Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

90s AZ vw scene
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekbaehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: 90s AZ vw scene Reply with quote

as advisement from J8BUG, i am trying to get some peeps from the vw scene in az around the 90s. this is when matt howard was rolling around in his champagne bug. there were a few other feature cars rolling around, a surfer chick with a two tone crewcab. i had a peach 61, out in east mesa/aj area, along with my best friends 66 with a monster 1835.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ended up totaling it, and some dude but it from the salvage yard and last i saw it was two toned with white inserts.

anyone from back in the day, and more importantly, know what happened to it?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1971 Convertible with 1835DP engine, single Weber 40DCNF, in Arizona, in the late 1970s:

My 1971 Convertible with 1835DP engine, single Weber 40DCNF, in Arizona, in the late 1980s:

My 1971 Convertible with 1835DP engine, single Weber 40DCNF, in Arizona, in the late 1990s:

My 1971 Convertible with 1835DP engine, single Weber 40DCNF, in Arizona, in the late 2000s:

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mikegamblin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a blue & white 63 1835 dp that I cruised around in Phoenix on the west side of town in the late 80's early 90's. I have to find some pictures but I too was rocking' that white Hawaiian window rubber from Station 1! One piece windows, white roof rack, white fender beading.. I miss that car, but only cuz that's the car that I learned all my VW hard knocks from. It sat in a storage facility while I was in the army with no engine. Over time, more and more stuff would show up missing off of it until I sold it for 800.00 in 2000.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work at Karl's Custom from 1987-1990, 1994-1998. I had a dove grey Baja that I drove everywhere (it is my son's now). That was a pretty golden age for the VW street scene IMHO.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was Tim Ransom's first employee, back in 1971 (Tim Ransom Import Automotive) when it was at 25th Street and Jackson.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
derekbaehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegamblin wrote:
I had a blue & white 63 1835 dp that I cruised around in Phoenix on the west side of town in the late 80's early 90's. I have to find some pictures but I too was rocking' that white Hawaiian window rubber from Station 1! One piece windows, white roof rack, white fender beading.. I miss that car, but only cuz that's the car that I learned all my VW hard knocks from. It sat in a storage facility while I was in the army with no engine. Over time, more and more stuff would show up missing off of it until I sold it for 800.00 in 2000.

i vaguely remember that bug. sounds really familiar. did you ever cruise central or mill?

wbrown45 wrote:
I used to work at Karl's Custom from 1987-1990, 1994-1998. I had a dove grey Baja that I drove everywhere (it is my son's now). That was a pretty golden age for the VW street scene IMHO.

i got alot of parts from karls. which one did you work at? i used to go to the one in mesa. and i agree. that was a golden age. cruising mill, central, sometimes down to metrocenter.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you got your thread going. It takes some time to develop so stick with it. I was actually talking to Mike Gamblin one night and he told me about a cool story when a movie filmed out at Falcon Field called "Highway to Hell" with Chad Lowe. It sounded like you guys had a pretty good scene. I was talking to my neighbor and he was also into bugs in the late 80s to 90s. Ill see if he has some pics. J8bug
mikegamblin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="derekbaehr"]
mikegamblin wrote:

i vaguely remember that bug. sounds really familiar. did you ever cruise central or mill?

I was at central every weekend! I remember there was certain spots that the different rides tended to flock to like McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Burger King.. I mentioned it on another thread that was started, (I think) by j8bug, but there was a movie that was filmed out at Falcon Field that was recruiting bugs out at bugorama. It was called "Highway to Hell". Mine was one of the bugs in this low budget movie that can still be seen on Netflix. Anybody else remember that?
derekbaehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
I see you got your thread going. It takes some time to develop so stick with it. I was actually talking to Mike Gamblin one night and he told me about a cool story when a movie filmed out at Falcon Field called "Highway to Hell" with Chad Lowe. It sounded like you guys had a pretty good scene. I was talking to my neighbor and he was also into bugs in the late 80s to 90s. Ill see if he has some pics. J8bug

man, i am sorry, i posted mine without seeing yours!

[quote="mikegamblin"]
derekbaehr wrote:
mikegamblin wrote:

I was at central every weekend! I remember there was certain spots that the different rides tended to flock to like McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Burger King.. I mentioned it on another thread that was started, (I think) by j8bug, but there was a movie that was filmed out at Falcon Field that was recruiting bugs out at bugorama. It was called "Highway to Hell". Mine was one of the bugs in this low budget movie that can still be seen on Netflix. Anybody else remember that?

yea, i remember the first time i got my 61 running, turned onto central, chicks screaming, my buddy hanging out the rag. two minutes later, blue and reds in my mirror. end result, ticket for being too low (he brought out a tape measure!), no lights on my license plate, and no baffle in my exhaust. said if he saw me running down that night again, he would give me tickets again, all night. so we camped out at the Mcdonalds and then cruised back to mill. man, that was a good scene, and that is prolly where i remember your car. who else did you roll with?

and i dont remember highway to hell, i will check it out. the only movie i remember being filmed out there is used cars.
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! reading the VW scene in the early years from different parts of the Country & not just Orange County....keep the stories coming
1966 141 Cabrio. L554 Cherry Red (low mileage)
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1958 Convertible 151 L349
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekbaehr wrote:
the only movie i remember being filmed out there is used cars.

Great flick!
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="derekbaehr"]
j8bug wrote:

man, i am sorry, i posted mine without seeing yours!

mikegamblin wrote:
derekbaehr wrote:
mikegamblin wrote:

yea, i remember the first time i got my 61 running, turned onto central, chicks screaming, my buddy hanging out the rag. two minutes later, blue and reds in my mirror. end result, ticket for being too low (he brought out a tape measure!), no lights on my license plate, and no baffle in my exhaust. said if he saw me running down that night again, he would give me tickets again, all night. so we camped out at the Mcdonalds and then cruised back to mill. man, that was a good scene, and that is prolly where i remember your car. who else did you roll with?

and i dont remember highway to hell, i will check it out. the only movie i remember being filmed out there is used cars.
Ours is 80s L.A. Do your thing cause from what IVe heard you guys had a pretty healthy scene. Im trying to get some pics for you from my neighbor.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rapped with my neighbor for about an hour. He was telling me that besides the 90s the late 80s were also unreal. He mentioned Central Ave and the other hot spot was MetroCenter. From there they would head out to the back of Deer Valley airport for all-night street racing. We talked aboout everything under the sky, Bugs, bajas, bikes, street racing, etc. But like many of us from that era it was just everyday life and he didnt think much about taking pics. He's digging around and also getting his brother to try and dig some stuff out to post up here for you guys... FYI- He now owns a shop called Frontier Automoive and drives the biggest Monster Truck in town. An all-black full size suburban jacked-up to the heavens... Cool dude and loves to talk shop Cool
derekbaehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
I just rapped with my neighbor for about an hour. He was telling me that besides the 90s the late 80s were also unreal. He mentioned Central Ave and the other hot spot was MetroCenter. From there they would head out to the back of Deer Valley airport for all-night street racing. We talked aboout everything under the sky, Bugs, bajas, bikes, street racing, etc. But like many of us from that era it was just everyday life and he didnt think much about taking pics. He's digging around and also getting his brother to try and dig some stuff out to post up here for you guys... FYI- He now owns a shop called Frontier Automoive and drives the biggest Monster Truck in town. An all-black full size suburban jacked-up to the heavens... Cool dude and loves to talk shop Cool

yea, we rolled metrocenter a few times. its weird that in a same city we still had "sides". we didn't roll two much on the west side, we were east siders. it was still a cool scene, but started to dwindle down in the mid 90s, as most cruise spots were. shit, i remember mill used to park dudes in the median and count your plate. you were only allowed three passes before you got a bs trespassing ticket or some shit. my ex says she still has some of my bugorama and video of my car packed away, so hope i get those soon.
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey J8bug talking about the Arizona VW scene in the late 80's early 90's there was one of my boys from the neighborhood H.P. LA named Glen who rolled in a grey primered 65 with dual Kadrons & chromies no hubcaps that was getting into "pedo" back home so his mom shipped him off to family in Arizona for awhile near Scottsdale......Did you guys ever come across him??
1966 141 Cabrio. L554 Cherry Red (low mileage)
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1958 Convertible 151 L349
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Az guys, Havent forgot about you guys. I talked to my neighbor a bit yesterday and at the end reminded him not to forget about some pics for this thread. Everyone is busy,busy and working up here in the NW Valley so its not that easy to get people to dig thru stuff with what little time they have left in the day. Im the only loser up here so Ive got all day to shoot the shit about cars on the computer. Hey Kidd i just moved down to the big city about 8 months ago. And previous to that I was hibernating in the mountains for 8 yrs in Prescott so I dont recognize the name. Lucky Glen though, getting shipped out to Scottsdale for punishment. We normally got shipped out to Tijuana when we got into pedo.
derekbaehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welllll alas. its tax season. thinking very seriously about jumping back into the scene. its either that or building a bobber motorcycle. convince me to get a veedub!
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekbaehr wrote:
mikegamblin wrote:

wbrown45 wrote:

i got alot of parts from karls. which one did you work at? i used to go to the one in mesa. and i agree. that was a golden age. cruising mill, central, sometimes down to metrocenter.

I used to work at both stores. I guess you could call me a floater! Wink
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekbaehr wrote:
welllll alas. its tax season. thinking very seriously about jumping back into the scene. its either that or building a bobber motorcycle. convince me to get a veedub!

What is a bobber motorcycle?
derekbaehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
derekbaehr wrote:

What is a bobber motorcycle?

this is a good site: http://www.xs650chopper.com/

basically kinda like a chopper, but without the stretched forks. usually hard tail, low seat, low handle bars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: