Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions about aux battery and Yandina location
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Questions about aux battery and Yandina location Reply with quote

Below is where I want to put my aux battery. The spot is under the rear seat on the right side.

I have questions:

1. How do you others mount that sort of box to hold the battery in place?

2. Where do you mount the Yandina?

3. Is the ground good enough it I put the negative cable to the bolt that holds the Z bed to the rear wall?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hold the battery in place with a couple nylon straps secured with footman loops screwed into the wood of the bed box. Use the longest screws possible when mounting the footman loops to get the most security.

The Yandina can be mounted anywhere between the two batteries. Considering your chosen battery location, you might consider using the 1/4" post in the black plastic electrical box in the engine compartment as your "starter battery" connection. I have never done an install this way, but I have heard of others using this trick with good results.

Grounding to the Z-bed bolt should be fine. Be sure to clean up the connection as much as possible to get the best ground. The rear seat belt bolts are another possibility that I have used before for a good ground.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
You can hold the battery in place with a couple nylon straps secured with footman loops screwed into the wood of the bed box.

My Multivan does not have the wooden box structure a full Westy has.

I have carpet on top of the metal flooring.

Not sure what a good way to attack holding the battery in the case is.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To secure my battery in that same place I used 90 degree aluminum profile, surrounded the base of the battery making a frame for it, drilled holes to keep the aluminum in place. I think some places like West Marine sell also a little kit that includes a black strap like the one in your pic with one or two pass thru plastic brackets that you screw in place so that the strap keeps the battery down in place, I have one of those kits.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My box had no strap. My brother gave me the box some time ago (note the dirt). It is a Group 27 specific box. I purchased a 3 foot universal strap and clasp set for under $2 from the camping supply section at Walmart.

I *HATE* to drill holes and am considering replacing the plastic bulk head with a wooden one similar to what the full camper has. Then I can add holes for outlets and what ever else makes me happy.

Still thinking.....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: