Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear drum shaving for Fuchs mounting
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Rear drum shaving for Fuchs mounting Reply with quote

Hi guys, i have a doubt and i have tried to search for an answer with the "search" method but haven't found something really specific.
Well, i have a 62 sedan with stock rear swing transaxle, so short axle; i want to mount a set of Fuchs, ok for the front i will have the CB combo spindles/disc kit, for the rear i already have a set of new german drums like these http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C23-501-310
In the vendor site, they said that to mount them on an early transaxle, you only need to machine the outer spine area of the drum of 5/8, to allow the nut enough space to secure thread.
But what about the brake pad shoes?
My stock pad shoes area in the stock drums is narrow than the ones in these new drums that use wider pads, must i have to change the pad too?
Is there anyone that used to mount these drums on a pre 67 beetle trans?
Will the back and "inside" area of these drums perfectly match with the back plate/bearing cover or i even need some spacer between the inner drum contact surface and the bearing?
Did you do other mods to fit these drums on?
I don't absolutely want to use adapters on my car so
any help would be very appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by nautha on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing?
garyj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to look at your supplied link, but it said "no longer exists" (or something like that). Was it a TypeIII style drum? If so, then yes, you will have to machine the snout of the drum to expose enough thread for the axle nut. That will not change anything with regard to the brake hardware. You've also mentioned wider brake pads..Yes, you will need them. To me it sounds like a TypeIII conversion. IF that is the case, you will also need the backing plates and cylinders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i remember right, you need 65+ wheel cylinders and brake pads and shave 10mm off the snount of the drum. Get a second opinion though.
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace wrote:
If i remember right, you need 65+ wheel cylinders and brake pads and shave 10mm off the snount of the drum. Get a second opinion though.

Ok, but on my 62 sedan short axle, maybe i also need a 5mm spacers for the rear other than a 68' type drum drilled 5x130???
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you even machine off the 5/8" as instructed? Seems like a good first step.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C23-501-310

You had the period at the end of your sentence trapped within the URL codes.

Looks as if you just need to trim the snout, but I'm no expert. Anyone else?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Did you even machine off the 5/8" as instructed? Seems like a good first step.

The solution (or the problem) is not only shave a 5/8 on that 68 drum, that i have already done. You also need to shave the interior section of the spline area to set measures.
And it's not enough because when you use this drum, you will also need to use and upgrade the bigger shoe pads to fit the entire braking section of a 68 drum like this; in other words you also need different pads, different wheel brake cylinders and the different and correct backing plates to fit the 68 parts...If would as simple as just shave as described...They put it simple on the website just to sell..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: