Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v flywheel clearancing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: 12v flywheel clearancing Reply with quote

i recently installed a 1641 with a 12v flywheel on a 65? bus. i test fitted the flywheel into the bellhousing of the tranny to see if any material would need to be removed, it fit fine. the engine is in and it wont turn, even if it's push started. i think the flywheel is bindind up against the tranny. where should material be removed from the case, i know with the T1 there is 4 spots, is it the same with a bus tranny and where do i do it? A quick response would be appreciated as i am pulling the engine on sunday. Thanks.

Brad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

Location: Somewhere in my mind... The Real er Laguna Beach :)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: 12v flywheel clearancing Reply with quote

When I had my tranny done by Rancho, my housing was cracked and I told them that I had a 12v flywheel so I figured it had been clearanced. They didn't clearance it and the engine went in easily, but just like yours it wouldn't turn, so it sounds like the same problem. I clearanced it all around on the high spots. I can't recall if there were 4 spots, but it is pretty easy to see where it needs to be taken down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
k29349@yahoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: 12v flywheel clearancing Reply with quote

Yes, it is the same as a bug.
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: 12v flywheel clearancing Reply with quote

problem solved, i hope, but where are the 4 spots?

Brad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zackG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: 12v flywheel clearancing Reply with quote

like scott said it's pretty easy to see, especially since your flywheels been grindin' up against it.
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: 12v flywheel clearancing Reply with quote

alright, thanks everyone, i hope it does the trick. off to work i go.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to clearance my belhousing in my 66 bus to accept a 1600 single port with a 12 volt flywheel. i will probably pull the flywheel to replace the pilot bearing and install a new oil seal b/c i am already in there.
i have never done this clearancing before so i am a little timid about grinding on my tranny. i am thinking i can hold the flywheel up to it and see where i need to grind. approx. how much material will i need to remove? will this make the bellhousing weaker and cause stress cracking?
thanks for your help

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
chazwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176016&highlight=grinding+flywheel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBB what bus do you speak of? Did you move up in the VW world and buy that logo'd panel?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link, i searched and dont see how i missed that one.
i found out today i have an auto starter, 12 volt. part # starts with 003.
the po said he converted to 12 volt. i have no idea what motor he installed with it bc it was missing. i guess ill get a new 12 volt starter bushing and install it anyway just in case my auto starter decides to take a crap on me. sounds like there is nothing to the grinding. wish me luck on monday

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
mulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just took an old flywheel and put it over the shaft, turned over the started and applied light pressure, and let the flywheel do all the work. Equal clearance all around in about 30 seconds. Just wipe ALL shavings out and clean.

SAFETY WARNING!!!
Keep all shirts, rags, dreads, ties, mullets, and fingers away from the started gear.

http://www.lasvegasvwclub.com/
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
HBB what bus do you speak of? Did you move up in the VW world and buy that logo'd panel?

Quote:
Posted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:57 pm

shit, i dont even remember what bus that was?

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mulk wrote:
We just took an old flywheel and put it over the shaft, turned over the started and applied light pressure, and let the flywheel do all the work. Equal clearance all around in about 30 seconds. Just wipe ALL shavings out and clean.

SAFETY WARNING!!!
Keep all shirts, rags, dreads, ties, mullets, and fingers away from the started gear.

I am going to call this bullshit as you make no mention of gland nut to center the flywheel on the mainshaft.... And as you described it the starter would simply bind or worse hurt your hands .......

The foolproof safe way if people dont know where or how much to cut is this--> leave off the clutch pressure plate and install engine just lining up with trans , turn engine over using a big wrench at the crank pully nut then tighten and turn tighten and turn untill you are all in ..

Now remove the engine clean out all the shavings and install clutch pressure plate and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.. No it wont weaken anything as the material removed is negligible and if done as I've described won't be too much, also is safe from fire because some folks have become carried away using die grinders and igniting the magnesum alloy case........ It make a spectacular fire that you can't put out and don't do like one dumbass I know and piss on it, he ended up in the emergency room with burns to his jewels........ Very Happy

Jim-
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you that dense? I'm pretty sure they installed the other stuff. And yes it can be done this way. There is another thread here on the Samba about doing that exact thing. Rolling Eyes

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good suggestion tightening the engine up and turning the crrank nut. i think that method sounds a little safer than using the starter. i guess you could line the engine up and barely start the nuts and use the starter to turn over the motor a few times, then tighten the nuts a little then repeat.
i really dont like the idea of starting a fire.

Thomas Jefferson
mulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
mulk wrote:

SAFETY WARNING!!!

I am going to call this bullshit as you make no mention of gland nut to center the flywheel on the mainshaft.... And as you described it the starter would simply bind or worse hurt your hands .......

Jim-

Call it what you will.............. This is NOT a high-speed operation. Between the tip of the mainshaft fitting within the flywheel, and the flywheel fitting within the lip of the tranny case, its pretty much a self centering task. The gearing on the starter and flywheel won't send it spinning like a top. It's LOW speed. Don't be fooled.

So if you can get your nards back from your gal, maybe you should give it a try before calling "Bullshit"...........

Safety warning still applies!

http://www.lasvegasvwclub.com/
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to be carefull off. I had never heard of this till the other day when I was talking to someone. He was working grinding out a bell housing. He hit the on of the studs and it sparked. It ignited the magnisuim (not I cant spell worth a crap.) The dust was all over him and burnt his arms face and hair. Ouch!!!!!
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davebuckholts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ just finished this on his DD panel. Ground it out with a die grinder and a burring bit. Still had to do some grinding with the flywheel.......tighten til you can barely spin with the pully nut; turn, turn turn. Repeat.

BTW, the trans case is AL, isn't it? Don't think that catches fire like Magnesium, does it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, the trans case is mag. Ask norcalnick, he was grinding one about a month ago, slipped and hit the studs, and went up in flames. luckily it just burnt his nasty body hair, no real harm was done
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah hearing that kinda freaked me out. I had those shavings all over me, and I know I sparked a few times but no fire. Thank goodness next time I will be alot more carefull with it.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: