Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split case transmission rebuild DIY
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late model guy report in. Really cool topic. I always wanted to tear into a transmission. I'm going to get an early model for my next car so maybe I will. Excellent write up, excellent pictures.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this one back from the dead, hope you don't mind Very Happy

Did you replace the synchros at all? Reason I ask is that I have a spare splitcase trans I am thinking about rebuilding since my existing one is leaking bad and coming out of 3rd gear.

As for parts, what I have now is NOS 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear synchros, a complete split case from a '56, and the very same rebuild kit from 1954 that you show in your pics. I also have the same dial indicator with the high powered magnet for measuring play.

Part of me is tempted to just fill it full of gear oil and use it, but it seems like a lot of work if its no good.

For the rebuild did you use a jig at all? If the gears look healthy, what else would you all recommend replacing?

Really on the fence whether to farm this out or just dive in and see what happens. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
If the gears look healthy, what else would you all recommend replacing?

Really on the fence whether to farm this out or just dive in and see what happens. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well I finally got my trans all re-assembled including new gaskets and setting the pre-load. Good news, it doesn't leak anymore.
Bad news it still jumps out of gear. Kind of frustrated since this was countless hours of labor and I fixed very little, other than that area of my brain that didn't understand transmissions. As it turns out, I read something AFTERWARDS that I wanted to share with you all.

The gears and synchros can look great upon inspection, but if the selector forks are worn or out of tolerance you will still jump out of gear. Just food for thought for any maniac wishing to take on this task DIY. I may not ever do it again.

They are out of stock at WolfsburgWest but here is what they look like:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113309561

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I watched my transmission builder work, but my recollection is that there are two sets of clutch teeth. One set is on the gear being driven, the other set is on the operating sleeve which engages each gear in turn. These are on the pinion shaft where all of the main shifting is happening. If the teeth are worn they will not hold the gear in position. With my builder it was a matter of visual inspection as he simply knew what he was looking at. I don't know if there is a way to measure them. You're correct to look at the shift forks as well, but without good clutch teeth it's still going to pop out.
seefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built my split case transaxle about a year ago.I had about 1/6 of an inch plus clearance between 3rd shift fork and operating sleeve,could not find a new one so I welded twelve spot welds on the third side of the fork,got my micrometer and high speed grinder out ,grind and mike,gring and mike ,got my twelve thousand clearance .then reset shift fork on the shift rail in the neutral position with the pinch bolt,if the shift fork was fastened with a roll pin on the shift rail you could not do this.The wear on 3rd fork and sleeve seems to be from always downshifting for hills (36 hp) and hamfisted shifting gets a lot of use.My transaxle does not pop out of gear shifts smooth and tight I took the time to get end play and clearance correct.I also used to build transmissions.
Chalklinedetail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done nlornston, well done Smile
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the original poster:

How did the transmission turn out? Curious how it operates.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
How did the transmission turn out? Curious how it operates.

Don't know the answer. We are still working on the body. Hopefully next summer I'll know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am rebuilding a bug splitcase to use in a bus.

When a splitcase ring gear is flipped, essentially flipping the diff housing, can the shims be swapped as well? Or would everything need to be re-measured and re-shimmed from scratch.

If so, will someone who has done this please post explain the process; I have a Bently, but can be hard to follow sometimes.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as the preload on the bearings you should be fine but the mesh of the ring and pinion could possibly be off so you would have to check everything and re-shim to get that back in line. If the gap is wider than original then the ring gear will be noisy. If it is tighter it will either be noisier if it is very slight or it could quickly destroy the ring and pinion if it is too tight.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild guess here. Maybe if the ring gear adjustment shims stayed on their original left/right locations relative to the case it would be correct. You would probably still have to check the pinion gear adjustment to fine tune the fit but that seems like a lot easier than starting from scratch with the whole thing.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
Wild guess here. Maybe if the ring gear adjustment shims stayed on their original left/right locations relative to the case it would be correct.

no
The sum total of the two shim packs will be the same, but the thickness on each side will likely be different. The backlash has to be measured.

Snort wrote:
You would probably still have to check the pinion gear adjustment to fine tune the fit ....

There's no need to check the pinion depth. The diff's axis position relative to the pinion gear doesn't change when you flip the diff, so if VW got the pinion depth right, it's going to be perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about what snort said and almost posted this morning but I thought better of it. However if the bearings stayed on their original side as well as the shims staying in their original location in relation to the case it might be very close because the center of the pinion is not changing. The backlash would still need to be checked no matter what you do.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the imput.

The shims will be swapped along with the diff housing to the other case half.
Bently says in the shim measuring procedure, which is quite extensive, that BOTH sides of the case halves need to be measured; meaning to me that the case halves and bearings will differ to some extent.

I have the backlash gauge and will check things out when I get the diiff re-assembled. I'll post the results here.

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case transmission rebuild DIY Reply with quote

Is there a specific adjustment for the reverse gear shift fork?

The fork has a slot that allows for some adjustment, but it is not mentioned in the Bently.

Thomas Jefferson
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case transmission rebuild DIY Reply with quote

I had a timely visit with my local transmission builder so I decided to do some followup and asked him about this. He reports that he has indeed been successful flipping the ring gear on split case transmissions by leaving the differential shims in their respective left and right case half sides.

He provided a simple way to determine success and that is to simply check the lash before you open the case, and again when you are finished re-assembling. If it's the same then no further adjustment required. This assumes that you haven't made any adjustments to the pinion shaft as well as that adjustment assures the pinion gear makes contact along the centerline of the ring gear teeth. It also assumes that you started with a transmission which has previously been set up correctly.

Maybe if you are a transmission builder and your reputation demands perfection this simplified technique would not be acceptable, I understand. But for the hobbyist willing to take a chance I think it's worth a try.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case transmission rebuild DIY Reply with quote

OK, so the shims STAY where they were originally in the case when the diff housing is flipped?

Just want to make sure I have this correct; someone else is telling me that the shims FOLLOW the diff housing as it is flipped and are swapped to the opposite case half they were originally.

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Snort wrote:
Wild guess here. Maybe if the ring gear adjustment shims stayed on their original left/right locations relative to the case it would be correct.

no
The sum total of the two shim packs will be the same, but the thickness on each side will likely be different. The backlash has to be measured.

Snort wrote:
You would probably still have to check the pinion gear adjustment to fine tune the fit ....

There's no need to check the pinion depth. The diff's axis position relative to the pinion gear doesn't change when you flip the diff, so if VW got the pinion depth right, it's going to be perfect.
I am somewhat confused as to where the shims will go after the ring gear and diff. is flipped.
Do the shims get swapped to the other side along with the diff. housing or would they stay in their original position?

Also, I replaced the small .1mm shim that was under the 1st/2nd gear slider hub as the og was badly worn. I tried a NOS .1mm shim first and the axial play, measured between 4th gear and bottom of top friction shim was around .21mm. I then tried a .15mm shim and measurment was then .16mm. Without guesswork has the axial play for 2nd/3rd/4th gears as .10-.25mm. That was for NEW parts, and it did not specify a wear limit.

Did I do this correctly, and am I correct in assuming this will not change my pinion depth measurment? I did not change/replace any of the shims under the double-roller bearing.

Thomas Jefferson
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
I am somewhat confused as to where the shims will go after the ring gear and diff. is flipped.
Do the shims get swapped to the other side along with the diff. housing or would they stay in their original position?

There is no correct answer to this question. Previously I suggested that if you leave the shims in their original positions, you might get lucky. I asked a professional VW transmission builder if he had ever done this and he confirmed that he had with good results. He also cautioned me that there is no guarantee of success. His method was to check the lash before disassembling the transmission, flip the differential keeping the shims in their original positions, and recheck the lash upon completion... if the lash is the same then all is good. If the lash has changed then shim adjustment is required.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

There is no correct answer to this question. Previously I suggested that if you leave the shims in their original positions, you might get lucky. I asked a professional VW transmission builder if he had ever done this and he confirmed that he had with good results. He also cautioned me that there is no guarantee of success. His method was to check the lash before disassembling the transmission, flip the differential keeping the shims in their original positions, and recheck the lash upon completion... if the lash is the same then all is good. If the lash has changed then shim adjustment is required.
The problem with leaving the shims on the same side of the case they were originally is they are differnt thicknesses from one side to the other. Bruce suggested above that leaving the shims in their original positions would not necessarily make things correct; that's why I am asking. I am not sure if he was suggesting swapping the shims to the other side when the diff was flipped? I am being told 2 different things; trying to figure out what the proper place to put the shims would be.

This is what I was told to do in another thread:
"Shims go with the diff as it is flipped. The pinion is the center line and you are basically just putting the drive side opposite of where it was."

Both can't be right.

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: