Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI rear disk caliper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent'sGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

For anyone replacing your rear EMPI calipers and not wanting another EMPI product...like me, I had a hunch that all of the manufacturers had copied the VARGA product, which is true of EMPI.

The cheapest replacement I found came from AirCooled at $59.95, but they charge you $23 to ship.... http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rear-Disc-Brake-Kit-Brake-Caliper-Left-4199-p/cb4199.htm or SoCal at $89.95

BUT, here's the catch: the new caliper bracket does not space the caliper correctly to center the rotor in the caliper with the EMPI axle brackets so you will have to remove the new caliper brackets and replace them with the old caliper to-axle-bracket which for me was better, but still off center the way it came from EMPI. This was my option to salvage my expense on the Rear Disk Brake Kit.

So, I was forced to alter the old EMPI caliper bracket by grinding and filing the 2 mounting pillars so that the rotor was more in the center of the caliper, and I had to do this because I have no access to a milling machine
and because the caliper bracket that came with the caliper had more steel to grind and file than the old EMPI bracket.

You will have to grind and file the surfaces so they are the same distance (height) from the backside of the casting as measured with either a dial caliper or micrometers as close as you can get it to match each pillar height.

In other words..FLAT so that both of the entire flat areas are in contact with the axle bracket at the same time without any rocking, and measures within about 5 thousandths of an inch compared to the other pillar flat height.

At least, that's the way I did it. Wink
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

Curious after a couple of years how everyone's replaced calipers held up.

Still looking for a rebuild kit. If anyone knows this, please share. Smile
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

My Empi one is leaking, although it still works. Really can't be bothered to fix crap, so I will either put a pair of German Audi rear calipers on or go to Type 3 rear drums. Why is there so much CRAP out there????
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

So has anyone fixed a leaking e-brake shaft on the Empi rear caliper?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
So has anyone fixed a leaking e-brake shaft on the Empi rear caliper?

I had a leaking e-brake shaft bottom (a pin hole on the bottom of the caliper which was dripping brake fluid for some reason). I've smeared a good amount of JB-Weld over it so the hole was covered up, and the leaking ended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: