Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

any one running a 34 pict carb with bigger venturis
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: any one running a 34 pict carb with bigger venturis Reply with quote

Yes. This mod works very well with turbo (blow thgrough) and or running w.o. venturi. But you need some displacement "down under" to exploit it. A "simple" big big bore Solex can easily supply enough air for 120 hp. A stock 34 w.o. venturi can too, but the jetting is a challenge. also the ignition almost has to be programmable if you want a decent result. And you don´t have to buy the overprized units from BAS. There are other options.

As a comment to Paul´s old comment on cams. As I have stated many times elsewhere, if you want to use stock carb or modified stock carb induction the W cams are NOT what you want. The engines can be tuned to work fair, but the lower rpm range will always suffer. The milder Scat cams - soso. The pre 2002 C25 was quite good, the latter a little more troublesome. CB has a range of standard cams that work really well, so does Pauter and also Steve Long.
The more displacement the easier it is (naturally) to get some air speed into the manifold at idle, but on sub 2 liter engines I can make a stock carbed or modified carbed engine idle dead steady at approx 875 and still pull just around 100 hp at 4800 rpm. I have a 125ish hp 2165 in the bench right now that idles steady at 800 rpm. As the saying goes, and it really makes sense here: its ALL in the combo.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: any one running a 34 pict carb with bigger venturis Reply with quote

This seemed like a good place to post this, since I just found it. Here's someone that modified a 34-3 to use a kadron booster venturi up at the discharge nozzle. The original llink is dead so here's the Wayback link-

https://web.archive.org/web/20150426141640/http://www.flat4ever.com/34-pict-3-mod-t46887.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thought this was interesting, and I may eventually want to try it on a stock-ish build.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: any one running a 34 pict carb with bigger venturis Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
I put a stock carb on a 1600 dp with Scat C20 cam and it was pretty quick but it needed a lot more fuel at idle to make it work and pumped out a lot of fumes. Also an engine builder I used to supply parts to said anything more than an Engle 100 would't idle properly and would be unacceptable to the customers I actually supplied him cams milder than E100 before supply dried up.
How is the idle quality with these overbore carbs , larger displacement engines and aftermarket cam ?? .

Hi,

Do you have procedures photo or video for bore steps?. One of the engines that I have is a stock 1600, will it make a noticeable change in power if I did it?
vespist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: any one running a 34 pict carb with bigger venturis Reply with quote

Bigger standard carbs!!

http://ahnendorp.com/ or B.A.S are selling new pict 34 carbs that are bigger, 37 + 39 mm.

https://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Kaefer-Typ-1-Motorent...-2149.html
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: any one running a 34 pict carb with bigger venturis Reply with quote

Just sayin

Link
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: any one running a 34 pict carb with bigger venturis Reply with quote

I put a stock carb on a 1600 dp with Scat C20 cam and it was pretty quick but it needed a lot more fuel at idle to make it work and pumped out a lot of fumes. Also an engine builder I used to supply parts to said anything more than an Engle 100 would't idle properly and would be unacceptable to the customers I actually supplied him cams milder than E100 before supply dried up.
How is the idle quality with these overbore carbs , larger displacement engines and aftermarket cam ?? .
honeybeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aryue wrote:
Ian - there are two ways to go - if you don't have access to a nice shop or care to really take apart the carb.

Blackline Racing in Murray, Utah will remove, ream out and re-install the venturi for a little over a hundred bucks. Phone:(801) 747-3342 9AM to 6PM Mountain time.

or

You can buy one already done - http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Super-Stock-34-PICT-3-34-3-Carburetor-12V-Bocar-p/super-stock-34-3.htm

My build is described in a previous thread below:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20

- Andrew in Austin, TX -

I recently sent in a spare 34 PICT 3 I had laying around which Blackline reworked for me to the Super Stock spec. I am very pleased with the performance so far. They were super easy to work with as well.

Running an Engle W100 cam with stock valves, heads, and exhaust, so I've been reading this thread to see where to go next. Great stuff Samba!
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good guys! I've been having such a lively debate with myself whether or not to go 1776 or just 1641 and the carb seems to be the biggest challenge. Everyone has an opinion one way or the other on that.
If I go 1776 I'll want to make my current carb work for a while and probably go to duals after a year or two of driving and enjoying. I'd prefer while I'm cracking the case to make room for power and then wait to bolt on the parts that will let all that power out a little later on.
Thanks!

My 1679 Engine build.
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can wrap a drillbit with sand paper. Drill it till it gets thin. Don't remove the Venturi .
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aryue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - there are two ways to go - if you don't have access to a nice shop or care to really take apart the carb.

Blackline Racing in Murray, Utah will remove, ream out and re-install the venturi for a little over a hundred bucks. Phone:(801) 747-3342 9AM to 6PM Mountain time.

or

You can buy one already done - http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Super-Stock-34-PICT-3-34-3-Carburetor-12V-Bocar-p/super-stock-34-3.htm

My build is described in a previous thread below:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20

- Andrew in Austin, TX -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping from forever ago!
Anyone know where to get a bigger venturi for a Solex 34 Pict 3? I'm looking to keep the single carb for a while on my 1776 build and would love advice on the size I should go for.
Ian

My 1679 Engine build.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i just posted pitchures of my motor and bug in the gallery under bug-super beetle if you want to see the motor thanks spencerfvee...........................
spencerfvee wrote:
you got me thinking. i think your right. if i would go to a 32mm venturi it would slow the intake velocity down . i think thats why i have to run a 155 main jet. i allso kept the intake ports on the head small to help velocity and i allso did not open the ports up to big . on the end castings and the intake manifold tubes are real close to stock size i allso have the CR at 9 1/2 to help velocity . your right a booster ventri would be great . but would take a lot of room up it would have to be made out of something real thin like brass shim stock . if one could use a booster venturi from a kadron carb . i know they have low heat welding rods that they sell at swap meets that i have used in the past to weld sheet alum. and i have used it on a intake end casting to weld a hole up . i think it can be used on carbs . some thing i will have to look into your why i like samba. people like you give great imput allso could you post your data on your flow simulations for the 34 pict carb i very much would like to se them spencerfvee
yellow73kubel wrote:
The more creative part of me loves this stuff.. Great to hear some success stories. I'm very tempted to try it out this summer.

I spent a while last year doing flow simulations on 34 pict venturi designs in Autodesk if anyone is interested in the data. I found that it's a very delicate balance. The volume increase is significant in all cases, but the majority will slow down the intake velocity far more than desired. In short, a boost venturi is really handy once you punch out the stock venturi past a certain point (~28-30mm). Unfortunately, the "best" design would put it right where the choke butterfly is, so that needs a more elegant solution...

I didn't even know where to start with getting the proper amount of fuel in there, but it looks like most of you are way ahead on that.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brings up a good point, do any any of y'all have experimental data for these carburetors? Manifold vacuum off of a few different engines would help a lot. Tubing size, engine displacement, and compression ratio would all be handy. Obviously there's more to it, but lets start simple. Smile

I found all of my simulations last night. When I have some free time this week, I'll get them done and post the results. I do need to work through my calculations again since I lost the original ones.

My calculations are based on the maximum vacuum at the manifold on my engine. Using a simplified version of the Bernoulli principle and a few assumptions, I came to the conclusion that a stock ~1600 creates enough suction for 105m/s air velocity at that point. The simulations work their way "up" from there, yielding the maximum velocity and flow rate at the fuel outlet.

The first useful test was that pulling the venturi out yields a 13% decrease in flow velocity (213m/s down to 183m/s) with a 41% increase in flow area (539mm^2 to 907mm^2). That's what Motor is seeing in his 1904.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got me thinking. i think your right. if i would go to a 32mm venturi it would slow the intake velocity down . i think thats why i have to run a 155 main jet. i allso kept the intake ports on the head small to help velocity and i allso did not open the ports up to big . on the end castings and the intake manifold tubes are real close to stock size i allso have the CR at 9 1/2 to help velocity . your right a booster ventri would be great . but would take a lot of room up it would have to be made out of something real thin like brass shim stock . if one could use a booster venturi from a kadron carb . i know they have low heat welding rods that they sell at swap meets that i have used in the past to weld sheet alum. and i have used it on a intake end casting to weld a hole up . i think it can be used on carbs . some thing i will have to look into your why i like samba. people like you give great imput allso could you post your data on your flow simulations for the 34 pict carb i very much would like to se them spencerfvee
yellow73kubel wrote:
The more creative part of me loves this stuff.. Great to hear some success stories. I'm very tempted to try it out this summer.

I spent a while last year doing flow simulations on 34 pict venturi designs in Autodesk if anyone is interested in the data. I found that it's a very delicate balance. The volume increase is significant in all cases, but the majority will slow down the intake velocity far more than desired. In short, a boost venturi is really handy once you punch out the stock venturi past a certain point (~28-30mm). Unfortunately, the "best" design would put it right where the choke butterfly is, so that needs a more elegant solution...

I didn't even know where to start with getting the proper amount of fuel in there, but it looks like most of you are way ahead on that.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi alstrup . update. i got the motor built . i have the motor in my bug its a 2180 V26 cam scat 1:2:1 rockers 40 by 35 valves mild port work 82 by 92 thanks to you on your imput i got the EMPI 34 pict carb running good . i found these things wrong with the EMPI carb the idle screw had to small a rubber o ring . had to use a solex o ring . i had to lower the float by cuting off some on the tab that stops the float from going lower heres my jetting 125 air jet 155 main jet 30mm ventri 200 needle and seat 55 idle jet i set my mallory up to have 14 intal. 32 degs total all in by 2,400 rpm . the carb did not like intal. any lower than 14 degs . i ended useing 1 3/8 " header .i am running a 4 qt deep sump old school nos EMPI oil pump and filter alstrup you were not bull shitting about how well a single 34 pict carb would run on a 2180 motor . this motor shits and gets no bog . i was on the free way when rush hour was going on and i was staying with the other cars doing from 80 mph to 90 mph . this motor will go well over 100 mph if i wanted to it allso revs to 6,000 like right now i cant belive how well it runs with a 34 pict carb its mind blowing it is so smoth running i think all my porting work payed off big time and i just love that V 26 engle cam it kicks as now this motor is not as fast as a dual weber carb motor would be but its a real friendy street motor just wanted you to know how much i like it i cant waqit to take it to the drag strip in 25 days . i think this motor is going to surprize a lot of vw guys on how well it runs at the drag strip i have a bocar carb i am going to set up for 32mm venturi i am hooked on the 34 pict carbs . thanks for al the help spencerfvee
Alstrup wrote:
Good Spencer.
- The problem with the Empi 34´s was actually not the function of the carb, apart from the things you have found to be loose and the likes. More that the shaft bushings, or should we say the lack of such resulted in the carbs wearing out in notime flat.
Now for the record I have to say that I have not had a new Empi carb in my hands for at least 15 months. Things and quality may have changed. I know more people who claim that the Empi IDF´s are now at or above level with the Spanish IDF´s. (Not that the spanish are superior) But it - could - happen to be so that Empi actually makes something that works now. If that is the case, my hat is off for that.

T
yeoldeluke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: e Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
hi peppe when you used the 34 pict

my jetting was 150 main and 120 air, heads were stock ones ported, ported end castings, about 8:1 cr, engle 110 (with just a little bad idle), stock exhaust with 38mm tubing, stock heat exchanger with baffled 38mm tubing inside. it did easily 160kmh in a heavy SB convertible.

Peppe, I am curious about your exhaust. Is your exhaust a one off or modified stock? I Would like to hear more about it.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: any one running a 34 pict carb with bigger venturis Reply with quote

hi every one just a update i got the motor all together . its a 2,180cc v 26 engle cam scat rockers 1.2.1 82 crank 92mm cyls. scat rods.alum. bubble top case . i put some NOS old school parts on that were sitting around doing nothing. i cant wait to get the motor in my bug to see how the 34pict carb works with the 30mm ventura see pictures in gallery under parts/ accessories- bug spencerfvee
spencerfvee wrote:
if any one is running a 34pict carb with bigger venturis . i would like to know how big of a venturi you used. and how did it run and what jets you used .and how big was the motor you ran your 34 pict on . any info would be great guys dont for get feb 14 or you will be sleeping on the floor lol make sure you buy a power ball ticket its 325.million big ones lol spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi every one. we are haveing a heat wave today in ohio 49 degs .makeing a stock 34 pict carb with a 30mm venturi work on a vw motor has been a lot of fun .i cant wait to get the new motor into my 1971 bug . on my air cleaner . i have a 1971 cleaner. i cut the air horn back 4 " to help get more air into the carb. i all so left the pre. heater flap on the air cleaner . i did remove the second air flap . it resticked the air flow a lot . there was a edge on the air itake on the inside of the air cleaner where the air intake mates to the air cleaner houseing. i bent it over to smoth out the air flow to the air cleaner houseing . i now have pre heated air and more air to the carb . i was going to cut out the old oil bath filter and install a K&N air filter . but looks like to much work lol. if any one has installed a dry paper air filter into a stock air cleaner let me know how you did it and how it worked out . i know EMPI sold them in the 1960s but i think they only fit a 1967 air cleaner and i would not want to use one that old the paper filter breaks down over the years and falls apart thanks spencerfvee
spencerfvee wrote:
hi alstrup i am going to run manifold pre heat and pre heat on the air cleaner . i found a 1971 bug air cleaner at the shop . that is in great cond. with the bigger 30mm venturi and the carb needing more air. will the 1971 air cleaner. give the carb the air it needs for a 2180cc motor that has 40 x35 valve heads a engle V26 cam i do not plan on going over 5,500 rpm . i can rework the air cleaner to flow more air . i have done this in the past . i like haveing the 5 inch stack thats built into the stock air cleaner thanks spencerfvee
Alstrup wrote:
Around here I ALWAYS run manifold preheat. And on my std plus engines I also use airfilter preheat. If I dont I get the typical cold air problems in spring and fall.
The airfilter preheat can be left out if the customer agrees on being aware of that he most likely will experience "semi cold" problems on chilly mornings.

MOTOR, I do not really understand why you need such a large idle jet. Even on my 2007 100 hp I only have a 0,65 idle jet. But if it works it works.

T
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi alstrup i am going to run manifold pre heat and pre heat on the air cleaner . i found a 1971 bug air cleaner at the shop . that is in great cond. with the bigger 30mm venturi and the carb needing more air. will the 1971 air cleaner. give the carb the air it needs for a 2180cc motor that has 40 x35 valve heads a engle V26 cam i do not plan on going over 5,500 rpm . i can rework the air cleaner to flow more air . i have done this in the past . i like haveing the 5 inch stack thats built into the stock air cleaner thanks spencerfvee
Alstrup wrote:
Around here I ALWAYS run manifold preheat. And on my std plus engines I also use airfilter preheat. If I dont I get the typical cold air problems in spring and fall.
The airfilter preheat can be left out if the customer agrees on being aware of that he most likely will experience "semi cold" problems on chilly mornings.

MOTOR, I do not really understand why you need such a large idle jet. Even on my 2007 100 hp I only have a 0,65 idle jet. But if it works it works.

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: