Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Gas to 1.6 Turbo Diesel Conversion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Gas to 1.6 Turbo Diesel Conversion Reply with quote

I have used TheSamba for a lot of information in the past and I thought I would give back by posting about my 86 Turbo Diesel Vanagon Conversion.
The van was purchased from Ludwig from here on TheSamba (Thanks again for a great van)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The van started life with the 2.1 gas engine. I drove the van for about 3 months then the engine developed a rod knock and I decided an engine conversion was needed.
I purchased a German Vanagon 1.6 turbo diesel from the VWdiesel king

The diesel engine bolted to the automatic transmission with the help of the KEP adapter and a few minor modifications.

The engine was installed in a few hours. The wiring harness, with glowplug relay that came with the engine plugged in to the stock Vanagon wiring. I wired the glowplug light to be the OXY light on the dash. A high torque starter was needed to turn the diesel engine. I used a IMI 101N High Torque Starter.

Link

Link

Link

Some people have had a bad experience with VWdieselking http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/
but this engine has been great.
I did have to rebuild the turbo (mostly my fault because the wastgate was stuck shut and I kept boosting up to 20+ psi. It did make for a fast van but the turbo was not up to that high of boost levels and started to leak oil through the turbo) The first turbo rebuild shop, a shop that is recommended on some diesel forums, did a very poor job and the turbo lasted less than 100 miles. Northeastdiesel in Springfiled MO on the other hand did a great job of rebuilding the turbo and it has been trouble free for over 6000 miles. I also replaced the oil pump when the second rebuild turbo was installed to make sure that this was not the issue with the short life of the first rebuild but the original pump was in great shape and so was the engine. I did have one other issue with the engine and that was one of the injectors was cross threaded in the head and leaking compression. I removed the injector, cleaned up the threads and carefully reinstalled the injector and all was fine.

Here is a list of some details about the van and what I have done to it:
Replaced the front brakes and calipers, replaced the brake lines, replaced the rear brake shoes
New larger oil cooler
Replaced power steering lines with hydraulic hose
Installed boost gauge and EGT gauge pre-turbo
Tachometer operating off of the w terminal of the alternator using the stock tach rewired with the help of a post on vwdiesel.net
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=6477.0

Power steering bracket from Groschi a great German seller here on thesamba
The van has good power (very similar to the 2.1 gas) and is very comfortable to drive at 50 to 55 mph. Interstate speeds of 65 to 70 mph are in the upper rpm range, around 3800 to 4000 rpm. EGT max at 1300F and max boost (with blow off valve blocked and wastegate adjusted) about 16 psi max. Fuel mileage is around 24 to 26mpg
The automatic/Diesel combination is very nice, the turbo spools up quickly and the automatic just holds at about 3000 rpm up through the gears.
This picture shows driving on level ground at 65mph 3600 rpm boost is 9 psi and the EGT is 825F

This is full throttle up an incline 65 mph 3800 rpm, boost is 16 psi EGT is 1200F

I hope you have enjoyed the pictures and this helps some other van owners
More pictures are located at my Picasa page
https://picasaweb.google.com/116740220905306898456/Vanagon16TurboDieselConversion

Last edited by kendalwoolf on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Gas to 1.6 Turbo Diesel Conversion Reply with quote

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
airsweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
1985 1.9 WBX Westy
1986 2.1 WBX Syncro Westy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, why did you get the 1.6 and not the AAZ he sells for a little more? I am looking at both of these.
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater,

The 1.6td was a plug and play unit with the oil pan, intake, all the motor mounts and wiring on it. Also the price was lower. If the van was a diesel to start with and I had the conversion pieces already I would have looked closer at the AAZ.
Check out this post for some discussion on the subject, U.S. Diesel common sense: 1.6TD vs 1.9TD? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...highlight=
86 Vanagon, 1.8 Digifant http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513537
"but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! Cool

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
Nice work! Cool

Thanks.

Your project is looking good as well.
86 Vanagon, 1.8 Digifant http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513537
"but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:20
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: 1.6 Turbo engine Reply with quote

Wow! This is a nice project. Very good work too! I'm impressed with the auto tranny doing so well!

Amazingly, you are only about an hour's drive south of me.

Here is a link to my TDI transplant into an '84 Vanagon!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798

I have a 1.6 turbo engine and most of the goodies to install it in a Vanagon. When I get the TDI project finished I may look into doing a project similar to yours!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Van Trips Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from the Vanagon trips. The Vanagon has been on the road as a Diesel for 3 and a half years.

The first long trip was from Athens Ohio to Cleveland Ohio.

The Van made the trip fine, but a few days after the trip the turbo started using a lot of oil (20+ lbs of boost on the interstate was too much), so it was rebuilt.

Also installed the EGT gauge (pre turbo) to keep an eye on the temperature.

[/img]
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it truly "plug and play"? Did the engine carrier bars etc come with the motor? What about exhaust etc? Looks like it did in pics. Is the wiring harness really just a "plug in" to existing? So KEP adapter instead of traditional diesel bellhousing bolts right up (to automatic)? What "slight modifications" were needed? Did you have to buy "diesel king's" conversion kit ("non-synchro" version on his website I notice - $695). Seems like a no brainer if it's as simple as that. What am I missing here? Total cost around $1700-2300 plus labor? A decent WBX is more. This sounds to good to be True? No?
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan F wrote:
Is it truly "plug and play"? Did the engine carrier bars etc come with the motor? What about exhaust etc? Looks like it did in pics. Is the wiring harness really just a "plug in" to existing?

My engine came ready to bolt in (to a standard transmission that is). Compete with the carrier bars, coolant lines, air cleaner, exhaust (but the muffler was rusted out so I replaced it), etc... The wiring that came with the engine included the glow plug relay circuit and replaced the stock plug box in the back of the van and the signal/power plug plugged directly in.

I did have a hard time getting the power steering hooked up. I used original Vanagon Diesel brackets from Germany but making brackets could also work.

Also you have to find a Diesel filter mount, and some other small engine conversion parts, like coolant bracket and throttle cable. But if you have good mechanical skills and some tools it is quite easy.

Quote:
So KEP adapter instead of traditional diesel bellhousing bolts right up (to automatic)? What "slight modifications" were needed?

No removable bellhousing on the automatic so to mount in the stock position you have to use an adapter plate. The modifications that are made to the automatic bellhousing to attach the KEP adapter plate mainly involves grinding and drilling of a taped hole on the bellhousing to take a through bolt. A small angle grinder works great for this. I believe the instructions on where to grind come with the adapter plate and flexplate from KEP.

Quote:
Did you have to buy "diesel king's" conversion kit ("non-synchro" version on his website I notice - $695). Seems like a no brainer if it's as simple as that. What am I missing here? Total cost around $1700-2300 plus labor? A decent WBX is more. This sounds to good to be True? No?

Like I said above no need for the kit it all came on the engine because I bought the 1.6 turbo from a Vanagon.

*NOTE* Not all of the Vanagon turbo diesel engines that "diesel king" (quality german autoparts) sells are as complete as the one I bought. I would recommend contacting them to determine exactly what will come on the engine. I know some may be missing the coolant bottle, air cleaner and wiring may be cut not unplugged. And keep in mind these are used engines so some maintenance may be needed, Like the turbo rebuild and exhaust I had to do.

I find it to be a good conversion that has similar power to the waterboxer. As with any conversion I had some issues to work out but once those were sorted out it has been very reliable.
The diesel may hold you back on interstate cruising but that is not what I use this van for, it is mainly a short trip van and great around town in stop and go traffic.
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Great Smokey Mountains Reply with quote

The Diesel Vanagon made a Trip to the Great Smokey Mountains, All the way up to Clingmans Dome.

kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Trip to Grandfather Mountain NC Reply with quote

Diesel Vanagon made the trip to Grandfather Mountain NC

The Vanagon made the trip up the hills with no problems.

Also made a stop by the Sandblast Rally
No Volkswagens but a few Audi quattros

volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking at an 82 vanagon right down the road its diesel...i wanted to put this engine in my 86 syncro since the 2.1 is blown up.....your thread is very helpful in what im thinking but has anyone out there done that yet i was wondering what the syncro bell housing is like compared to the deisel..im getting the whole 82 so i will have everything
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vanagon diesel bellhousing should be interchangable between the diesel transmisson and the 4 speed air cooled, the 4 and 5 speed 2wd wbx, and the syncro transmission. If you have the diesel bellhousing, no need for an adapter plate. As stated, only the automatic has the bellhousing cast into the case and is not removable. This will lay the engine over at around 50 degrees.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need to either change the Syncro fuel tank or the Diesel bellhousing/starter for a KEP adapter.
the Vanagon Diesel starter interfers with Gas Syncro fuel tanks.
you should be able to sell the Diesel Bellhousing/starter/flywheel/clutch for near the KEP adapter pricing. then it's a bolt in situation.
*you would need the 83 Diesel engine carrier bars or modify your 82 units to accomodate the engine position in a syncro vs stock 82 diesel.(trans length is differant)
the Naturally aspirated Diesel will be a DEAD PIG in a Syncro, the Diesels had special gearing in the Trans to accomodate the 48hp.
it's only if you go 1.6TD or greater that you'll get any sort of driveability out of a Diesel Syncro conversion.. most go 1.9TDI with Mods.. but you can get a 1.6TD moded for more h, but possibly less reliability.. (ymmv)

volkswagatron wrote:
i am looking at an 82 vanagon right down the road its diesel...i wanted to put this engine in my 86 syncro since the 2.1 is blown up.....your thread is very helpful in what im thinking but has anyone out there done that yet i was wondering what the syncro bell housing is like compared to the deisel..im getting the whole 82 so i will have everything

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Intercooler Reply with quote

Have you considered installing an Intercooler? I'm guessing an Intercooler would improve performance a little.

Great project!
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkswagatron wrote:

I am glad that this was helpful. I believe the previous posts answer your questions, I am not a syncro expert.
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Intercooler Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Have you considered installing an Intercooler? I'm guessing an Intercooler would improve performance a little.

Great project!

I have thought about it but it is always a space issue in the engine compartment and finding a new air filter.
All my intake is stock Vanagon Turbo Diesel and fits very well in the van. May do it some day but not now.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Intercooler Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:

If by improving performance, you mean helping to reduce EGTs, then yes. But, unless you're increasing the fueling, the intercooler doesn't really add much power by itself. I think it would be fun to tweak a 1.6TD, which shouldn't be too difficult. I'd definitely add a pyrometer, no matter what you're planning on doing to the engine.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: