Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Severe burning smell after very short drive.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Severe burning smell after very short drive. Reply with quote

Okay, brief summary. F pipe on my exhaust was cracked, and not cracked, but pretty much shattered. I have a complete stock exhaust to redo/replace. Have some issues there I will cover in my Doodle thread. Heres the issue here. In order to drive Doodle, I replaced just the F pipe. New gaskets and new hardware, although not out of my German Supply hardware kit for the new exhaust. This is hardware store hardware. Problem is, I drove to work and its only 3 miles. When I got here, I thought my bus was on fire. Literally smelled of burning Sage Green westfalia to the point I jumped out fire extinquisher in hand. All I ended up with is a puzzled look from my coworkers as I crawled under the bus in my slacks.

What I found was smoke boiling from the F pipe I replaced, and the smell definately appears to be coming from there or nearby somewhere. I did use liberal amounts of Liquid Wrench to loosen the hardware, so I thought it was just that burning off. So I started it up after work yesterday, no smoke. Drove home, same thing, smoke. I drove it once more, little longer after that, same thing, more smoke. I'm not driving it again, and its not something "burning off" but it does smell like somethings on fire. More that smell than burning oil oddly. No fuel leak, nothing like that. I'm pretty sure its related to the part I replaced, but not sure how/why. Maybe old gasket burning off? New gaskets (German Supply) cooking? I've been all over the underside of this thing and I cant find anything! Guess my next step is to remove the part and see visually if I can tell, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Signed,

Stumped in Texas. Confused

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear stumped,
did the replacemet F tube have the heat shielding on it?, that shell is lined with an asbestos like substance that can soak up a whole lotta evil smelling things.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Just bare.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The one I replaced.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer but you were likely leaking a lot of exhaust and now you are not (hopefully). You may be burning off oil and stick in the exchanger. I think you have to find where the smoke is coming from before you can rule out other issues.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SG; you gotta track down where it is coming from, and you are probably burning off gunk now.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I guess I'll fire him up again and see if I can tell more. I hope thats all it is. Thanks guys.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the new f-pipe clear of obstructions like mouse or wasp nests?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you paint any of the exhaust components?

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and no (to paint).

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe burning smell after very short drive. Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
.... I did use liberal amounts of Liquid Wrench to loosen the hardware, so I thought it was just that burning off...

i use that stuff at work. in the past 10 years of working for volvo, i have done probably about 30 turbo's. that stuff will stink to high hell for a while. our shop is basically right off 95, so when we road test, we can really jump on it Twisted Evil i can tell you, after a 15 minute ride at 75+ mph, it is almost burnt off.

i know you said that it isn't a burn off your smelling, but when you get that shit on a manifold and turbo it takes a while to burn it up. the catch is, it will hardly smoke but the stink is there for sure

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I'll remove the piece, make sure there are no obstructions, re install it, and go for a drive this weekend, longer, see if it burns away. Then pull over and see if I can tell whats actually smoking, and report back.

Never before did I realize a smell could be scary. Shocked

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: