Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a design that was close to/or water tight. That way the option for what to store would be much greater, even putting my tools in something that would let road spray get to everything would be a bummer
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
I would love to see a design that was close to/or water tight. That way the option for what to store would be much greater, even putting my tools in something that would let road spray get to everything would be a bummer

Other than mine? It's completely sealed.
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrideWheelies wrote:
They already do the underwear storage drawers out of steel.

Oops. That was supposed to read "under seat storage" but my iPhone had other ideas. It would hold about $5000 worth of Victoria's Secret though....
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
I think I'll try one of these:

Google < 120MM mortar ammo can >
Dimensions: 12" x 32 " by 61/4"
I just measured, and it appear as if it'll fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thoughts?

Did anyone ever try this? I noticed my local Army/Navy store has dozens of these cans for $20.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Syncronoid,
Did you use a local shop here in Bend, Or? We are Benditos as well and I have been thinking that floor spot is an awful waste of space, would make for a great storage box!

Very nicely done, would love to come check it out sometime!
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:
Hey Syncronoid,
Did you use a local shop here in Bend, Or? We are Benditos as well and I have been thinking that floor spot is an awful waste of space, would make for a great storage box!

Very nicely done, would love to come check it out sometime!

I had a fab shop in Redwood City, CA make the box to my spec. Everything else I did myself. Will be living at my house in Bend for the entire Summer, up in Skyliners. Send me a PM or email.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

I must admit, this concept has grabbed my attention.

Having a "Weekender" storage space is conveted ...... Especially when you carry as much "just in case" crap as I do!

I do think for this application a urethane would indeed be choice #1.
Silicone, while it initially seals GREAT!!, after time it tends to let go and pull away from the product it is applied to. Sadly it leaves a hard to remove coating behind which hinders other more appropriate sealers ability to stick as they should.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

Here is my current project for using the cargo space under the passenger side.

Please share your ideas/thoughts.

There isn't much originality going on here. While I am moving ahead with my original plan, there are some changes that will be put in place on the next one (my brother's '85).

The box is 16 gauge steel with a 12 gauge steel angle flanged outward for a lip.
The shape and dimensions are similar to MidwestDrifter's from page 3.

The depth on mine is increased to 6 7/8". This will accommodate a group 31 battery while still hanging higher than my propane tank on the opposite side.
I like the idea of keeping the weight low and having it on the right side. Currently, I have no aux battery system.

This version is tack welded and to be caulked and sealed. My brothers will probably be bended as now I know a guy. Either way, it will work.

Here is where I would especially appreciate input....

1. Should I go through the top and place the lip on the steel floor?
This would require removing the rear bench for instalation and ultimately give me a pass-through from the main cabin into the rear bench area by 4".
This pass-through would make it easy to pass wires and or allow for storage of something vertically taller (though nothing comes to mind).
or
Should I bolt up from below?
Simpler. No pass-through, though holes could be drilled through the floor easy enough. Would hang lower, still less than propane tank.

2. If I were to put my starting battery in the new box, what would I do with the new space under the passenger seat? Can anyone suggest anything?

3. Must I ventilate this box if I am putting in batteries?

Thanks

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

Rorke wrote:

Here is where I would especially appreciate input....

1. Should I go through the top and place the lip on the steel floor?
This would require removing the rear bench for instalation and ultimately give me a pass-through from the main cabin into the rear bench area by 4".
This pass-through would make it easy to pass wires and or allow for storage of something vertically taller (though nothing comes to mind).
or
Should I bolt up from below?
Simpler. No pass-through, though holes could be drilled through the floor easy enough. Would hang lower, still less than propane tank.
If hung from underneath you gain the thickness of the floor in your depth. If you hang it from underneath will you need to add a support frame/bar all around on the bottom side of the lip so the hanging weight is distributed evenly and not hanging by the attaching bolts? Really how much weight would you have to put in the box to cause that to happen? Your not likely to have it sag, but it is something to think about.

2. If I were to put my starting battery in the new box, what would I do with the new space under the passenger seat? Can anyone suggest anything?
What size starting battery do you think you can fit into it, the group 31? Less Ah? Lithium house battery? You would also have to run cables to the box which means using waterproof feed-thru to keep the box water-tight. Running the cables is not a major job, but where they come into the box will reduce the space inside the box by the little space they occupy. it's not a major deal, but every square inch is useable for something else.

3. Must I ventilate this box if I am putting in batteries?
Ventilating the box for a battery - not a sealed AGM Battery, but I would strongly suggest a remote temperature gauge to monitor the battery for over-charging temps. irregardless of what kind of battery you put in there.
I would also add a battery kill/shut off switch because once you close the cover on that box your going to have something over it. You would need to move quickly and in case of fire you want to take action fast and not be moving stuff for access. A battery kill switch means another hole cut to mount the switch plus holes for the cable routing. I'd leave the start battery where it is and keep mechanical spares in the new box.

Thanks

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

That spot is where my tray (from Peace Vans) is for my 160ah AGM battery.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts Steve.

I am leaning toward dropping in from the top. The lip will support and the 4 bolts that already exist will keep it in place.

Fortunately, either way there is enough space for my group 31 115-12v battery with a little rubber padding.
The whole thing will probably weigh in at 175 lbs. Box is 40lbs. Battery is 90lbs.

Initially, the starting battery will remain under the passenger seat. Even if there was some sweet use for the space, I forgot to mention that I just scored a Dometic 35 box that sits perfectly 4" aft of the passenger seat. (The reasons for the 4" are... 1 - fire extinguisher, 2 - So the lid clears the seatbelt roller, 3 - ventilation.)

Since I like the original carpet and intend on continuing to use it as is, I probably will not go in and out of this box much because of the placement of this ice box fridge.

I will now get a remote thermometer. The kill switch sounds like a good addition too.

Thanks
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

I drank some beer and cut the hole.

Measured a bunch.

Sawzalled that sh*t.

Dryfitted.

Grinded and filed. Then I leveled with cut q-pad, marine gasketing, and caulk.

Inserted and put in soundproofing. Bolted into existing threading.

Covered up.

I am a little further ahead that this, but I have no pics to upload yet.

Tomorrow, my starter and aux will drop in. However, I need to get some fuses.

Thank you very much to all the guys who contributed to this forum with such detail. I never used a sawzall or grinder in my life. Pretty fun project. Way easier than the damn electrical.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

Just finished a nice 600 miles on the finished version. Worked great. Here is an update. (had to wait to get to a computer for the photo upload)

Installed inverter in back seat and re-installed. (Yes, it has already been kicked on and off accidentally)
115 ah deep cycle in gray.
new optima starting battery forward.
Blue Seas ACR in there too.

Tools aft

Under the bench

Have not yet decided how to repurpose starting battery spot under passenger seat. When I cut the sheet metal out, I will finally have a place for my atlases!

more or less finished...

Not pictured is the promariner 20 charger under the driver's seat.
Also, fuse panel is temporarily under passenger seat. Not sure where it should go long term.

Noteworthy, the vehicle drives great! Approximately 180 lbs is now on the passenger side, in the middle, and lower than the floor level. This was one of my major goals for this project, and the improved balance exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for all the great input on this thread. This was a fun project for me. I never used a sawzall or grinder before.
If anyone is considering doing this, it is stressful because of the giant HOLE, but in hindsight, it was strait forward and simple.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

Way to jump right in there man good work. This is a project on my list too. Hearing you say how much the passenger side ballast has helped motivates me even more to do this.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

Rorke,

I got a queasy feeling in my stomach when I saw that floor cut. Brave. It turned out really great. Well done.

I've got a couple ideas for the new free space under the front passenger seat.

-A long sliding drawer. It would be a bonus if the Westfalia cabinet color, trim, and hinge could be duplicated here. Some metal work required but nothing compared to what you've already done.

-A slide out for a foot rest while the seat is swiveled 180. I always find a cooler or box to set there when I'm lounging in the passenger seat.

-A slide out seat. Could be handy for short shuttling of people when you have more than 4 bodies.

All three of these ideas could possibly be made into one. Very inspiring work. I own a sheet metal shop and wish I had the time for fun projects like this.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

Rorke -

I like the extended below the bench idea of your box and considering this mod. Did you have a shop fab your box or did you do it yourself?

Can you provide the dimensions of your box? Gauge of metal?

Nice job!

Dave
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
Rorke -

I like the extended below the bench idea of your box and considering this mod. Did you have a shop fab your box or did you do it yourself?

Can you provide the dimensions of your box? Gauge of metal?

Nice job!

Dave

My buddy who made the box said he would do another for $500.

If you are to make your own, then I would follow the dimensions posted here by Midwest Drifter. but go 7" deep.
The lip is 1" additional.
Lip is 12 gauge.
bow is 16 gauge.

Just make sure there is no twist in the steel from too much heat from welding. This install was simple because insert was dead on and perfect.

My brother wants one and I am going to make some changes. I will also make a template so if anyone wants to do it, they can cut along the dotted line.

I will post those changes too. might be a month though.

pm me if you want my pal's info.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Rorke,

I've got a couple ideas for the new free space under the front passenger seat.

-d

Those are great. I will use the long drawer area for my atlases.

The foot rest/ seat idea are great. My icebox sits here and does both those jobs daily!

I might build a little cabinet for that spot. This could house the fuse box and fridge plug. I mostly want cut it in a way allowing for icebox ventilation when box is strapped forward.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

Great job Rorke, very cool. Definitely something I want to do down the road, especially since you made it look so clean!
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

I really like the clean job of making the box. Nice work.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: