Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

alternator strap
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcampagnolo wrote:

I did have to grind a fair amount off the alternator to have it clear the alternator stand.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Without this grind-age, the pulley was waaay too far aft of the main pulley.
As I tightened the strap, it walked the alternator aft.

the stand in the picture is for a generator. a genuine vw stand has zundfolge 1432 cast on base where it goes on engine case. if the slot for cooling air to generator/alternator tin is not facing downwards the bearing will not get cooling air and bearing will die. geez you could have pmailed me to check it out for you. that is purpose for the club. help each other. Very Happy

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcampagnolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too good with asking for help (aside from The Samba). I'll work on that. Embarassed
The stand in the photo is being used as a donor for the oil-filler (straight for my new tin). I was wanting to make sure to NOT match that part # when I start to look for a German Alternator stand. Due to the curve being too steep.

113.101.211 <= is that 6Volt?
11.101.211.G <= is that 12 volt?

Does my Bentley have part # like this for reference?
When I replace the stand, do I need more than the metal crush baffle / gasket thing between the stand and case?
http://www.vintagewarehouse.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=275

I ordered new bearings for the stock Bosch and will rebuild that hopefully this weekend. I'll also put on the stock Alternator stand (I have an aftermarket one). I like the idea of German firing order on the base!

I'll also start checking into a new fan. (welded and balanced).
The backing plate was oriented correctly when I took it off and is set up properly now. (cooling vanes/vent down).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: