Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pics of your oval AS FOUND only!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

My October '54.

I bought it off the 92 year old original owner with purchase receipts, hand books, brochures etc. 4 years ago. It had been sitting in the shed on blocks for the past 13 years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

low_and_slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

My Euro ‘56 Standard. Unearthed from 22 years asleep under a tarpaulin in a builder’s yard in Germany
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

low_and_slow wrote:
My Euro ‘56 Standard. Unearthed from 22 years asleep under a tarpaulin in a builder’s yard in Germany

Wow! Just wow! Any more pics or a thread on this?
low_and_slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Sadly, no. This is a pic from the previous owner who brought it to the UK.
I’d desperately love to know some history on the car. It’s so solid. I’ve split the pan and body just to carry out basic rust repairs, mainly to the heater channels and poorly repaired jacking points. Body is still as was in the pic but the rest is being restored slowly. I didn’t even think to start a thread as I figured no one would be interested! Thanks for your kind comment
low_and_slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Found a couple more...

D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

low_and_slow wrote:
Found a couple more...

Wow! Looks like it needed a battery to drive it out!
redbug64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

1954 Standard Beetle
1965 Firetruck Red Double Cab
1975 Porsche 911
1984 Rabbit L
1988 Scirocco 16v
Random Toyota daily drivers because winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redbug64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

1954 Standard Beetle
1975 Porsche 911
1984 Rabbit L
1988 Scirocco 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevsplitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

My UK RHD 56

redbug64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Nice!

1954 Standard Beetle
1975 Porsche 911
1984 Rabbit L
1988 Scirocco 16v
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Plan is to pick it up in the next few weeks.

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Here are a couple of photos of the first Oval we owned. We heard of this car from a friend who told me the guy would never sell it. One day my wife and I stopped by and met the owner. He was a nice older gentleman and after a couple more visits we were the new owners. The car was a late '57 and originally in Agave with this white covering it up. Don had used this as a mail delivery car and it had tons of miles on it. Everything was there with the exception of the original engine, but the car had a fair amount of rust in the pans and heater channels. I pulled it home and put it in the garage but we never got around to the restoration--my job moved to Texas and most of my VW stuff, including this oval, got sold before the move. I'd still like an Agave car someday!

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Buddy of mine in Eureka, CA, bought this car in 2002, rolled it in his garage, and never did anything with it, except get the Birth Certificate, and keep it registered and insured, plus, he bought a TON of parts, that never got used. When he mentioned he was thinking of selling it, I had a Baja Bug I was almost done with, to flip, and asked him (1) How Much? and (2) How much time do I have to pay for it? When he gave me the price, I about crapped..he had more in parts sitting there than he wanted for the whole car!!!! It has the original number matching engine, (he got the pedigree from Wolfsburg already) was originally L-378 Prairie Beige (he even bought a gallon of Delstar paint for it !!! And when I posted some photos on Face Crook, a teacher friend of mine asked me if it looked like the interior had ever been painted blue...I sent him a photo of the passenger side lower A pillar, where there was still some blue paint, and he said he knew the car from back in the late 80's/early 90's, when his friend used it as a daily driver at UC Berkeley, drove it to Arcata to finish up his teaching credential at Humboldt State, and finally retired the car to his front yard in about 1999. In 2002, my friend saw it, and bought it. Heater channels are pristine, and still Prairie Beige, needs the usual battery tray pan, been tapped in back, but thats about it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PS YES, that is the correct plate for it, what are the chances of getting a 1957 with the plate sequence "BTL 057" ????

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"

Last edited by Dave on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Buddy of mine in Eureka, CA, bought this car in 2002, rolled it in his garage, and never did anything with it, except get the Birth Certificate, and keep it registered and insured, plus, he bought a TON of parts, that never got used. When he mentioned he was thinking of selling it, I had a Baja Bug I was almost done with, to flip, and asked him (1) How Much? and (2) How much time do I have to pay for it? When he gave me the price, I about crapped..he had more in parts sitting there than he wanted for the whole car!!!! It has the original number matching engine, (he got the pedigree from Wolfsburg already) was originally L-378 Prairie Beige (he even bought a gallon of Delstar paint for it !!! And when I posted some photos on Face Crook, a teacher friend of mine asked me if it looked like the interior had even been painted blue...I sent him a photo of the passenger side lower A pillar, where there was still some blue paint, and he said he knew the car from back in the late 80's/early 90's, when his friend used it as a daily driver at UC Berkeley, drove it to Arcata to finish up his teaching credential at Humboldt State, and finally retired the car to his front yard in about 1999. In 2002, my friend saw it, and bought it. Heater channels are pristine, and still Prairie Beige, needs the usual battery tray pan, been tapped in back, but thats about it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PS YES, that is the correct plate for it, what are the chances of getting a 1957 with the plate sequence "BTL 057" ????

What a score Cool
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Yeah, it was a score...I'm going to save the 36 horse, and put a single carb 1776 in it...Managed to find a new, never mounted, new tires never been on pavement BRM's with 185-60-15's and 205-60-15s in back..Been having some health issues, and they have stopped me cold from getting in the garage and playing with it...The guy I bought it from still has an original, all good, Okrasa kit for a 36, but he isn't quite ready to part with it just yet...Trust me, he knows how to get a hold of me... Wink

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Here is my Jan 1955 that I brought home.

leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

This is my wife's and mine 'April 57 Oval Franken-wagen as was found few months ago. Chassis, front beam, tranny and motor are number matching, but in the 80, PO took it to a VW dealer in Brazil and had a Body "upgrade".... not knowing what an oval really meant, he asked for bigger windows, headrest seats, seatbelts and slightly bigger taillights, all in one combo. So now we am figuring out what to do in the future to come, since the car is a keeper. If being respectfull of this particular car history and maintain and restore this body, or to find a period correct Oval body and swap it back.... By now, we'll keep it as is and restore bit by bit. When an Oval body shows up, we'll see what our pocket allows....

Sweet rides to all and greetings from Argentina!
redbug64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

Looking good!

1954 Standard Beetle
1975 Porsche 911
1984 Rabbit L
1988 Scirocco 16v
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

1957 standard Beetle I first saw this car in 1991 and was finally able to pull it out of the junk yard in 2010. It is smashed and rusted and needs everything. Can’t wait to get going on it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redbug64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pics of your oval AS FOUND only! Reply with quote

What took so long to get it out? Would they not sell?

1954 Standard Beetle
1975 Porsche 911
1984 Rabbit L
1988 Scirocco 16v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: