Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sagging Evaporator Housing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanagOnly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Sagging Evaporator Housing Reply with quote

I'm sure someone here has delt with this as it's a known issue.87 Wolfsburg hardtop.Both sides of the evaporator housing have snapped near the bolts.I looked at past threads but they deal mostly with the westy wood housing,not the plastic.My main question is whether the evapoator is bolted to the roof or if it comes out with the housing.Also I'm considering replacing the housing if one can be found or using some angle iron to hold it in place.Any ideas or experiences would help.Thanks
76 Jeep Wagoneer-RIP
67 Bug Dad's Daily-Project
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dealing with the same problem actually. I believe the evaporator isn't bolted to the roof (but I could be wrong) The main support seems to be the 6 bolts (3 on each side) at the sides of the AC unit (the plastic is usually cracked). I used angle brackets to hold the AC cabinet up where it should be. I bent them a little to match the contours of the cabinet a little better. For a slightly cleaner install, I covered the ends touching the cabinet with heat shrink tubing. This will also held prevent scratching from the sharp metal of the angle brackets.

Also, for the side pillar things I used fiberglass mat and resin to strengthen up the weak areas. I sanded it with like 100 grit first and cleaned the area before applying anything. I laid it completely over all the holes where the bolts go through (I will drill through them when I re-install the unit) and also the cracked areas. Overall, I'm very pleased with the result (which is surprising because I've heard fiberglass mat/resin doesn't usually stick too well to plastic)

Hopefully that helps!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The evaporator assembly is part of the plastic box---
It comes down so does everything in it.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarify which overhead unit you have - several. Is it above the front seats, or the rear seats? Which part - specifically - is sagging?

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sagging Evaporator Housing Reply with quote

<<I'm sure someone here has delt with this as it's a known issue.87 Wolfsburg hardtop.Both sides of the evaporator housing My main question is whether the evapoator is bolted to the roof or if it comes out with the housing.>>

AH Doug---
That would be the plastic evaporator housing that is busted.
The housing with the evaporator, fans, drip tray, & expansion valve in it.
87 Wolfsburg Edition.
Just in front of the rear hatch door.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not every one knows which unit they have. For instance, my 87 has the entire unit up at the front seats. It's a pet peeve of mine to have lack of clarity in a post people are trying to help with, so it seemed reasonable to clarify. His comments do absolutely nothing to disclose where it is mounted. I have helpful info if it is like mine. Others have helpful info if it is rear mounted. Seems fairly simple to want clarification but the OP may prefer to keep this a secret - which is his choice to make.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most post 86 Vanagons--especially a Wolfsburg has the AC box hung in the back in a grey plastic box.
They do break with old age & a pretty common happening.
I have never seen any Van pre 86 with a front mounted evaporator cabinet other than 84 & 85 GL's--and there are plenty of them mounted this way.

Yea--the OP is MIA.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sagging Evaporator Housing Reply with quote

VanagOnly wrote:
I'm sure someone here has delt with this as it's a known issue.87 Wolfsburg hardtop.Both sides of the evaporator housing have snapped near the bolts.I looked at past threads but they deal mostly with the westy wood housing,not the plastic.My main question is whether the evapoator is bolted to the roof or if it comes out with the housing.Also I'm considering replacing the housing if one can be found or using some angle iron to hold it in place.Any ideas or experiences would help.Thanks

I understood what you were saying when I saw your Avatar... I also have the same thing happening to my Wolfsburg, my condolences to you. It is a headache, no doubt.

I've not had the time and motivation to go beyond my simple, yet ghetto, approach to temporarily holding it up (a simple length of 2x4 wedged between it and the cushion), but I had thought of using a length of flat sheet metal bent to the contours of the plastic housing and then bolted/screwed in place of the six original screws. I thought that I could easily match the color and texture of this strip of sheet metal to the housing... at least enough as so it would not stand out to an untrained eye anyway. Rolling Eyes

As stated above, I have never attempted this fix.

(MIA, indeed. Confused )

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
VanagOnly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,and sorry I was MIA due to crazy job hours but thanks for the responses.And yes it is the plastic housing over the rear hatch compartment.I think the possibility of finding a unbroken replacement is near zero,so I figure I'll rig up some angle iron,paint it grey and bolt it in place.The idea of dropping the entire unit just seems like a PITA if the whole shebang comes down with it.From previous posts,it seems there can be alot of issues with broken plastic mounts for the fan motor etc.The big problem is I can't drive the van until I fix this.Cheers
76 Jeep Wagoneer-RIP
VanagOnly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
The evaporator assembly is part of the plastic box---
It comes down so does everything in it.

Thank you for answering my question.
76 Jeep Wagoneer-RIP
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sagging Evaporator Housing Reply with quote

<<I'm sure someone here has delt with this as it's a known issue.87 Wolfsburg hardtop.Both sides of the evaporator housing have snapped near the bolts.>>

All Wolfsburg's as well as the Carat's have the same set up with the plastic evaporator housing / box
They all eventually crack at the mounting screws to the roof.

<< I'm considering replacing the housing if one can be found>>

Tough find, but they are out there.
You have to get away from the hotter climates where the plastic is more prone to drying up & cracking.

<< I thought that I could easily match the color and texture of this strip of sheet metal to the housing>>

You can--with sheet metal as a backer, & some 3-M 8115 body panel adhesive on the outside.
It's tough, it's sandable, and can be painted to a pretty close match with light grey spay paint.

It's doable--I've done it a few times to the AC boxes and looks & works very well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: