Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Mavans wrote:
Found and ordered this on eBay. All of the details on the back of the box are in German, I'm not sure this model was even released in the US. Build photos to come...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He posted it here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669563
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Nah... the build photos in that thread aren't of my model. I just posted a pic of the model in that forum since it'll end up matching my Vert... another member then posted his build pics. Might be a while before I actually start the build... work has me traveling a lot after the holidays... when I do build it, I'll post pics here.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Mavans wrote:
Nah... the build photos in that thread aren't of my model. I just posted a pic of the model in that forum since it'll end up matching my Vert... another member then posted his build pics. Might be a while before I actually start the build... work has me traveling a lot after the holidays... when I do build it, I'll post pics here.

Sorry and Yes, I realized that later
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

When I received my model, it was factory sealed, but missing the body of the car and the rubber tires. Since it was shipped from the UK, I was concerned about a quick fix. I contacted the seller on eBay and they quickly shipped me a second model, free of charge. The second model has all of the parts. Revell apparently just screwed up in packaging the first one.

Previous: 1973 SB Autostick, 1977 Vert
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Been on the road a lot for work. Finally got this finished... my modeling skills aren't what they were when I was younger and building a lot of models.. but it came out OK...

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1611531.jpg[/

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

turned out really nice, good work, I like that the engine has heater boxes and sleds, most models do not have that level of detail.
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Yea the kit was actually pretty accurate.. air cleaner mounts backwards.. besides that.. I didn't see any big mistakes. I left off some of the trim work as I don't have it on my bug and was trying to get as close as possible to my own.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Nice color combination. Beautiful paint.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Thanks... tried to get as close as possible to my Vert.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

My latest build, this is a repop of the 1971 AMT Der Beetle Bus funny car. This thing is crazy, Notice the early 70's classic box art, jacked up frame and tires sticking way out, that was the cool look at the time. the model came with mid engine Crystler V8 and 3 foot shortened (took out the side doors) and it came with a bunch of odd accessories like bug eyes and arms reaching out the sides. I decided to go "modified pro street". list of modificaitons includes, front wheel well tubs to pull the front tires under the body, 12" rear fender flares, but keeping the stock wheel well arch, body has been sectioned 3" to lower it, top has been chopped 3" to lower it, body has been channelled down on the frame 12" to drop it, head lights, tail lights and turn signals are frenched (sunken) into the body, headlights are blue tinted, taillights are 59 Caddilac with blue dot tips, braking parachute and wheelie bars complete the look, all glass is blue tinted, dark blue metallic paint, the light blue metallic band is not paint, it is actually DUCT TAPE! carefully applied, roof lifts off so you can see inside. Inside modifications include silver interior, chopped down front seats, metallic blue seat belts with buckles, classic 70's "barefoot" gas pedal. Engine has 2 distributors with wires, gas tank in the back runs a holley red fuel pump with supply and return lines.
Kit also came with a miniature box and a short section of roadway. It took about a month to build.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

inside shots,,,,

Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Very nice build... and that box is awesome!

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Now that's what I'm talking about! This model was wild to begin with, and you took it and ran full ape sh*t. Really nice job of taking something that was insane to begin with, and turning it on its head. This kit is supposed to be messed with.

Respect.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

I've been working on getting the garage set up with all the models and RC VW's I have. I didn't have a Thing from the one I had from '95-'00 and couldn't find one. So I bought the Tamiya VW M-04L chassis and went on to designing the body using Autodesk Inventor and 3d Printing in on my Robo3d. All the body panels were printed individually and the epoxy coated to smooth out print lines. Once that was done, it was primered, assembled, and then sanded, primered, sanded, primered, sanded painted, wet sanded and final coated. The bumpers were then printed and painted as well as the VW emblem, front turn signal lights and rear deck latch. I don’t like the tail lights so I am planning on creating those and printing them in clear, just a wafer thing piece. The wheels are Tamiya Sand Scorcher with RC4WD Mickey Thompsons cut to fit, the chassis suspension is moded a bit to raise it up. It does drive, though not very well and will likely join the others on the shelf, especially after four months of working on it.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

awesome work. yes, 3D printing is the future of this hobby. I have been building and modifiing for years, recently got into resin casting parts, and jus has a few 3D printed for my next build, so thing are going to get real interesting over the next couple of years as 3D printing expands.
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
list of modificaitons includes, front wheel well tubs to pull the front tires under the body, 12" rear fender flares, but keeping the stock wheel well arch, body has been sectioned 3" to lower it, top has been chopped 3" to lower it, body has been channelled down on the frame 12" to drop it, head lights, tail lights and turn signals are frenched (sunken) into the body, headlights are blue tinted, taillights are 59 Caddilac with blue dot tips, braking parachute and wheelie bars complete the look, all glass is blue tinted, dark blue metallic paint, the light blue metallic band is not paint, it is actually DUCT TAPE! carefully applied, roof lifts off so you can see inside. Inside modifications include silver interior, chopped down front seats, metallic blue seat belts with buckles, classic 70's "barefoot" gas pedal. Engine has 2 distributors with wires, gas tank in the back runs a holley red fuel pump with supply and return lines.
It took about a month to build.

Wow Volkaholic you are really going full steam. I can't believe you did all that in one month. Nice job!
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
So I bought the Tamiya VW M-04L chassis and went on to designing the body using Autodesk Inventor and 3d Printing in on my Robo3d. All the body panels were printed individually and the epoxy coated to smooth out print lines. [/img]

YDBD - that is pretty cool!. I like your photos of the finished product - it looks like the real 'Thing'. Thanks for sharing.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Just freshened this one up. It's a vintage model of the VW of superhero cartoon character Batfink.

The car was called the Batillac, and it was featured prominently.

Batfink was sort of a cross between Batman (with a real bat), and the Green Hornet, with a politically incorrect
sidekick named Karate in place or Kato/Robin.

If you like your cheesy cartoon superheroes driving VWs, this one's for you.

Heinz Nordhoff
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

man, I never even heard of the show! awesome retro stuff
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

The car was called the Batillac, and it was featured prominently.

Well I learned something new today.

Nice. Are those the decals that came with the kit?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 60

Jump to: