Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend the Michelin X for a van. Yes - they look great, but without the sidewall reinforcement that's so important for a van with full height tires, you'll be very susceptible to crosswinds, and the handling will be 'squirmy'. I'd stick with the taxi tires, which have the 6PR construction that a van needs.
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

That 356 engine looks great in there!

FYI if you move the fuel tank over far enough you can still run the spare tyre tray if you wanted. I found this out by chance on my bus. The filler neck ends up outside the tray rather than going through the hole as vw intended

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Hats off to you, love to see you road tripping that old beast. We both know that the trip is more than 1/2 the fun!
Now when "Joe Blow Expert" on the street comes up and asks if there's a Porcha engine in there you can say yes! Laughing
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

busben wrote:
Should have spotted the 15” rims Embarassed
I hid them behind the trim rings. When I dropped them off, Adam was like "why did you bring four different colored rims?" I was all like "nobody will notice". They were the straightest beetle rims I had, and I didn't need to paint them since the trim rings covered them up. If I was not running the trim rings, I would have painted the outside of the rims with a fade to dark to make the inside look bigger.

All four hubcaps are barndoor, with two of them showing original dove blue in the logos. All have vehicle appropriate matching patina with the curb roll marks on the passenger side.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
Hats off to you, love to see you road tripping that old beast. We both know that the trip is more than 1/2 the fun!
Now when "Joe Blow Expert" on the street comes up and asks if there's a Porcha engine in there you can say yes! Laughing
Thanks. The trip was the destination. I have a feeling that we put down more miles than the combines mileage all the other 1950 buses have covered in the last decade. Are there any other 1950 buses that actually drive anywhere?

I am so waiting for someone to give me some helpful engine advice when I am fueling it up.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
adam beefcake bruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

The turbine trim rings tend to distract/hide the fact that they’re 15’s. I wasn’t sure about the idea when Lind first suggested it, but once the wheels/trim rings were on Sudfunk, it just looked right IMHO
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Rhodrich wrote:
I wouldn't recommend the Michelin X for a van. Yes - they look great, but without the sidewall reinforcement that's so important for a van with full height tires, you'll be very susceptible to crosswinds, and the handling will be 'squirmy'. I'd stick with the taxi tires, which have the 6PR construction that a van needs.
Thanks, that is exactly what I didn't want to find out after I spend $1000 on the tires.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Are there any other 1950 buses that actually drive anywhere?

Knocked out a good few miles in my old panel, and still knocking out a good few in the Miesen kombi ......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...... but January 8th '51 and January 16th '51, so neither quite counts. I love that you've made Sudfunk so useable and are now banging out some decent mileage Applause

Quite possibly the coolest damn panel van on the planet Cool
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

busben wrote:
Lind wrote:
Are there any other 1950 buses that actually drive anywhere?
Knocked out a good few miles in my old panel, and still knocking out a good few in the Miesen kombi ......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1254926.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1861753.jpg

...... but January 8th '51 and January 16th '51, so neither quite counts. I love that you've made Sudfunk so useable and are now banging out some decent mileage Applause

Quite possibly the coolest damn panel van on the planet Cool

Thanks for the props.

I consider an early 1951 to be the same as a late 1950, mostly because they are the same, except for the build date. The two you mentioned, and AB51 are the only no rear window buses I have ever seen actually drive any distance, and I have driven two of those three for more than a few hundred miles. We need more fat-ass no rear window buses on the road....
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
and I have driven two of those three for more than a few hundred miles.

Badass Cool Cool Cool
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
We need more fat-ass no rear window buses on the road....

This would be a great signature line Lind Very Happy Cool Very Happy Cool
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

I just talked to Ralph, the guy who bought Sudfunk from Vasek Polak in 1964. I now believe that I have the complete ownership path from new to me. Eight owners in total.

Ralph was working at Vasek Polak Porsche when he was in high school. After he unloaded all the engines and parts that Vasek transported from Stuttgart, he bought Sudfunk from Vasek for $50. That would be a bit over $400 in today's money.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

356 engine in a vintage VW. Always a class act. Love it. Terrific exhaust tips. Is that a 019 “Screamer” distributor I see? Those don’t typically have the optimum advance curve for those engines.
PS: The distributor clamp is upside down. The pinch bolt belongs on the right hand side Idea
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
356 engine in a vintage VW. Always a class act. Love it. Terrific exhaust tips. Is that a 019 “Screamer” distributor I see? Those don’t typically have the optimum advance curve for those engines.
PS: The distributor clamp is upside down. The pinch bolt belongs on the right hand side Idea

Thanks. It is a lot of fun to drive.

The screamer has been worked, and has a curve more like and 022. The distributor and coil are just a couple vintage speed bling items that look cool, but really add very little to performance. The things that make it really work you can't see.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Lind, that's so cool that you have the history of it. It was great to check this most epic bus out in person. I have tried to imagine the feeling of doing 80 mph in that bus on the way down to Octo!! What an epic trip!
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

I've already communicated this to both Lind and Adam, but here I go again.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

I'm also stoked to see this bus being driven instead of being passed around like a museum piece never seeing anything but the inside of a building.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:

I'm also stoked to see this bus being driven instead of being passed around like a museum piece never seeing anything but the inside of a building.
Thanks for the props.

It was great to get it out and stretch it's legs. I could not imagine spending that much money on a toy and not playing with it. The buses sitting idle in collections are just stock waiting to be sold to someone who will have fun with them.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:

Thanks for the props.

It was great to get it out and stretch it's legs. I could not imagine spending that much money on a toy and not playing with it. The buses sitting idle in collections are just stock waiting to be sold to someone who will have fun with them.

Amen gentlemen Applause
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

I love seeing this at the top of threads Cool One of my favourite buses in the world, not only being used, but used a LOT! Mega mileage for any Barndoor tbh. Fantastic stuff Applause Applause
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Congrats on the bus! It looks perfect and I will be super excited to see it in person hopefully next year at a show when I can go out west. Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: