Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

here's my latest model challenge - armory 1/144 scale kubel (24mm long!)
a clever design using photo etch side panels, just hope I dont loose a headlamp in the carpet Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

That looks pretty nice, can't wait to see the end result!!!
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Wow - tiny! You must have good eyes, or one big magnifier.

Those are quite some plastic trees for the wheels and other parts. It looks like they were intended to be used in a display once its complete. I guess you can do 2 sizes depending how much space you have.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

just about blind now, like donald pleasance in the great escape! Laughing added a few extra details like the folded top, notek light, number plates etc problem is not so much seeing but handling sub miniature bits...but all good fun!
grain of rice for idea of size

with an oxford die cast beetle

and a matchstick

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Just goes to show how far technology has come to create something so small and detailed.

This is not to detract from the artistry that also went into the build.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

That looks excellent! Now all you need is a 1/144 Ju 52 to load it in!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

thanks for the comments
I think that computer aided mould machining and 3d printing have helped the quality of models a lot. acrylic paints are light years ahead of the old sticky enamels too. I remember how excited I was as a kid to get the tamiya kubel kit and thinking how much better it was than the airfix kits I was used to. now the tamiya kubel looks so basic and dated...
secondairforce - great idea or perhaps a 1/144 gigant? Cool

I wish somebody would make a kit of the type 62, I really like the look of that car

jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I finally got around to getting some finished pics or my IMC build.

I pretty much finished this about a year ago, and then worked intermittently ever since getting decals for it. The kit came with decals, but lets just say that the last 50+ years took a toll on them. As soon as they were submerged in water, fragments started breaking off and floating away. Whatever remained of the decal piled up like snow in front of a plow when I attempted to slide it off the backing paper. After a couple of false starts, I finally bought some decal paper off the internet and my wife printed me up a clean sheet.

While I originally was going for a stock build in its red molded color, that changed when I discovered the damage done to the passenger side windows. After the repairs were made (see page 23 of this thread), my plan for the build changed to replicating the gasser as depicted in the box artwork.

This required some modifications to the suspension to achieve the right track and body height. The rear springs were severely cut down in order to lower the ride height, and rear axle track widened slightly.

I also had to modify the front axle so that wheels would be centered in wheel wheels. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics. You will just have to believe me on this.

The engine is really the star of the gasser build. A 426 supercharged hemi with lots of chrome. Blue Baron mentioned some time back about the poor quality of the chrome on the original version. I discovered this firsthand when i saw how easily the chrome rubs off with handling, exposing the red plastic underneath. For this reason I decided to embrace the red and use it as an accent color throughout the build.

One thing I didn't like was how thick the plastic air scoop was compared to the cover artwork. I spent a lot of time filing down the inside to get the full throated look of the tunnel ram intake.

The kit doesn't come with a radiator which seemed like a big oversight. Don't see how the gasser could make a 1/4 mile run without one! So I included a scratch-built one, which just fit on the small platform that I added.

Compared to the engine, the rest of the chassis is a bit sparse. The only change I made was to add a tach to the steering column.

Some final shots of the finished assembly:

Finally, just to prove that I haven't been slacking off in the meantime, here's a teaser shot of what I've been working on in the meantime. More to come ...

Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Hi jack1448 . . . I am so impressed Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

That was surely a GREAT build and detailing on the IMC VW model Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I also appreciate your extra time and effort to create a special set of eye
catching photos, of your project, to further enhance your abilities Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It's an IMC extravaganza!

I love what you did with the air horn on the intake. I may modify mine the same way.

For my engine, I created a small radiator, like in an old issue of Popular Hot Rodding magazine, with a fuel tank to boot.

I originally started out creating the car on the box cover, just like you, but when my yellow paint turned green (!!)
I ultimately went for more of a nose-up gasser. I narrowed the rear end to make wider slicks fit.

We'll have to run them at the strip to find out which one is more boss.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Hi BoB,
Thanks for the nice comments. You might not know it, but you were a big help getting this project to the finish line. Some time back, you had posted about making water slide decals with an inkjet printer. Until I read your post, I thought you could only do that with some kind of special printer. So without your sharing those instructions, I'd probably still be chasing after an original decal sheet on flea-bay!

Hi GreG,
I'm glad you posted your pics, I always learn something new! One of the advantages of the nose-up look is that there is a little more room under the hood to get both radiator and gas tank in there. In my build, space was tight, so I originally planned to put the gas tank under the decklid. Instead, I put the parachute in first, and then there was not enough room leftover for the tank. I'm not completely happy about that, and I still might try to squeeze a tank in someplace/sometime. I guess that's why I never committed to gluing the body to the chassis!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

jack1448 wrote:
One of the advantages of the nose-up look is that there is a little more room under the hood to get both radiator and gas tank in there. In my build, space was tight, so I originally planned to put the gas tank under the decklid.

Actually, I had no more space than you had. I jacked the nose by lowering the suspension on the frame.

Heinz Nordhoff
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I was so busy in 2019 that I didn't build any models, so before Christmas, I spotted this built-up vintage IMC VW kit on ebay.
It looked like a clean build, and I have a ton of of spare parts, so I bought it for a quickie resto-build.

It was missing a rear bumper, one taillight lens, and the exhaust system. Also, the front axle was broken beyond repair during
shipping, but that didn't bother me. I knew a fragile model like this probably wouldn't survive the U.S. postal service, and the shipper
did a fair job of packing it.

The plans are to replace the broken and missing parts, do some detailing, and put on a coat of Future for a glassy shine, otherwise
leaving it as the IMC creators intended.

Stay tuned for more.

Heinz Nordhoff
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Looks like a clean and well-built vehicle for your resto-build. Can't wait to see the end results.

Where did the window winders come from? I don't think those were part of the IMC or later iterations of this kit?
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

They do look like window winders, but they're side-view mirrors. (The original and a spare.) It also needed the inside rear-view mirror.

Tonight I replaced the front end, and fixed the sagging right rear. I still have to do the left side, which will be a little more complicated
because someone tried to fix it with super glue. It also got NOS headlights. Laughing

There will be nothing earth-shattering here. It will just be a clean box-stock build. I built my first one of these with nothing but
a tube of glue and the willpower of an 8 year old. This will be a tribute to that model.

Heinz Nordhoff
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
Kommanderwagen update - notice anything odd about this figure? ok, let me give you a clue,, think Germany, think WWII, think NAZI, now does anything look odd? yep, he is wearing short pants! Really? short pants on a NAZI? i find it comical. The kit is for a dessert car, so evidently this was the dessert "combat short". Think about what if instead of cargo shorts, they can gone booty shorts, would the war have turned out differently? This car is Eastern Front in Russia, so i got to put long pants and a winter coat on him. will be a challenge.

Desert troopers at time wore shorts, as did the Brits.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Smoothgateguy wrote:
This is another papercraft project--the original Economotors VW-Porsche Dealership from the late 60's. It was located at Main and Fifth streets in Riverside, California. It was owned by EMPI grandfather Joe Vittone.

The plans are available online free, but come in 1/64 scale. It was easy to enlarge them 183% with Photoshop to make it 1/35 scale.

Here's the link: https://www.4shared.com/account/file/94557295/1d2c009f/Papercraft_VW_Economotors_Riverside_1_64.html

I've tried to make it as much like the actual dealership as I could, adding a paper street light, street signs, palm tree, roof stack and parking meter to the diorama. I put a poster in the front window, partly to hide the seam in the center of the building. I've also added window pennants, and a "VW" and "Genuine Parts" sign on the rear wall of the building.

Very cool seeing this, downtown Riverside was my stomping ground as a kid, I loved VW's since a ripe old age of 6. That would of been 1956. So yea my cousin and I use to visit this dealership quite often, walking up 5th st. was a huge garage door, where we could stand and stare. Watching the mechanics doing their jobs. Inside the dealership they were kid friendly as well, we were constantly collecting the availability of their sales pamphlets , The used car lot was to the right of showroom.
In mid 60's they began marketing EMPI bolt on parts and pinstriping by Mc Peak. I perfered as I do now, the generic bug. Simple and pure. Shortly later Econo moved to Riverside Auto center, way out of town on Indiana. And about that time Sierra Motors opened a small VW dealership on Magnolia ave. They werent doing well, and it became a Porsche dealership.
But yea thanks for sharing that....
Thomas
Oh the street light should of been the generic Riverside street light which were mission bells.

I made it so I would have a place to park my 1/35 scale paper Buses. I only have the Who Bus right now, but there are so many others available online I'm sure I'll make a few more.

Here's the diorama and a photo of the actual dealership side by side:

A few more slightly different views:

This is the rear of the building. I used Photoshop to add some graffitti to the side wall.

Although I'm not the type to post cat pictures, I thought this one was funny.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I finished my quick freshening of the IMC kit. Nothing earth-shattering here, just a straight-out-of-the-box build. This is a
tribute to the first one I built as a child about (gasp) 50 years ago.

Because the windows were already glued in, I didn't detail the window trim.

The IMC has oversize horn grills. Chrome trim is Bare Metal Foil.

It's not entirely clear the model year of the VW, because there are features from different years.

Some of the fun detail features include a manual in the map pocket

VW emblem formats

and Continental tires. Note the chrome heater boxes!

This is like a prequel to models I've built over the years. I still have a few more small details to add, such as side mirror. I also may
try and paint the steering wheel and controls.

Heinz Nordhoff
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I just grabbed this IMC VW promotional flyer off of ebay. These were sent to hobby shops to announce their new products
for the year. I'm guessing this is from 1967 or 1968.

The flyer includes box art from the kit, along with information on the Volkswagen.

Heinz Nordhoff
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Good job rescuing this 50-year-old model, adding a little bling, and restoring its ‘stock’ ride height from the awkward as-received slammed stance. The coat of Future adds a nice shine to the plastic’s molded color.

I’m not sure if you used a flash or if it’s because of lighting, but the color in your last post looks much lighter than the pictures you shared previously. It looks more like the color of one of the later re-releases rather than the ruby-ish red of the original.

Any new pics with the window winders - err side mirrors Embarassed - added?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 60

Jump to: