Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat Flaps Always Open
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pcrog027
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Thermostat Flaps Always Open Reply with quote

I just realized that the thermostat flaps on my 77 2.0l engine are pulled open all the time. What is the consensus on this? Did someone do this to prevent the engine from overheating? Can this damage my engine?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are open in the default position. Who knows why the PO did that.

Yes, the engine will go thru more thermal shock without a thermostat working.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many so called VW mechanics believe they can outsmart an office tower full of meticulous German engineers and disconnect/remove or wire open the flaps. VW wasn't in the habit of adding extra useless features to thier vehicles so it's safe to say the flaps serve a purpose, when open on cold startup the engine suffers a little extra wear before all the parts come up to full operating temperature, not a big deal if you live in the tropics but it will take a percentage off the life of your engine in cold climates, condensation in the oil is another side effect that eats it up from the inside. At least the rocket scientist didn't remove them completely, that's a major issue on a type 4 that actually results in hotter running.

The spring should hold them in the open position if the thermostat fails or the cable breaks, start looking for a good used thermostat or consider having yours rebuilt, it's not instant engine death without it but having one is better for the long term health of your bus.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Pcrog027
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: thanks for reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I dont run the van in the winter months due to leaky heater boxes or least reeeaalllly oily ones. Also the weber carb doesnt run well when its below freezing. When I pull the engine I will see what I can do.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="busdaddy"]Many so called VW mechanics believe they can outsmart an office tower full of meticulous German engineers and disconnect/remove or wire open the flaps. VW wasn't in the habit of adding extra useless features to thier vehicles so it's safe to say the flaps serve a purpose, when open on cold startup the engine suffers a little extra wear before all the parts come up to full operating temperature, not a big deal if you live in the tropics but it will take a percentage off the life of your engine in cold climates, condensation in the oil is another side effect that eats it up from the inside. At least the rocket scientist didn't remove them completely, that's a major issue on a type 4 that actually results in hotter running.

I love that! Bravo! That first sentence should be on p.1 of the Bentley.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archway Import Auto Parts in St. Louis has some type 1 engine thermostats sitting on a shelf I saw the other day. I bet if you called them they would ship one to you so you can get the flaps operating again. I bought one there once for less than $20 and it is still on my engine after a few years.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Pcrog027
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that compatable with my type 4 engine? I just got a donor van with a seized engine. Ill takea look if theres a therm on it.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a type 1 engine thermostat will fit a type 4 engine. The flaps will open a bit sooner and the cable attaches a little differently but other than that they are the same.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: