Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Saga of our Westy .... SOLD 2021
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuleinc wrote:
Isn't your van a carat with stock motor? I think you'd need a syncro rear mount as well no? Is there really to much stress on the cvs in a stock 2wd van? I doubt it.

My Carat is lifted to 18" wheel center to fender lip, which is close to the generally accepted limit for angle on stock CV's without increasing wear, regardless of motor choice.

Following VW's solution for the Syncro's to lower the motor and trans mounting points, I was thinking to drop the trans only and see how that would affect the CV angles. It would be simple enough to drop the mustache bar with the same square tubing if needed.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize your van was lifted, should help on a lifted van for sure. My van is stock westy height right now, but I have springs for it at home.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a bunch of parts to get my radiator pipes hooked up to the engine... Confused
ubercool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuleinc wrote:
Ubercool came over to my apartment today with his 1.8t synchro, which I got to drive. Happy happy joy Joy, does not even begin to describe how I feel about my conversion choice... Very Happy

On new drivers, there seems to be a pattern of permasmiles and mild euphoria.

I wonder if the turbo Bostigs or other conversions have this effect? Maybe for the 2.5 AEL owners when the front wheels lift off the ground? Or for TDI owners like Outwesty who get their satisfaction at the diesel pump Very Happy

I'm going to video the next test drive so everyone can see what I see. Big smiles
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to grab my exhaust and charge pipe if your at GMW Laughing Pretty bummed there won't be time for GMW to get my exhaust fabbed up. If I can get the parts back in time, I'll fab it up at work. I took the night off from working on the van engine swap to get some hoses I need, and they were out of 5/8 power steering hose! ARG! That means another night off to go get it, unless worldpac carries it...

In other news my brothers Carat barely passed smog today, and now has its new tags! Cool
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much drama to get much done today. The only thing I managed to do was remove the old gas pedal from the van Laughing Won't have time to work on it tomorrow night or probably Friday either. Saturday will be a big push if enough parts show up in the mail in time...
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like enough supplies showed up today to get both the power steering and coolant systems plumbed Saturday!
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear terrawagen flares showed up!
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the drive by wire pedal installed today:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also got the cluster in and wired up, CEL is a bit bright...

I guess that's to help make it hard to ignore? Laughing

I'll prolly be working on the van again tomorrow. I also managed to get the power steering all plumbed in today and the rest of the cooling system. Tomorrow's goals include cleaning up the wiring going to the front of the van, re-installing the spare tire carrier and tire, and possibly installing the rest of the charge pipes...
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidied up the wiring under the van and routing of hoses and things today. I also re installed the spare tire carrier and spare tire.

I finished installing the wiring in the dash that is needed to make the engine run, this includes the OBD2 plug. I mounted it under the fuse box facing down:

Tomorrow I will work on the rest of the intake system and the exhaust.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished installing the charge pipe and airbox today. Let the van run a bit, added more coolant. Starts and runs great! Very exciting times.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Starts and runs great! Very exciting times.

Congratulations! SyncroFest or Bussed!Smile
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the idea Jon! Last night I installed the air box and air meter. I also got the deck lid spacer and deck lid installed...
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight all I got done was a mostly mounted coolant bottle.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I was able to get the muffler and cat tacked together and positioned, pretty exciting! I also got the tubes for the exhaust marked up for cutting tomorrow at work, hopefully I will have an exhaust system done tomorrow night, maybe two Wink I meant to take some pictures but ran out of time Confused maybe tomorrow...
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threw the exhaust together tonight. Pics and video later.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here come the photos.

This is my friend Mike showing me how to weld:

Here is a business shot, we used a Mig with stainless wire. We may grind the welds off and or cut it apart and tig it later, we were in a hurry as it was 10:30PM when we left the shop Friday night:

This photo shows the whole exhaust at the back. Its a bit lower than I'd like and at this point has only one mount on the right side, which proved to make it lop sided:

Here it is lopsided, close up of the muffler and tip. The exhaust is deep, and sounds AWESOME when you get on the go pedal. It does not drone on the freeway, and other than when you are ON IT, I believe is quieter than the water boxer and exhaust:

Here is the right side "hotrod" mount I used, will come up with something better later. This is actually version 1.0, I had to move the metal with holes and point towards the front of the van more, and put another bolt in it, as the muffler was rubbing the power steering pulley:

Here is the left side mount:

Here it is again, I used one of the engine bar bolts to hold it up. When I installed this mount is when the muffler started rubbing and I had to go back and adjust the right side mount, no pictures of the right mount Ver. 2.0:

I had printed out pictures of other peoples 1.8T exhausts, and it looked like they made it overly complicated with many bends. I think this was in part due to the muffler and cat section being too far to the left side of the van. We tried to position as far right side as we could. When we did this we were able to get from the turbo to the cat section with two 2.5 inch diameter 90 degree bends and one small flex joint. The exhaust we made actually uses three 90 degree bends as the tip is one as well. The muffler is a magnaflow I bought from summit racing (even with ground shipping it got here the next day). The 90 degree 304 stainless steel bends I bought were from burns stainless, they have some TRICK stuff. Burns got the parts here in two days! I will be sporting the sticker they sent me, awesome customer service.

When I called them I was unsure of which grade stainless I needed. I told them it was a turbo motor and he thought I needed the more expensive grade, until he found out it was AFTER the turbo only. He then sold me the 304. The guy really knew his stuff and was only interested in selling me what I needed, not what he needed to sell to make twice as much money. Not cheap. I ordered the flex and original stainless steel tubing from silicone intakes.com but they sent me aluminum pipes, and so I did not have time to get more from them, their loss. Hopefully I can return the bends they sent me that were wrong. I did end up using their flex.

If anyone wants to caravan from the bay area Friday night to syncro fest let me know.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put over 100 miles on the van and everything is working great so far. Muffler is a bit louder, still ok when cruising, look out when u get on it though!

Put my bigger speakers in both front doors today, and door panels are back on. Used stock grills, super stealth.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuleinc wrote:
I've put over 100 miles on the van and everything is working great so far.

Congratulations! Done in under 6 months, for less than $6,000.

Put that in your Subaru and smoke it Razz

See you at the Fest!
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!

what are you doing the next six months? you can do my van next... Laughing

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: