Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reserve valve / fuel tap leak
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
Getting the reserve to pull is usually no issue but getting it to go back in is usually an issue I always have...I have a fresh cable and the angle of the dangle is correct and when I go to push the reserve in it gets springy and won't go back...

Any suggestions..
Thats the problem I had when I rebuilt mine w/ww parts....it would pull out fine for reserve, but would not push in all the way, like you said it would spring back. So I just bit the bullet and found a nos tap.......smoothe as butter
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:
Getting the reserve to pull is usually no issue but getting it to go back in is usually an issue I always have...I have a fresh cable and the angle of the dangle is correct and when I go to push the reserve in it gets springy and won't go back...

Any suggestions..

Did you grease/graphite the reserve tap??

Did you pull out the cable from the sheath and do same to it??

Did you oil the outer portion of the reserve tap?

The last one really helped with that spring back for us.

No...it was new so taking it apart wasn't thought to be an issue...

Yes...

Please elaborate on what you oiled...

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:

No...it was new so taking it apart wasn't thought to be an issue...

Yes...

Please elaborate on what you oiled...

If it is not leaking that should be fine.

Good!

The reserve switch as assembled needs a little oil in the outer metal parts so it is lubricated and smoothly moves. Otherwise those metal parts are dry and GRIND as you move them back and forth.
All it takes is a little oil squirted into the reserve switch from the outside. Some models have a rubber boot over those parts, but easy enough to unwire the boot and move it out a bit to get the oil in there. Slide the boot back in place and test/work in oil and see if it gets easier to work the cable. Repeat oiling as need till it moves easy with the cable. Then rewire the boot.

Only took once to slide underneath and a shot of 30 Wt oil for us!

All the metal parts shown below starting out from the cork/rubber seal on left to the outer C-clip on the right need a bit of lubrication.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Once rebuilt, that tap will work as a fuel tap. When you run low, you'll have to pull over, crawl under the bus and operate that tap manually (not remotely by cable). But it will work, just NOT remotely.

Otherwise, you'll need to locate and rebuild a "Bus" fuel tap with the different shaft and matching "lever/clamp nut", a complete fuel tap cable and devise some way to mount up the forward end in the front cab pedestal with a steel tube running back to the tap to keep the cable from flexing all over the place. Unless you are very handy, just rebuild and mount up the Type 1 Beetle tap and accept the slight inconvienence of crawling under the bus to operate it occassionally.

Bill

When I crawled under there this morning the head of the stock tap appeared to be quite a bit larger than this (beetle) tap. I didn't pull it off because I didn't want gas in the face, if I was not certain it was going to fit.

Understandably, I can see how the outer wrench size may be different. Can someone verify the actual threaded portion is the same size?

- Thanks, Kevin

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinAlbrecht wrote:

Understandably, I can see how the outer wrench size may be different. Can someone verify the actual threaded portion is the same size?

It is the same thread size.
prodaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the actual tread size on the bottom of the fuel tanks, I need to get a die to repair the threads on my tank, I could not find that info. Thanks guys.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550388&highlight=tank+threads

Please make sure to get a thread chaser and not a thread die. The former will reform the original threads and latter more than likely will cut the original threads thinner and weaker.....
prodaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to go look for the m18 by 1.0 thread chaser tomorrow. Hopefully that will save me from pulling the motor to get the tank out for repair.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!
If you take the nut that goes on that outlet, the shop can double check the size and thread.

As always use grease or anti-seize to keep those threads from corroding up.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve / fuel tap leak Reply with quote

i post here because is a related topic,

i rebuilt my fuel tap and works flawlessly, yesterday i used it for the first real need though...and found that the reserve only lasted for few km?

my guess is that reserve is at least a gallon which should be good for 30 km?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve / fuel tap leak Reply with quote

I believe it is around 1 gallon but not sure of the exact amount.

It definitely lasts for more than a few KM.
I've driven on reserve from my house to my preferred gas station 10-12km away multiple times.

Did the longer reserve pipe look pretty long?
I've seen one or both them cut or broken so they are shorter.

A couple pics:

I don't have one right in front of me but I can measure the pipes if necessary.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve / fuel tap leak Reply with quote

yes, i would expect something like 15-20 miles on a stock bus. in my beetle i have driven over 30 miles on reserve once. (i needed to!)

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve / fuel tap leak Reply with quote

thanks guys for your kind answers.

Will check the tap again when I empty the tank.

On the meantime I know that adding 5 liters of gas on an empty tank didn't allow me to start the engine if reserve was not set.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve / fuel tap leak Reply with quote

Mayhaps the brass tube for normal running broke off when being installed.

Good to remove the reserve tube to keep water and junk from accumulating in the bottom of the gas tank. Lot easier to run a fuel filter under the tank and pull the carb drain plug if water gets into it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: