Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

360 HP Turbo 124MPH 10.2 ET
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: 360 HP Turbo 124MPH 10.2 ET Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rolling Eyes Anyone have one or ever seen one? Laughing
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen one once...... Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made by Turbonique from Orlando, FL. YES it really did exist. Fascinating reading.

They installed one of their turbine powered "Drag Axles" in an oval they called the Black Widow and went low 9's @ 165+..... IN THE LATE 60's!!!!

Here's a video of them running with TV Tommy Ivo's Show Boat all wheel drive, drag machine.

Link

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.

Last edited by Lo Cash John on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.....Orlando, FL. Isn't that Mark Tucker's old company? Didn't he invent that Tucker Turbine?? Now he's retired and confusing everyone on the Samba. Laughing
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fun reading

http://032b0eb.netsolhost.com/site/turbonique.htm

This is what happens when NASA engineers are into drag racing and this country is not over run with F-ing lawyers.

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ that's crazy stuff! Especially that go kart! Said it would do 0-150 in 4 secs before getting airborne and sliding out of control! I wouldn't want to be steering that thing! How did it stop??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how you doing ? i got to get to Jims shop and see you. hay thats ohio toms turbo race car.at the pittsberg drag strip . there was a other picture of a add in a old hot rod mag. . showing how he crashed that turbine powerd bug and he was going to build a new race turbine powerd bug. i looked at this crashed bug in the picture in the mag. and thought why lol. my god he was lucky to be alive after that crash lol . back in the 1970s. safety was not a big thing lol. i raced some real death trapes back in the 60s 70s lol spencerfvee
[email protected] wrote:
Seen one once...... Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was seriously looking into a turbine to power my kit car last year. After much exploration I decided it would not make a good candidate to power my car on the street. A drag only car would probably be ideal!

Turbines are a great source of power. Very light for the output they put out, that is why they make ideal aircraft engines.

However, the reason you don't see more of them in autos much is that they idle at super high speeds and they don't like to be constantly changing RPM. Constantly changing speed puts a lot of stress on turbine blades. They have a reputation for shredding themselves after a lot of this type of use.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat locally to me lives Jamie Frankland. His grandfather pioneered the Frankland Quick Change Rear End. I was in his office, which is COVERED with awesome pics of the cars they've built parts for over the years, and he had a picture of the Turbonique powered Chevelle. He said they built the rearend for a few of the Turbonique cars (not the VW of course). Said it was a bone stock Chevelle that they swapped a quick change rear with the turonique mounted to the pinion shaft. They would drive to the race track on the gas motor, put the car in neutral (4 speed) and make low 9 second passes.

It's quite funny how fast the "old timers were going" compared even to today's racers. Heck there were 3 second 1/4 mile runs in the 60's or 70's from jet cars, but they were outlawed due to safety and then became an exhibition deal on very reduced power.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the quickest 1/4mile pass ever was a rocket powered drag car. I seem to recall it used the same type of hydrogen peroxide fuel rocket as used on the Apollo Lunar Landers.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: