Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torn ???
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanjenn wrote:
SPRINTER Cool

This. A nice used camper Sprinter is doable for $30k.

In 2013 it's rumored that 4wd will officially come to USA! This will be expensive I'm sure...
scottf3334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a split, bay, and vanagon.

The split I loved, but it really was more to look at than functional in todays world.

The bay was semi functional, no heat, no AC, loud, didn't feel real safe over 65mph. I still camped in it an had a great time, but didn't go too far from home.

The vanagon has good heat, good ac, keeps up with traffic, quiet inside etc... Driven it all over the place and when we get there, we are not worn out after dealing with all the traffic etc...

Driving something old and slow is fun as long as you don't have too go far. It is nerve racking dealing with the road conditions. Kind of the same reasons most people don't ride motorcycles on every long distance trip.

I say get a real nice 2wd vanagon camper that runs and looks excellent and put away some $$ for an engine conversion sometime in the future. Then get out there and make sure you like camping in it. Visit friends and relatives you haven't seen in awhile. Make it fit you.

Your engine swap decision can be made after you've had one for awhile and driven it around. Just be sure and keep enough money that you can do whatever swap you want to in the future.

Ask the same question an the bay forum may get you a different answer Smile
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever you buy, spend no more than 20k, you will need the other 10k to keep it running

here is the cheapest syncro westy on samba right now... 11k, it has rust
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1176493

I dont think you need 4wd, save money, buy a 2wd
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

It costs less to buy a van with a motor already converted, than to pay to convert one after you buy it

You sound like a Sprinter candidate, for reliability reasons. Vanagons need more than oil changes.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: budget Reply with quote

If I had 30K to use to get a rig that I could drive, live in and travel in .... I'd define if I needed a syncro or not - if not, get a good late model 2wd van preferably with engine "issues" and therefore cheaper - probably less than 3.5K. A syncro, less than 10K. Then off to Greasecar for a TDI conversion 12-14K??, or Ben in Montreal for a 2.5 suby 10-12K?? or to ??? for a Bostig conversion 10K??? The advantages of the TDI would be superior fuel economy and range.
Anyhow, after that - off to one of the Northamericanhightop installers for a hightop and custom interior. 3-6K.
If you've begun with a 2wd you still have budget for other niceties like big brakes, upgraded wheels and tires, maybe a paint job. Its obviously tighter if you've gone the syncro route.
You'd end up with a long distance traveling cruiser that you could live in for a while. With the engine conversion, it would hold its value well as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for $30K..

something like this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496371

if you don't like syncro then full westy w. conversion engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: