until I saw one that was twisted. The spot welded seam was slightly helical starting from the bushing and continuing to the shock mount. The top was curved one way, the bottom the other. Who Knows how that happened...perhaps it received a heavy blow directly from the side that put a big compressive force on the arm causing it to twist up at a week point. I don't know man.

I have never seen the strait section bed...Now the curved section near the bearing carriers, that I have seen bent upwards. from a heavy blow

Quote:
Your design will focus the bending force at the end of the green plates, which is in the middle of the arm. What is your intention with the arm? How hard are you going to bang on these arms?

Yes, it will put a bit more in the middle, but thats all on the solid triangular tunnel running the length of it. That shouldn't go anywhere.

I will run them hard. Not racing hard, but definitely playing hard.

Here is something you might find interesting. I ran into this in the classifieds. These look very similar to what I am thinking about.

larryvance66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I've done. Light and effective. Stock length dosn't need much beefing up. It's when you start lengthening things you need more.[img]
[/img]
SlipshodPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another option:

Jeff, at the Kaddie Shack in Pasadena, CA, just started selling these kits that are designed to beef up a stock arm.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can never overdo the arms.Seen many ripped apart at glamis most were tubular type that break near the bearing carrier
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
AZ-BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine...

Stingray250
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Arms... Reply with quote

3x3's

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3x3's

Quote:
These are 1 X 2's

This is for reinforcing stock arms, not about aftermarket arms...Im not trying to be rude, just thought I would say.

Quote:
Mine...

Thats really nice. Easy to fabricate and there is no need for a tubing bender. If a rock or stump or something were to nail the bottom tube, wouldn't that tweak the arm a little bit? I always worry about catching a tube on something, resulting in a twisted arm.

mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a look @ the arms & shock mount on my 11 Car......

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the eye holes welded to your bearing carriers for? Towing ropes for getting pulled out?

Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or trailer tie down

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I build them:

The secret to shaving weight from arms is no tosion bars. If you run a air shock or coilover mounted above the bearing carrier the arm doesn't have to be bullet proof. The torsion bar makes the arm constantly try to rip the entire torsion housing off the frame all the time, even somewhat when sitting still!
AZ-BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Quote:
3x3's

Quote:
These are 1 X 2's

This is for reinforcing stock arms, not about aftermarket arms...Im not trying to be rude, just thought I would say.

Quote:
Mine...

Thats really nice. Easy to fabricate and there is no need for a tubing bender. If a rock or stump or something were to nail the bottom tube, wouldn't that tweak the arm a little bit? I always worry about catching a tube on something, resulting in a twisted arm.

Thanks, I suppose that could happen, however I think the tube would probably help it slide over a rock... If hit hard enough though, might bend. Most arms I see bend and break do so between the "hub" and the spring plate... I once saw the entire bearing carrier come out of some boxed arms, that is why I like the vertical tube which ties it all together. So far they've held up fine.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
or trailer tie down
you are correct, sir......tie down points....... Wink

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed around today with some cardboard and my stripped down arms. This is what I came up with. I would still like to add gussets to the spring plate tab and bearing carrier. Anyways...it's a start.

Exclamation In the first picture you can really see that I came up a tad bit short on the pivot end. That will be fixed, don't worry Exclamation

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an engineering standpoint, that is a good design. Should be strong.

One additional plate to add to take it to darn near bullit proof, is to add a plate closing the area in just in front of the inside of the bearing carrier. In the last photo, on the right side identified as 1/4 inch plate, box the area in just forward of the carrier. This one piece can be done in 1/8 plate. It wil tie the top and bottom plate together and keep them from flexing in a hard impact situation.

Nice work!

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Joe, I will definitely consider doing that!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: