Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Gowesty Hookups, has anyone tried them?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: New Gowesty Hookups, has anyone tried them? Reply with quote

My hookups are pretty beat, not rust behind kitchen yet, want to keep it that way. Black plastic is cracking, time to get new. Should I get new delta Six stuff or new gowesty stuff?

Anyone used either and can recommend one over the other would be great.
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gowesty Hookups, has anyone tried them? Reply with quote

kuleinc wrote:
My hookups are pretty beat, not rust behind kitchen yet, want to keep it that way. Black plastic is cracking, time to get new. Should I get new delta Six stuff or new gowesty stuff?

Anyone used either and can recommend one over the other would be great.

I havn't got these yet but they look appealing to me as well. Especially the air hose one that I can use with my ARB compressor!
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just worried about water getting in and rust, simply replace the gaskets/seals with new ones (I think VanCafe sells them too) and tint the hookup boxes that are not cracked with Forever Black.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that most of our vendors are using Delta Six hook ups. Don't forget the foam gaskets.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
vwbeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the GW kit sitting in my house unopened right now..just as soon as I get home I will check them out!

I bought em because the ones on joel were in rough shape, cracked and i Broke he water fill last camp. I bought a new cover from busdept but the plastic was thin and much lighter weight, or the mold was thinner. Whatever, wasn't happy. Then I started sourcing used parts and had neglected to clean them paint and install when I saw the GW ones, and well..money was apparently burning a hole in my pocket so I pulled the trigger.

I'll compare and post pics

Chris
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
I'm pretty sure that most of our vendors are using Delta Six hook ups. Don't forget the foam gaskets.

Most, but not all.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23582&category_id=&category_parent_id=

I would definitely be interested in any first hand impressions of the new stuff.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:
Most, but not all.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23582&category_id=&category_parent_id=

I would definitely be interested in any first hand impressions of the new stuff.

Cool thanks for the link.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://theskylightguy.com/

I believe he bought the Delta six molds............his sky light is excellent quality.
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight
... for the 'Complete Set of Three"
GoWesty - $139.95
TheSkyLightGuy - $189.95

usually i expect dinner, drinks and wet kiss first
... "I'm just not that kind of girl"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Orngbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my GoWesty Kit on Friday. Can't wait to see it!

1984 Westy
1971 Westy
1974 Super Beetle
1963 Beetle, Beryl green
1964 Beetle project
1968 Bradley GT
President, Northern WI Volkswagen Club
www.nwvc.weebly.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Colonel_Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the gowesty ones, i'd say they are okay. The originals seemed better put together with less plastic then these. The key for the water tank is made from plastic too. I ended up snapping the key off in the lock first time i used it, bit of a PITA. I didnt see any better replacement options when i looked so these will have to do for me... other than the water tank key they serve their purpose fine.

Last edited by Colonel_Brown on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colonel_Brown wrote:
I have them, i'd say they are okay. .

Can you edit to clarify which ones - GoWesty or Delta-6 from skylight guy or other vendor?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you edit to clarify which ones - GoWesty or Delta-6 from skylight guy or other vendor?

Or the Delta 6 from GoWesty which until a short time ago they sold?

I am very intrigued by these--and Winston's need en banc replacement. If the plastic IS thicker and UV resistant, that would be wonderful. The spring latch is NOT my favorite design of Winston's sub-assemblies. I worry on the tank fill if you HAVE to use their hose gizmo, I prefer using my own narrow long hose that goes into the tank and doesn't allow any room for leaking. I also didn't mind locking the filler neck, I have the older version with the metal key and it was comforting.

I await developments!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened the box..

First blush..way way better than the delta6 remakes, much heavier duty and thick like the original..perhaps even thicker plastic. Hinge seems way better, with built in stops.

I will do a direct comparison and photos tomorrow, but so far I am pleased.

Chris
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news, since they are about the same price as the new delta six units. Mine are pretty cracked, and so far behind my kitchen has no rust, but it seems water will get in from the hookups soon, so I need to do SOMETHING, and just replacing the seals is not something I can do, the frames are cracking, maybe original, a lot on my van is...
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put the gw on two years ago they have held up well still look new comparable product everything matches up for on the backside of them for connections but as with the og's dont be too aggressive mounting them the screws supplied if i remember correctly are not the same size as og ones a little thinner , these smaller ones can pull through the plastic housing causing some issues so go gentle on the screws, i actually pulled them all off after initial mount and retained the old screws
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
i put the gw on two years ago they have held up well still look new comparable product everything matches up for on the backside of them for connections but as with the og's dont be too aggressive mounting them the screws supplied if i remember correctly are not the same size as og ones a little thinner , these smaller ones can pull through the plastic housing causing some issues so go gentle on the screws, i actually pulled them all off after initial mount and retained the old screws

If you put them on 2 years ago, they are the Delta 6 units, not the new GW designed ones.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think the GW ones said delta six on them , pretty sure they were repos/ at the time delta six was NLA they werent sold as a kit thru GW i had to piece meal them individually ..not sure what they are
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
i dont think the GW ones said delta six on them , pretty sure they were repos/ at the time delta six was NLA they werent sold as a kit thru GW i had to piece meal them individually ..not sure what they are

I don't believe the Delta Six units were branded as such in any conspicuous way. Whereas the new GoWesty hookups appear to have the GW logo right on the front.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics below -

first of all here is the comparison of them all front and back of cover.
2012 GoWesty, new Delta 6 cover and Original Delta 6

now side by side.
this is Original Delta 6, New Delta 6, and GoWesty 2012

note that in the above, the GoWesty appears the thinnest - HOWEVER - in the following pic you can see that the GW 2012 doesnt have the cutout that the Delta 6 does - so the GW is actually thicker across - it is solid and not hollow feeling

SO. the original Delta 6 and the new Delta 6 are extremely close in size and identical in design - but the new plastic is somewhat warped/rippled, and feels lighter-weight. I think you can see in the photos that it is also shinier, more glossy and less matte. i didnt put on the new delta 6 cover because it didnt match the old plastic at all - i know some of that is because it is weather-beaten, but i really feel like it is a DIFFERENT plastic.

The GW design, imho - feels more like the original in texture and is heavier as it doesnt have the undercut/hollow inside on the cover. the full enclosure feels sturdy, and seems well designed. time will tell.

already happy about the 3-way door catch..no more springing back enclosure! i'm happy! i bough the kit and will be getting them all installed this week.

chris [who is not affiliated with GW or Delta 6]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: