Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
here's a granddaddy Beetle kit, the Pyro VW Sunroof Sedan from 1959.
It was officially approved by the Volkswagen factory.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The kit was old-tech, with multiple piece construction. It came with two mechanics and an engine stand.

Thanks to Blue Baron for introducing me to the pyro kit in this forum. Having posted multiple builds of the pyro here, its obvious that he is partial to these. The kit has a lot of period charm, but it is a bit tricky to build. I found his build pics and comments very helpful as i completed my first build of the original kit.

This kit was 2015 christmas gift. It has taken over a year for me to build. I spent a lot of time honing my skills with Bare Metal Foil (BMF). However, in reality, there were long stretches where I was too busy with other projects to get much done. I did made a few modifications and details that also prolonged the build.

The kit i started with was missing a few parts. I was able to make replacements by using parts from a second kit that i purchased as a guide. The black parts were the originals and the whitish ones are my replacements.

The interior has lots of detail. In a way I hated to see it get covered up as I assembled the model. In pics below, you can see how I pushed the drivers seat back a bit as it is a bit too close to dashboard, IMHO. The passenger seat was left in the stock position.

The engine has some detail, but is relatively simple compared to some of other models shown in the forum. I was able to add some bling with BMF. I also covered transmission with BMF.

One issue with the pyro kit is that deck lid hinges are too long, which results is big gap between deck lid and body when assembled. So I decided to make my own hinges.

Here is how it looks on the finished model:

Here are some more shots of the finished model:

I decided to leave the sunroof cover off the model, as it covers about half of the opening in the roof. I really didn't want to restrict the view into the interior. I have thought about making a 'removable' sunroof that will help keep the interior clean, but still allow me to peak inside whenever I want to.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack1448 wrote:
Thanks to Blue Baron for introducing me to the Pyro kit in this forum. Having posted multiple builds of the Pyro here, its obvious that he is partial to these.

After seeing your photos, could anyone blame me?

I especially like your paintwork on the mechanics. I wasn't blessed with a steady hand like that. Maybe I could send you a couple sometime?

When this kit was released at the end of 1959, the VW was just hitting its stride in the U.S., and Pyro sold tens of thousands of these kits. Unbuilt ones still turn up on eBay fairly regularly, and even in the Samba classifieds.

Incidentally, the photo you posted at the top of your thread is of a car I built 30 years ago!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

jack1448 wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:

The car was called the Batillac, and it was featured prominently.

Well I learned something new today.

Nice. Are those the decals that came with the kit?

The decals came from my partner in crime, Hacksaw BoB.

I can't wait to see what you tackle next, Don. I know it takes you awhile, but I'm patient and your work is worth the wait.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

incredible work man, very nicely done
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

My latest, work in progress here, I just finished the Mad Max Interceptor build, so I decided I needed 1 for myself and the wife, so this is the Mad Clark and Charity build, based on a VW of course! I started with the Revell California Roller VW bus, it is highly modified, including dual tires and all 4 corners, a trap door escape hatch with a sawed of shotgun, knife and detonator to 3 sticks of dynamite on the underside, windows will have expanded mesh screens, roof top has scratch build Gatling gun, upholstery is "Ox Blood" color. Engine is Porsche 911 with twin plug Porsche 356 crank shaft drive with 2 sets of wires, soon to be turbocharged. I am currently doing some other crazy things with the roof and I will fill the inside with equipment and stuff you need to survive in this new world disorder,,, to be continued

jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
My latest, work in progress here, I just finished the Mad Max Interceptor build, so I decided I needed 1 for myself and the wife, so this is the Mad Clark and Charity build, based on a VW of course! I started with the Revell California Roller VW bus, it is highly modified ...

This is not necessarily to my taste, but I admire your creativity. I will be watching for updates on this build Popcorn
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

That's just as wild as we've come to expect from you!

Might be a bit of a handful without power steering though! Laughing

Heinz Nordhoff
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

update on Mad Clark & Charity build, you are looking at the ceiling of the VW van, the silver lines are hoses for the hydraulics that spin the gattling gun and rotate the turret. The ceiling is covered with heavy metal album covers, I picked ones that I think look really cool, not necessarily the best music by that specific band, can you see them? The list includes Iron Maiden, Molly Hatchet, Helloween, Disturbed, Dio, Motorhead, G&R, Exodus, Slaver, Twisted Sister, Korn, King Diamond, Marilyn Manson, Manowar, Metallica, Hammer Fall, Sepultura, Anvil, 2 from Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Wasp, Kiss, and just for fun, I added Softcell, Talkingheads and Patsy Cline.

jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It's official - you have a sick mind. But I'm starting to warm up to it! Popcorn
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I just can not stop, it must be an obsession,,, more madness, you have seen the inside of the roof on the Mad Clark and Charity build, here is the outside, gattling gun on 360 turret, chicken coop with 3 hens, 4 five gallon buckets with food = tomatos, potatos, onions and hot peppers, 2 buckets of water, a lazy gray cat, and my favorite part, the barbed wire, it turned out real nice, trying to look old and rusty and hooked onto pipe and angle iron bars.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Here's a project I haven't documented here yet.

Several years ago I decided to build of model of a VW gasser from my favorite era, the early 1970s. I decided to concentrate on building an NHRA-legal, I/Gas VW. In 1973 the rules were changed to allow up to 4-inch chop tops, and one by one, most of the VW racers had the rooflines lowered.

NHRA had very specific rules, and you couldn't just use what was popularly known as a slant chop. The window angles had to remain stock. (One notorious racer from the Northeast set records with a illegal chop top, causing a lot of anger on the West Coast.)

The 1973 NHRA rulebook under modified eliminator stated for gas coupes and sedans: "moderate customizing is allowed, but body may not be chopped, channeled or sectioned more than four inches in total height reduction. All tops that have been chopped must maintain original windshield and rear window angle. Body cannot otherwise be altered in height, width, length or contour."

So in order to remain legal, the VWs had to maintain stock windshield and rear window angles, and otherwise no change in width or contour.

I started my choptop with one of my favorite old standby kits, the IMC Volkswagen. (Two, actually, as I would need two roofs.) I decided to follow an article in the summer 1973 issue of Volkswagen Greats magazine, which showed step-by-step how to do an NHRA-legal chop top.

One model went into the brake fluid to strip off the paint. This would be the primary car.

Next the donor roof was cut from the spare body.

Next I trimmed the B pillar.

Finally I sawed off the front roof section, which would be disgarded.

Here's the donor roof trimmed and ready to use.

Heinz Nordhoff
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Stripped of paint, the primary body was ready for surgery.

Next I glued braces in the door openings, and cut out the B pillar sections, to be reused with the donor roof.

Next step is to hack the windshield posts, just like in the article.

Finally, the front half of the roof was cut off. Note that it was cut long, to compensate for stretched roofline.

Next, the rest of the roof is cut off, and the two roof sections connected.

The contour takes shape, just like in the book!

Heinz Nordhoff
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

After the roof was attached, the next step is making the B posts.

B posts cut and fit.

Looking good so far!

Comparison with stock IMC body. Note shortened doorframes under construction, putty on seams.

Heinz Nordhoff
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Rough body in primer. Note airscoop in decklid, and the solid silver BRMs custom made by master jeweler Shane Socash.

Engine under construction. I did take a bunch of shots of the chassis under construction, but unfortunately those seem to be misplaced. Hopefully they will turn up!

Heinz Nordhoff
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Shots of the finished gasser! While I would love to have created one of those wild candy paint jobs from the era, I'm not a great painter,
so I decided just to go with shiny Testors red. Note the dechrome job, removal of running boards and rocker panel covers.

NHRA required some type of rear bumper, and most VW racers ran a single nerf bar. Tailights were typically just the plastic lenses.

NHRA also required sealed beam headlights, and most racers used the smallest ones available that were still legal.

The minimum legal weight on an I/Gas VW was 1225 pounds. A typical I/Gas VW would run an engine that was just a shade under 2000 cc,
with 12.5:1 compression. Carbs were 48 IDA Webers, and ignition was Vertex magneto. The transmission had a super diff, close ratio third
and fourth gears, heavy duty side plates, and was heavily gusseted (but still tended to break). Brakes were typically 356 B on the rear only,
and stiffer rear torsion bars were used.

Typically, the I/Gas VW ran in the high 11-second range. Its big brother, the H/Gas VW, was even quicker!

Heinz Nordhoff
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

awesome work man, great roof lines, the magneto is a nice touch
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Wow - incredible attention to detail and execution. Nicely done!

Even though the door bracing wasn't really necessary for a styrene model body, its remarkable to see the detailed steps used to lower the roof as was done 'back in the day'.

To bad about the chassis pictures, I'm sure they would have revealed some more amazing details.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Finally finished this 1,,,
Mad Clark and Charity in “The Bettie” VW bus
4 month build time, starting with Revell California Roller VW Bus, this concept is based on the Mad Max series of movies involving the post-apocalypse world. Max had a Ford Interceptor, we have a VW Bus.
My character is pointing a sawed off shotgun at someone off site, my dirty and worn jeans provide a place to hold my knife and a few spare shells. I have both current and future tattoos including blue heart memorial, Wolfsburg hood crest, goth Tinkerbell, Egyptian ankh and “Mr Zero”, and Porsche Stuttgart lower back crest, along with my long flowing locks of blonde ambition hair. She has pink and purple hair, purple paw tattoo and a purple panther tattoo down her back. She has two reverse draw holsters to hold her M1911s and a big knife. She also has chromed, star shaped sunglasses. Aberdean the dog is sitting still for once. There is a lazy cat on the front seat and another sitting on the deck by the Gatling gun, and finally 3 chickens are in the coop.
Panning around the vehicle, you can see a host of modifications to survive the harsh New World Disorder. Including: dualie wheels at all 4 corners with mismatched rims, all windows have no glass and expanded metal installed over them, each corner has a spiked pole with a severed head mounted to give fair warning to bad guys approaching, roof has tanged barbed wire around it, to keep the chickens, food and Gatling gun safe from sneaky people. Mis-matched colored passenger door and rear hatch, both sides have murals of Bettie Paige with “The Bettie” written near, various tools have been attached to the outside for easy and quick use in an emergency, two 5 gallon Jerry cans are mounted above the rear tires on the right and split firewood is stacked on the rear left. Front has a spare tire mounted, along with a 4ft farmer’s jack above that, and a winch on the pipe bumper. The driver’s door has 13 hatch marks on the side, a shout out to Pam Poovey from the cartoon Archer. Don’t forget about the solar panel and roof mounted windmill. Water is stored and food is grown in 5 gal buckets on the roof. 6” pipe coming out the driver’s side is the chimney for the fireplace. Engine is Porsche 911 flat six with dual distributor crank drive from a Porsche 356. Severed arms hang off the rear bumper from someone we did not like. Inside has a fire place with grill top, sunny side up eggs are cooking in the pan, with dirty pink dishes nearby. We have an extra 30 gallon fuel tank mounted mid-ship, shelves hold various canned food items along with lots of cereal boxes. We got a bed at the back complete with pillows. Floor is littered with dirty clothes, boots, and tools. We got ammo cans, guns and toilet paper stored at the doors. You can see the escape hatch in the floor, leading to a sawed off shotgun, a knife, a water can stored underside along with a detonator for the 4 sticks of dynamite secured under. And finally, no post-apocalypse world would be complete without a built in CB radio in the dashboard. We are ready,,, are you?

Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

AWESOME Exclamation Exclamation

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Escape hatch seems a little small. Maybe Aberdean and Lazy cat can get away.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 60

Jump to: