Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Here is a finished photo of the front compartment of the big kit. The spare tire bracket was attached to the crossbar instead of being glued to the front beam support so I could repeatedly test-fit this to the body. The brackets for the tire holder are glued to the axle and it all meets up during body installation.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Revell's kit parts didn't work well with the Tamiya engine so some new tinwork was required. I just made it out of Evergreen sheet and used a little more styrene for the bumper brackets. The way Revell designed the inner fenders and apron on this kit isn't really perfect, but I decided against major surgery to change it. So, the bumper mounts sit at this goofy angle.

jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
I may as well share photos of the start of my new build. I decided to do up an AMT Superbug Gasser kit. This was a 3-in-1 kit that could be built as a street car, a drag car or as a pan buggy. It's based on the shortened chassis and running gear of the AMT Meyers Manx,
with a shortened Beetle body on top. The inspiration for this build is this shortened Beetle from Bug-In 11 in 1973.

Nice! I've seen this model kit before, but didn't realized it was based on a real car.
Will be very interested to see how the build progresses, and what twists you add! Popcorn
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:
Here is a finished photo of the front compartment of the big kit.

Great detail on the Tamiya kit. That engine and the surgery performed to meld the two kits is awesome!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

jack1448 wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:
I may as well share photos of the start of my new build. I decided to do up an AMT Superbug Gasser kit. This was a 3-in-1 kit that could be built as a street car, a drag car or as a pan buggy. It's based on the shortened chassis and running gear of the AMT Meyers Manx,
with a shortened Beetle body on top. The inspiration for this build is this shortened Beetle from Bug-In 11 in 1973.

Nice! I've seen this model kit before, but didn't realized it was based on a real car.
Will be very interested to see how the build progresses, and what twists you add! Popcorn

It's not based on any real car that I know of. I'm just using a real car as an inspiration for the build.

There's lots I like about this kit, and lots I don't like, because AMT was cutting corners putting a VW body on its Manx chassis,
instead of building a proper Volkswagen.

My plan is to build an old-school strip car that can be run with or without the body. The finished running gear. AMT only included
a metal rear axle. I used insuation from an old piece of VW wiring to create axle tubes, and add some real VW DNA.

AMT did a nice job with the front end detail. I added a master cylinder from a Fujumi Porsche.

AMT never really resolved the battery or gas tank mounting, so I looked at how the drag guys did it, which was to move the weight to the rear.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I'm really liking how you're proceeding on this one!
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

On the 1/16 sedan I'm stepping back a little in the chronological order. Here you can see the front bonnet in the open and closed positions. It was important to be able to fit all the opening doors and hoods properly and still be able to open everything for display. Revell allows for opening hood, but the hinges are nothing at all like the real car. With that in mind I fabricated hinges and a hood prop from Evergreen styrene and Tamiya parts.

The door hinges, on the other hand, are not too bad and work well with careful fitting.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I love the hood ratchet!

I can tell you're very familiar with the details of the early cars.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Thanks! The hood prop is 1/2 Tamiya and 1/2 Evergreen strip. Originally all this stuff was going to work as it does on a real car but there just isn't enough room between the front quarter panel and the glove boxes to fit a proper hinge in there. I had to fabricate hinges accordingly and they didn't work as the geometry was impossible to achieve. I had to go to the fallback of non functioning hinges. The lid still opens and closes, just not like the real thing.

As to the details, I spent a couple of years planning this build in the early 1990s and had most every document I could find on prewar/wartime/early VWs. Then the whole thing sat in a box for over twenty years. Now we have the internet, The Samba, and many newer publications to help fine tune this old project.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Here's my update.

I ordered an etched stainless steel detailing kit for the Superbug Gasser.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Very nice!

I've been away from car modeling for a while--whose product is that? It's excellent.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:
Very nice!

I've been away from car modeling for a while--whose product is that? It's excellent.

It's made by Detail Master. They make a number of photo etch sets.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Good to hear that Detail Master is still with us. I've been out of the aftermarket world for many years and just yesterday found out that Don and Carol Holthaus had decided to retire last year.

When we had our little resin casting business we went to quite a number of model shows and knew the people behind a lot of the aftermarket companies.
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

The Detail Master photo etched set is awesome! It's nice to know that there are so many detailing options available when planning a model build--whether they're etched parts, resin cast, custom decals or hand made pieces. I know Blue Baron puts a lot of clever thinking into every thing he does, so I'm sure the Superbug Gasser still holds a few surprises.

I'm also really digging the the attention to detail Second Air Force is putting in to his 1/16 Kdf project. I like to think I pay a lot of attention to detail on the kits I build, but the work going into this project knocks me out. Good Stuff!

I see that Jack/Don is correcting the proportions on another cool kit. I admire that kind of talent--it's really something that's just not in my skill set. I look forward to seeing how this kit progresses as well.

My latest project, the 1965 issue Revell Deluxe Station Wagon kit is taking a lot longer to build than most of my other projects, but it's finally about to come together. I just want to thank everyone for their kind support and advice!

It's true that every model kit built is really one of a kind.

P.S. When is a scale model Barndoor kit going to come out? I would be first in line for one of those.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Smoothgateguy wrote:
P.S. When is a scale model Barndoor kit going to come out? I would be first in line for one of those.

If you go clear back to page 1 of this thread, you see how builder Anchovy did it. It's a shame we never saw the finished product.

The short answer is, we make it ourselves!

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Here are a few photos of earlier items, starting with the footboards. I just used the Tamiya Kubel parts as a guide and constructed a set from Evergreen styrene. Then the seats were built up using wire for the seat frames. Revell's seat frames are somewhat over-scale especially at the hinge points for the seat backs. I also added the thumb screws for adjusting the seats fore-and-aft.

Also a while back in the build the ride height was adjusted and here is one photo of the process. This was pretty simple on the rear since I used strictly Kubel components, but the front spindles were modified to get the right height.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I've been busy with life lately, so I haven't found much time for my build, but here's a quick update.

I never cared for the tiny seats that come with the AMT Superbug, which are closer to 1/30 scale than 1/25, so I opted for a seat
from a Revell VW. My contrasting color is red, so I decided on red seat belts.

Keep in mind the length of the entire model will measure from the Z through the M on your keyboard.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Excellent!!
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

wow - super nice build, love how the seatbelt turned out
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!

Today I addressed my biggest complaint about the Superbug kit. No self respecting VW that calls itself a gasser should come with
the wimpy dual carbs that this kit provides. AMT should be ashamed. To fix the problem I added these Weber 48 IDFs.

I had to notch the body a bit to make them fit, but now I should have no trouble making those sub-12 second e.t.s!

Heinz Nordhoff
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Spotted at local car show;

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 60

Jump to: