Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

starting my latest VW model build today, i am doing another of the Der Beetle Bus shorten bus, i am going with a winter theme this time, i have some resin cast tracks i am going to use instead of wheels, my plan is to build a snow blower front end like you see on trains, should be pretty wild
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It's certainly the right winter to do it!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

tracked bus engine - all resin cast parts from single port bug motor from Revell California Van, added valve covers from Revell street machine bug, added flywheel, distributor, carb and air cleaner from Testors Porsche 356, added cooling fan and starter from AMT corvair, added my own doghouse oil cooler exhaust and push rod tubes, needs more work but shaping up nicely!

big thing on the flywheel is the hydaulic pump that powers everything

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Nice touch with the pushrods!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

This is an enjoyable part of TS! Good job everyone!!

Here's an old build I did in the early 1990s of a Hasegawa '66. I can't remember where the wheels came from, but I think it was a Revell or Monogram kit of some sort.

Sorry about the dirt and dust, it's been in a cabinet for fifteen years and I didn't do a very good job of cleaning it off......
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It looks like it just came out of the barn, just like the real car would have.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Yes, I really should have given it a little wash and polish before photos! The wind was blowing when I shot the pics so it'd have gotten dusty anyway......

That little car was a fun build--a friend of ours in North Texas commissioned me to build it as a guide to his full-size '66 project. As far as I know, his 1/1 scale project never got past the resto of the pan and front and rear axles. We used to pester him as to why he wasn't making any progress and his excuse was that he couldn't find wheels like the ones on this model!
brass gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Great job. I love the outdoor setting for photos. Makes it hard to tell that it's actually just a model. The dust just adds to the realism.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

A few builds came together for me in 2017. Trying to rebuild a collection. I lost my collections a long time ago.

Bought a Revell VW Bus UN off eBay. Would love to build out all the Revell T3 models, not sure after this build.

Build came up great in UN flat white, but the vintage kit decals disintegrated when introduced to water. Always liked Bundeswehr T3's so went with the Testors Olive drab rattle can.

Next, I couldn't walk by the Revell Rabbit kit at a discount department store. I went with the Testors Bug Yellow rattle can. Paint went on way to thick and globby. Job was saved by the decals that cover the body side molding. This build won the model contest at the local car show last summer. Not many entrants.

After that, figured my skills were sharp enough to tackle the Revell Westy Kit:

Man that kit soaked up some time. Went through several color choices and landed on Tamiya British Racing Green.

Thanks to all builders that share photos here. They are very inspirational

Getting good photos of models is almost as hard as the build to me!!!
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

My favorite build is the latest one I've completed.

It's the Hasegawa Kubelwagen DAK 1/24. I bought an original edition. The kit has since been reissued in the last year or so.

I have been fascinated by Kubels since I was a kid. The original dune buggy. I bought an excellent recently published book for reference
and built a Tamiya 1/35 Kubel to warm up to the 1/24.

[/url]
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Good job, everyone!

I'm working on a 1/16 Tamiya Kubel that's been in my "to do" pile for over twenty years.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It's amazing the detail they've put into these, no doubt to cater to the military market.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
It's amazing the detail they've put into these, no doubt to cater to the military market.

Yes, I think that is part of it. Tamiya and Hasegawa have nearly always done lots of research and proper engineering in their military subjects. I've also had both manufacturers civilian VW kits and they're also quite nice. I do have to give Revell some credit as I've got their 1/16th Kafer and Ghia and they are not bad given that they are really old kits.
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Quote:
tracked bus engine - all resin cast parts from single port bug motor from Revell California Van, added valve covers from Revell street machine bug, added flywheel, distributor, carb and air cleaner from Testors Porsche 356, added cooling fan and starter from AMT corvair, added my own doghouse oil cooler exhaust and push rod tubes, needs more work but shaping up nicely!

I am always delighted by the creativity and imagination that I see in every project by Volkaholic.

I like the pushrod tubes--it never occurred to me to try and add those to one of my builds. That kind of detail is rarely seen on model VW engines. I hope Volkaholic doesn't mind if I steal the idea for a future project!

I am also impressed by the talents of your resin cast parts. I have a future project (thanks to Blue Baron) that may require one of your resin cast engines.
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Quote:
A few builds came together for me in 2017. Trying to rebuild a collection. I lost my collections a long time ago.

I know what it's like to lose a collection--but it looks like you've started another collection of super looking models. I really love the attention to detail on these kits. It takes a lot of work and commitment to finish models as well as you have. I was particularly impressed by the Rabbit--it looks very realistic in the photos.
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding a Revell "Deluxe Volkswagen Station Wagon" kit from 1965. It's been taking longer than most of my other models, so I thought I would post a few progress pictures. The dash turned out fairly well, and and I'm really happy with how the engine looks.

mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Smoothgateguy wrote:
Quote:

I know what it's like to lose a collection--but it looks like you've started another collection of super looking models. I really love the attention to detail on these kits. It takes a lot of work and commitment to finish models as well as you have. I was particularly impressed by the Rabbit--it looks very realistic in the photos.

Thanks for the compliments!
Your VW Station wagon build looks very nice. I like the trim rings on the wheels. Is it metal foil? I haven't got a lot of experience with that stuff but I was able to apply it to the Revell Westfalia camper hubcaps. Took a few stabs at trim rings but couldn't get the technique.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

The key to using foil is a brand-new X-acto blade. I've let it get just the slightest bit dull on the tip and the foil tears when I try to trim to the final shape.
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Really Great to see so much good work going on, and a few new names as well.

Volkaholic - I'm glad to see another of your one-off builds and the shorty snow blower bus is no exception. As someone who typically builds stock, its nice to see how you combine multiple threads into a single build. I'll be waiting to see the final reveal.

I'm also happy to see your work on the resin cast Revell bus engine. This engine is deficient in so many ways: it has no depth, missing the cylinders, heads and valve covers; as well as the simplified representation of the topside components - manifold, distributor, fuel pump. etc. Despite its limitations, I hope you will be offering it for sale as it is an engine that will fit where others will not.

Second Air Force - Nice job on your Hasegwa 1966 black beetle. Now its time to get back and finish your Kubel Smile

mellowslow - Really nice builds and it shows in the details. Yes, they do take a lot of time. On the Rabbit and transporter models, I admire the job you did with the window rubber. That is something I've struggled with and really need more practice to do well.

The Kubels are especially nice, both the model details and execution.

John (Smoothgateguy): The level of detail going into that Revell Station Wagon is amazing. I like the Mouse Grey color you chose, its a color I was thinking about using for a future build. From the addition of the headlight, wiper, and overhead light switches on the dash, to the fresh air hoses on the fan housing, and right down to the metal hose clamps, I can see that this will be one of the best Revell bus builds ever.
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments!
Your VW Station wagon build looks very nice. I like the trim rings on the wheels. Is it metal foil? I haven't got a lot of experience with that stuff but I was able to apply it to the Revell Westfalia camper hubcaps. Took a few stabs at trim rings but couldn't get the technique.

The key to using the Bare Metal Foil is practice. I get good results with BMF, but some modelers can work wonders with it. The trim rings are the product of a second try, as I completely failed the first time! It's best when the model itself has detail lines that you can follow when trimming away the BMF, but this was not the case with the Revell Bus wheels. My trick is to envision the cutting lines in your mind.

Second Air Force is right about using the sharpest blade you have. I have also picked up a few other tips watching YouTube videos.

The next challenge for the wheels is to try painting thin white walls on the tires--another thing that didn't work out so well the first time I tried.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 60

Jump to: