Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

This is an old thread. I am bringing it up as I am wanting to reinforce a set of I.R.S. trailing arms for hard street use/Autocross. It will only occasionally see sand or dirt.
Has anyone else come up with other "designs" or ideas for reinforcing?? I thought I might ask before I get into it. I was thinking I might just reinforce the "bend" or curved area. I understand that is the part most susceptible to bend.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

I did mine like this, as noted above. If I could, I would add add a brace across the open part of the bend around the shock absorber

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate post deleted

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

Skulptorchaz wrote:
This is an old thread. I am bringing it up as I am wanting to reinforce a set of I.R.S. trailing arms for hard street use/Autocross. It will only occasionally see sand or dirt.
Has anyone else come up with other "designs" or ideas for reinforcing?? I thought I might ask before I get into it. I was thinking I might just reinforce the "bend" or curved area. I understand that is the part most susceptible to bend.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

I've never seen a T1 IRS trailing arm fail on a buggy in hard Auto-X use, even with slicks. Used to see a number of fast buggies in area 20+ years ago on Auto-X track, and I ran a full bodied '69 Beetle. No damage to trailing arms. Bushings were another story...

BNC
OffroadFloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
mine go to the sandblaster this weekend. when they come back I will do them the AEH way:

stock shock mount, stock rubber bumper, reinforcement without reengineering.

I think you have the right idea, currently in my garage with cardboard trying to copy your design. It looks like you trimmed the reinforcing plates to clear the shock, but not sure how you kept the bump stop mount. Did you trim the top plate around the bump stop mount as well, or did you cut it off and re-weld it to the top of the plate? Do I even need a bump stop for an off-road car?
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

I don’t like the factory lower shock location. Too low. I boxed my trailing arms with the commonly available kit and moved my lower shock mounts to the top of the trailing arm. It snowballed from there but I am happy with the results. Worth doing in my opinion.
OffroadFloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

I agree, they are inconveniently low, but it’s what I got right now. Eventually I’ll install a roll cage so I can have something to tie a higher upper shock mount in to, but for right now, I’m working around the stock shock location. I read in the Jeff Hibbard book about welding mini 1-1/2” wide skid plates from the bottom of the lower shock mount to the front of the trailing arm, with a gusset to reinforce. Haven’t seen a picture of that yet so it may be one of the many outdated mods in that book
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Skulptorchaz wrote:
Thoughts?
Thanks.

I've never seen a T1 IRS trailing arm fail on a buggy in hard Auto-X use, even with slicks. Used to see a number of fast buggies in area 20+ years ago on Auto-X track, and I ran a full bodied '69 Beetle. No damage to trailing arms. Bushings were another story...

BNC

Yea the only ones I’ve seen damaged were from wrecks or bottoming out off-road. Bottoming out your suspension in a jump is the whole problem. Stock arms will do everything else.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
I messed around today with some cardboard and my stripped down arms. This is what I came up with. I would still like to add gussets to the spring plate tab and bearing carrier. Anyways...it's a start.

Exclamation In the first picture you can really see that I came up a tad bit short on the pivot end. That will be fixed, don't worry Exclamation

Pretty sure you’re going to need a fire extinguisher when you go to weld those! Just sayin’!
Cool
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Class 11 - 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

What I came up with after viewing all your ideas - Thanks for the help. Please give me feed back - still need to be completely welded up.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

Looks like a good start. I tied the bearing carrier into the bracing you made. A couple pieces of 1/4” flat stock going to the top and bottom of the outer bearing flange really strengthened it up. I also bent a piece of 1/4 flat stock around from the spring plate to the outer bearing carrier flange.

I don’t really have many good pics of my finished ones.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Class 11 - 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

Thanks for the input - keeping the stock lower shock mount is the biggest challenge. Do you remember where stock arms have failed / broke / cracked?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

The bearing carrier twists relative to the spring plate tab. If you bottom out on a big bump, the force of the wheel pushing up will twist the outer edge of the bearing carrier up, resulting in more negative camber.

In the more rare case that you slide sideways into something, the carrier twists the other way and the wheel tucks in, positive camber.

The outer edge of the bearing carrier around the backing plate flange is only welded to the sheet metal skin of the trailing arm, so it tweaks easily. The inner end has significant reinforcing tying it to the spring plate…but it is made to transmit vertical force, not twisting like you would get when the outer skin gives around the backing plate flange. Supporting the backing plate flange makes the assembly way stronger because both the inside and outside of the bearing carrier are supported.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Class 11 - 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

Now I understand - did not know they could be tweaked that way.

A couple of stock arms I have seen off sand rails have cracked in line with the shock at the lower shock mount on the main part of the arm – they were being jumped. Also seen broken welds at the lower part of this shock mount.

All my fabrication and designing would be worthless without my welder, Dewayne – he has been very helpful and extremely knowledgeable and gifted as a welder.
Class 11 - 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

Added a heavy nut for bump stop and a vertical piece to help tie the bracing together. My design was based on keeping the stock shock locations. Got my ideas from this forum after months of thinking about it - Thanks for sharing!
Trying to add photos?
Class 11 - 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Right Way To Reinforce Trailing Arms Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: