Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Good looking camper!

Here are a couple more photos of the wartime sedan. First the seats, which were made from kit parts with wire lower frames and home-made wingnuts. The rear bucket is the two ends of the normal rear seat sectioned and spliced together. The steering wheel came from the Kubel kit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The third photo shows the new headlight buckets. Revell provides a really shallow headlight assembly that just feeds into a hole in the fender with no bucket. I dug in my spare parts and found these--spare spinners from Eduard 1/48 I-16 kits. They aren't absolutely perfect to us, but the average person wouldn't know the difference!

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Of course, the bumpers in the Revell kit are for a late Split sedan so they required modification. I trimmed the bumpers themselves with files and a Dremel tool back when I first started this project in the 1990s but never attacked the guards until a few months ago.

To build up appropriate banana style guards, I simply laminated Evergreen styrene strips together and then started grinding and sanding.

Once I got the shape where I wanted it final touchup was done with sandpaper. Here's the comparison a scratchbuilt early guard next to the kit part:

And one picture of the two completed bumpers with new mounting brackets and the crank support.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

i finally made some good progress on my VW bus snow blower, blower is belt driven from a hydraulic unit, woman is to give a sense of scale, this thing is HUGE - you can move some serious snow with this thing. Does the blower turn? of course! I like the warning signs, i think they turned out well = Danger, Auctung, skull, hand with fingers cut off and stick figure man cut in half, you can not figure out to stay away from this? what can i do? red spiral and panels are to help tell if it is running or note.

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I love it!!

Even with all your safety placards I know people who would probably put their hand in there anyway........
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it hooked up to the bus.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I found some time over the weekend to work on the AMT Superbug. For all intents the chassis is finished. I still need to add the
exhaust, and I may add some wiring or fuel lines at some point, but it's pretty well set.

I could have gotten more carried away, but the intent was to build a proper Superbug Gasser that follows the theme of the
original kit while addressing a few issues I had with the kit. (I even kept the wheel/tire setup of the kit, with the pad-printed
tires from the new reissue.) Note the addition of a control box, so the car could be driven with or without the body, and the
fire extinguisher.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Looking good!

Those tires bring back a lot of good memories of digging through boxes to find four tires with concentric whitewalls.....
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

very nice build, i love how the seat and extinguisher turned out
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

A photo of the body after paint, followed by the beginning of window preparation. Revell did an interesting thing on this kit by having the inside of the roof as a separate piece that nests nicely into the body. The glass is trapped between the two pieces, so I painted the edges of each glass pane with black to represent the seal. More will be shown in a later post to show how it all gets assembled.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

nice! i dig it
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

My hat is off to the quality of all the projects currently in production. Not only to the amount of details, but to the level of thought involved. I look forward to seeing how they all progress. The bar is certainly set very high when it comes to the scale models here! I believe that the real fun in building a kit is not just putting together a fine model, but how much customizing and personal details that are added to it. Great stuff!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement!

Here's the latest project on my desk, an old Gunze Oval. I'm converting this one to a Standard (in the first photo I've shaved the chrome off and started fixing blemishes) to replicate Ingrid, our 1/1 scale '56 Standard.

Gunze molded this one with oversized and mis-located exhaust cutouts, so these got filled and new ones added later.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

This one's more my speed! Laughing But don't let this shelf the big scale project!

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Oh, the big one has been finished for months--I'm only recapping the build here for y'all. It's sitting on my television (we still have a console TV Cool ) right now. The 1/24 car has been sitting in a box for a lot of years and now felt like the time to build it.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

TRADITIONAL!
OLD SCHOOL!
SUPERBUG!

I have a nice decklid for it, but I still haven't resolved that issue because I don't want to cover up the engine!

While I thought AMT came up short with the carburetion (and I had to take the problem into my own hands), they made up for
it with one of the widest exhausts ever! It was probably not very efficient, but I bet it sounded good!

I've wanted to build a proper AMT Superbug kit for years, and I'm satisfied that I gave a strong nod to the 1970 kit, while fixing
some things I thought the original kit fell short on. Also, one of the new reissue kits made a great parts donor.

Finally, kudos to Hacksaw BoB for the SUPERBUG logos.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Beautiful!
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

WoW Blue Baron Exclamation

It looks like a real street legal SUPERBUG . . . Exclamation

Great Work Exclamation

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Nope. All the street legal stuff was left off of this one.

Heinz Nordhoff
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Very Cool - a nice clean build! 'Applause'
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

WoW Blue Baron Exclamation

It looks like a real street illegal SUPERBUG . . . Exclamation

Great Work Exclamation

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 60

Jump to: