Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locating your Key Code... various years and models
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Thanks for the great post, I am looking for the location of the key code for my 1969 beetle sedan. Can I find it on the door handle, or ignition lock assembly.

I would think it would be easier to pull the door lock than the ignition key assembly. Yes the only key fits both locks, but it is a worn duplicate without any code.

Thanks.
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Another bump for this thread. I'm wanting to replace the steering lock mechanism on my bus bc it only has two of the four screw bosses remaining. I found a used lock mechanism in the classifieds but it has no key (and is therefore cheaper). Is there any way to work with this besides trying to get the key code from the bus the mechanism came out of, and praying that the switch has the same code?

Thanks!
Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

What year is your bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Can you post pics of what you're working with?

If you take the lock cylinder out of the casting, it has the key code stamped on the outside of it.
You should be able to use your old lock cylinder. That might save you a trip to the locksmith it the key for it matches your doors.
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

It's in a Samba classified, sorry but I don't know how to have the picture print on the post here. No key but seems to have all the bosses.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2511652

A
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

You can get your original lock cylinder out of your broken housing, then put it in the new one.
SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

My apologies for missing some of these posts. For some reason, I do not get an email but have it marked to do so.

If you ever have a question about keys or locks, feel free to message me directly. Thanks! Justin
Key all your Locks to one Key.
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/333391253346965/

70 Campmobile, 70 Sedan, 71 SO-69 Westy, & 74 Westy
royta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

I'm trying to locate the key code on the ignition switch of my 1966 Bug so I can get some keys made. I don't trust the door handles. The left door has a square button and is missing the lock cylinder. The right has a round button and the cylinder is there, but I didn't think the passenger side was supposed to have a cylinder. Anyway, is this not an original VW switch? It is marked VW on the back of the switch, along with the terminal numbers. I'm looking at where the grooves would be on the key and it looks it would be an SC type. There are zero markings other than what are shown in these pictures.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/door_components/door_keys.cfm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

royta wrote:
I'm trying to locate the key code on the ignition switch of my 1966 Bug so I can get some keys made. I don't trust the door handles. The left door has a square button and is missing the lock cylinder. The right has a round button and the cylinder is there, but I didn't think the passenger side was supposed to have a cylinder. Anyway, is this not an original VW switch? It is marked VW on the back of the switch, along with the terminal numbers. I'm looking at where the grooves would be on the key and it looks it would be an SC type. There are zero markings other than what are shown in these pictures.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/door_components/door_keys.cfm

Hello. That is a universal vw aftermarket ignition. It was used to replace most ignitions from 61-67

Unfortunately, there is not a code on it.

However, I can make a key for it if you ship it to me.

Thanks. Justin
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA

royta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

SteelersBus wrote:
Hello. That is a universal vw aftermarket ignition. It was used to replace most ignitions from 61-67

Thanks. Justin

That might explain why the cylinder appears to be rotated too far clockwise. Thanks for the info.
SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

royta wrote:
SteelersBus wrote:

Thanks. Justin

That might explain why the cylinder appears to be rotated too far clockwise. Thanks for the info.

If you remove the driver’s door handle, I can match an ignition to that door code.
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA

Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Here is an example of a different location for a key code, from my 64 Beetle's original door handles (with VW logo and part #). I had to really look close, and clean off the dirt, to be able to see it. It's not engraved very deeply but both sides have the same code, so it's a matched set of original handles.

EDIT: Odd, supposedly, the passenger side didn't come with a lock? Well, mine sure does, and both sides have the same code, as if it came that way. Interesting. Maybe it was some custom thing the original car's owner had done when they ordered the car? Had the dealer order a "replacement" driver side one with the same key code, and put it on the passenger side?

TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: key blank Reply with quote

VWKeyMan wrote:
tkfar wrote:
Thanks Everett... that pic gives me hope! I'm posting pictures of my key to see if someone can tell me what blank I need.

Hi Your key blank is a Renault blank, I see them quite often, saw 3 last weekend!

They are often fitted as ignition barrels.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I recently got a Beetle with an ignition with one of these keys. I have looked around under Renault blanks, but am having trouble finding this profile. If anyone can give any more details, model name, number, etc, that would help me identify it, I would appreciate it. thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

You can get keys made from the code on the locks. I had one made for my 64's original matching door locks from:
http://www.aircooledkey.com

They have some info on the possible profile of the key.

once you figure out the profile and have a good key, you can get blanks from WW and have them cut: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/door_components/door_keys.cfm
SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Cubey wrote:
You can get keys made from the code on the locks. I had one made for my 64's original matching door locks from:
http://www.aircooledkey.com

They have some info on the possible profile of the key.

once you figure out the profile and have a good key, you can get blanks from WW and have them cut: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/door_components/door_keys.cfm

Dang! A plug for an opposing business. That’s rough!

I cut keys, too, brother!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1169945
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA

SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: key blank Reply with quote

TeamSpatula wrote:
VWKeyMan wrote:
tkfar wrote:
Thanks Everett... that pic gives me hope! I'm posting pictures of my key to see if someone can tell me what blank I need.

Hi Your key blank is a Renault blank, I see them quite often, saw 3 last weekend!

They are often fitted as ignition barrels.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I recently got a Beetle with an ignition with one of these keys. I have looked around under Renault blanks, but am having trouble finding this profile. If anyone can give any more details, model name, number, etc, that would help me identify it, I would appreciate it. thanks,

I have some of those in a VW emblem key blank. Shoot me a message. [email protected]
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: