Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tired of running on marshmallows (suspension needs changed)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Tired of running on marshmallows (suspension needs changed) Reply with quote

Well, we put a little over 1000miles on the H6 this week (it did great btw, but the gas mpg sucked, thats for a drifferent thread!)

I am running 215/70/16 geolanders, and i'm getting bad rubbing on the outter edge of my wheel well when i'm going up an incline or heavy braking.

I know my springs are way too soft with all the added weight I have on my westy (plate bumpers, dual batts, suby motor)

This is pretty much the wifes reqeusted upgrade too, the wind was so bad coming over the pass that I couldn't barely do over 50 without loosing control, if the seat had buttons on the bottom of it I would have swallowed it.

I am thinking I want do use the moog 5660 S10 springs up front along with some koni's.

However, in the rear (pretty soft too) I'm not sure where I wanna go there, I thought about air bags but I haven't seen much posted on those.

I haven't even put my tire carrier or jerry cans on yet.

Last edited by purplepeopleeater on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monroe makes shocks with a built in helper spring. Search the forum for sensatrac. Cheap too. I think the sacrifice in quality of the damping vs a koni
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...

looks like I could use Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shocks in my situation...model#58253 front and #58633 rear.

think using these would solve my dive issue alone? I am happy with the ride hight I have now, and if I go any higher I won't be able to fit it under my garage door.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you currently have the 1986 springs, I think the moog's will jump your front end up at least an inch and a half.

I went from the stock 85 springs, which are supposed to be the tallest, to the moog, and gained a little over an inch, also very heavily laden van with tube bumpers, AWagen, etc.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
If you currently have the 1986 springs, I think the moog's will jump your front end up at least an inch and a half.

I went from the stock 85 springs, which are supposed to be the tallest, to the moog, and gained a little over an inch, also very heavily laden van with tube bumpers, AWagen, etc.

What about springs in the rear? I think If i swap out the springs that I wouldn't use the coils but maybe just something like the Monroe 34970 Gas-Magnum Shock Absorbers? (34971 for the rear I think?)

Or should I stick to using the coils, info is really scattered on what people are actually using vs. mythcial armchair mechanics....hehe
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to add on the sensatracs, just haven't done it yet. Front and rear.
Looked like they were a fairly cheap gamble, and folks seemed to be not too disappointed.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20

Not having them on yet I haven't anything to go on, except the moog up front that I have.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my 85 2wd went soft, I replaced shocks with Konis, and springs with Steves new 2wd springs at Syncro.org. I feel like I am in a new vehichle! The van is extremely stable on the road, with and without full loading. Even my wife feels comfortable driving in high winds now.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Purple,

I had your same problem. My 15" tires were rubbing on wheel wells under hard turns, hitting small curbs, etc, yuck! The tired stock springs had to go.

I have an 86 Westy, heavy, with GW bumpers Suby motor, water, 2 peeps, etc.

My suspension upgrades:
- Moog 5660 springs
- Koni red shocks all around, adjusted as per InSyncro's recommendation to 2 turns
- Addco front 1" sway bay
- Steering rack bushings from Loogy
- Rear left spacer over the spring of approx 1", to combat westy lean.

The ride height is now about 17 1/4' all around, way better cornering, no more tire rubbing. Moog springs and Koni's make the most difference.

Downside: The alignment is not quite to spec. My alignment guy said no biggie, just rotate the tires every 5K miles or so.

Hope this helps!
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Hi Purple,

I had your same problem. My 15" tires were rubbing on wheel wells under hard turns, hitting small curbs, etc, yuck! The tired stock springs had to go.

I have an 86 Westy, heavy, with GW bumpers Suby motor, water, 2 peeps, etc.

My suspension upgrades:
- Moog 5660 springs
- Koni red shocks all around, adjusted as per InSyncro's recommendation to 2 turns
- Addco front 1" sway bay
- Steering rack bushings from Loogy
- Rear left spacer over the spring of approx 1", to combat westy lean.

The ride height is now about 17 1/4' all around, way better cornering, no more tire rubbing. Moog springs and Koni's make the most difference.

Downside: The alignment is not quite to spec. My alignment guy said no biggie, just rotate the tires every 5K miles or so.

Hope this helps!
CJ

CJ,
Nice setup.
There are some suspension parts and hardware in the works currently to help get vans aligned properly.
Thats all for now.
I will post more when there are tested and ready for retail sales.

I have not found a better 2wd shock than the Konis Wink
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
However, in the rear (pretty soft too) I'm not sure where I wanna go there, I thought about air bags but I haven't seen much posted on those.

I wish there were a good spring solution for the rear. I went with the air bags as their spring rate was a good compliement for the 5660 springs. Another option is the pivoting spring perch as there are lots of springs available for this.

climberjohn wrote:

What springs were insyncro using when he recommended 2 turns? The Koni red's adjustment is for rebound, and this adjusment is matched to the spring rate.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:

I wish there were a good spring solution for the rear. I went with the air bags as their spring rate was a good compliement for the 5660 springs. Another option is the pivoting spring perch as there are lots of springs available for this.

climberjohn wrote:

What springs were insyncro using when he recommended 2 turns? The Koni red's adjustment is for rebound, and this adjusment is matched to the spring rate.

The newest 2wd Schwenk springs as per Steve's recommendation.
The setting was my choice after testing all settings.
deutschewerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Monroe Sensatrac Load Adjust shocks all the way around and they will definitely not cure your soft front suspension by themselves. Did it help a little? Yes. Still get quite a bit of dive. The rear feels perfect, and the LoadAdjust shocks actually raised the rear a little, so now I have a decent difference in wheel opening from front to back (the van still sits much taller than all of my local Vanagon friends, gotta love '85s) I just recently came across all of this Moog 5660 info, and think that may be my ticket as well. Level out the van and higher spring rate for $50? Sign me up!
2000 Golf GL Race car
1993 Eurovan GL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
The newest 2wd Schwenk springs as per Steve's recommendation.

I wish he would publish the spring rate. I don't know about the latest ones, but I did try the old ones. The 5660 were much stiffer so this would require more damping.

I set mine up so that it's not quite critically damped. This means that when hitting a large dip in the road, the van will take the bump and immediately after it will extend slightly over the normal ride height and then it will settle back to normal height. This is the best compromise I've found for on-street handling and being fairly comfortable on washboard dirt roads.

http://www.ast-usa.com/resources/Critical-Damping.pdf
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets19.html
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple,
I'd suggest you include the big 25mm (1") swaybar to your plans.. as noted by Climberjohn.

As an admitted novice mechanic and tinkerer..
I installed my larger sway bar before doing any further suspension work.
Honestly. For the money it was the biggest leap forward.

Since then much more has been done.. but I think the sway bar is step number one.
Provides for a more stable platform from which to assess your own preferances in shock, spring, and bushing combinations.
And tis an easy install (relatively).

BTW.. Have you done the steering rack bushings? Powerflex from Loogy.. Firms up the steering noticeably.

I do not recall if you've rehabbed your front end.. but now is a good time to R&R all the bushings/sleeves/BJs/TRds.. etc.

All of this will tighten up the hanlding and contribute quite a bit to any new spring choice.

Best of luck in your project!
-j

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bags is sure where i'm leaning towards on the rear, that appears to be my best option.

However, the GW 2wd lift spring set is only $299...I am worried I might get too much lift with these and it would require me to buy more expensive shocks.

The moog 5660's in the front and bags in the back sound like the best price option for me, plus I could use the extra money and buy the monroe sensatrac helper shocks...I should rehab my whole frontend....nothing is too worn out but once I get poking around there i'm sure something will fall apart so I need to watch what I spend.

I won't need an air management system really either, I can just set the PSI I want before I hit the road...
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5660 springs $50
Slam SS-6 bags $150
Fittings/plates for bags $50

So the 5660/bags is $50 cheaper, but you'd need to do some welding. I just run independant schrader valves on my bags, that works fine.

Anti-sway bar and springs is a trade off. Stiffer springs need less anti-sway bar. This is typically the German tuning technique. Softer springs need more anti-sway bar. This is typical with American vehicles.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assess your own desires before commiting to a sway bar. A sway bar has zero effect on fore/aft motion. It will help with handling and wind buffeting, but not brake dive. It will also limit independent suspension travel.

I do wish somebody would make a stiff rear spring to complement the 5660 fronts. If somebody finds a place that would make custom springs, I bet you could sell a lot of them.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25mm swaybars and detachable links are in the works.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
Bags is sure where i'm leaning towards on the rear, that appears to be my best option.

However, the GW 2wd lift spring set is only $299...I am worried I might get too much lift with these and it would require me to buy more expensive shocks.

The moog 5660's in the front and bags in the back sound like the best price option for me, plus I could use the extra money and buy the monroe sensatrac helper shocks...I should rehab my whole frontend....nothing is too worn out but once I get poking around there i'm sure something will fall apart so I need to watch what I spend.

I won't need an air management system really either, I can just set the PSI I want before I hit the road...

The GW progressives will not like the weight of your EZ30 in the rear and will show it under various conditions.
GW says this right in the description and my experiences prove it Exclamation
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:

My 2wd westy was raised 1.5" with the new GW springs with a 1/2" westy lean. I have a WBX, and the van sits level front to back with no additional weight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: