Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ACN super squishies
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Piston/valve interference doesn't happen at full lift.
don't go thinking if you have .100" less lift, that gives you .100" more clearance.

The proximity from piston to valve happens at relatively low lifts. Not a full lift.
So you might only gain .050" clearance with lower ratio rockers (not the full .100").

You really need to mock it up and use clay to be sure what clearance you have.

It' more duration dependent than lift.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Tom:

Good point, I will be checking clearances, just thinking out loud.

The 86B and W125 have similar durations as well, total and 50.

Only one way to know though. Looking forward to mock up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

As for reshaping the chamber. As I wrote earlier, I have found that shaping the pistons to the chamber instead of the other way around is better. Granted, I have access to CNC machines which simplifies things a lot. But if you are a little patient you can come a long way with a steady hand and a Dremel.

Since I run set #1 the first set of these pistons ever sold I didn't know that. At the time I clearanced the chamber. The piston would have been way easier to do. That engine was 86B, 114 lobe center, retarded 4 degrees at the gear, and hand clearanced chambers. 45cc chambers minus the 5cc dome volume, .040" deck. It was 12.8:1. I have since switched to 86A and .050" deck. Its a great setup just a little high strung. I want to build it milder now. I always run 91 octane.
Daily driver and has been together for many years.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Piston/valve interference doesn't happen at full lift.
don't go thinking if you have .100" less lift, that gives you .100" more clearance.

The proximity from piston to valve happens at relatively low lifts. Not a full lift.
So you might only gain .050" clearance with lower ratio rockers (not the full .100").

You really need to mock it up and use clay to be sure what clearance you have.

It' more duration dependent than lift.

Correct.

I have never built an engine with that wide LC, not even turbo. I always "stopped" at 112. 114 and then retarded on top of that is counterproductive wrt power, but good if you want to stretch the fuel. Not sure what it does temperaturewise to the heads. Maybe its ok since the ELC is still around 110.
The wildest SS engine I have built was a 2275 with a W130 cam set up at 108 LC. 1,25 rockers, good heads, 44/37,5 valves, IIRC 12-1 CR. 1 3/4" header and 48 Dells. It pulled 190 hp and 245 Nm torque with a power pulley. That was something like 13-14 years ago. And I was prince of the hood, for a few days. That engine was not high strung, in fact it pulled rather hard already from 2000 rpm. Anyway, I remember that I had to notch the dome approx 0,100" to get the needed clearance with the flycut those heads had. - Later we found out that notching the dome is counterproductive for the SS to take place. So least possible notching in the dome is to be desired.
In your case, a slightly milder cam, with slightly smaller valves, slightly less lift, and slightly less static compression, your set up may juuuust clear without notching. But yes, you need to do a mock up to make sure.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

I would think it would be best to cut mirrored/matching reliefs into the quench pads of the chamber instead of cutting the dome to fit the quench pads... you'd want the dome's shape to affect the direction the mixture mixing instead of having flat quench pads with a bump on the piston top, no? The dome's shape, and therefore the reshaped quench pad's shape adds a new "direction" of quench pad mixing in to the chamber- the quench pad isn't on a single plane then. That's maybe not the best way to explain but it should make sense if you've seen the pistons. Cutting the chamber would give all the benefit of the dome pushing the mixture into a smaller area, and add the benefit of having two quench pad planes pushing the mixture in different directions for better mixing.

If I'm correct in that line of thinking, then maybe these would be nearly as effective set up that way even with a valve pocket added, since the valve pocket won't affect the "new" quench pad area.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Couple lessons for me on the switch to 92mm SS pistons;

1) 92mm SS pistons have the same 35mm pin height as 94mm pistons. I assumed (even though John’s add is clear) they had a 34mm pin height. Not a huge deal, but just info for the next guy.

2) 92mm Thickwall AA cylinders are 114mm in length from seat surface to top, 2mm longer than standard 90.5 cylinders

3) I switched to 5.4 h-beam rods (78.8 crank) which meant I need to trim the cylinders or deck the case. I chose to do both, .010” trim at case deck, and .046” from the cylinder base. This provides a .040” deck height with no shims. My aluminum case measured 100mm from crank centerline to case deck before cutting.

I have also switched from Panchitos to Tim’s Stage 2 heads with 55cc chambers.

Cam will be a Web 86A on 112 LC’s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Couple lessons for me on the switch to 92mm SS pistons;

1) 92mm SS pistons have the same 35mm pin height as 94mm pistons. I assumed (even though John’s add is clear) they had a 34mm pin height. Not a huge deal, but just info for the next guy.

2) 92mm Thickwall AA cylinders are 114mm in length from seat surface to top, 2mm longer than standard 90.5 cylinders

3) I switched to 5.4 h-beam rods (78.8 crank) which meant I need to trim the cylinders or deck the case. I chose to do both, .010” trim at case deck, and .046” from the cylinder base. This provides a .040” deck height with no shims. My aluminum case measured 100mm from crank centerline to case deck before cutting.

I have also switched from Panchitos to Tim’s Stage 2 heads with 55cc chambers.

Cam will be a Web 86A on 112 LC’s.

And web just emailed me, it is on it's way.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

I bit of an update and as a reminder, my heads are Tim’s Stage 2, with the chambers cut to 55cc.

Current deck is .040” and after claying the pistons to check chamber clearance, I was basically at zero clearance in a few spots. I chose to mill the domed part of the piston, because I didn’t want to hand clearance my chambers. My neither has a nice mill and we trimmed the dome at the perimeter where it was tightest. At first I clearanced for .040” clearance and then chickened out and went to .060”. These were relatively minor cuts, probably a total of .2cc per piston.

With that set, I moved to check valve to piston clearance. I have two cams, the Web86a on 112 LC’s and a CB2288 (KCool on 112 LC’s.

I performed this with both clay and a dial indicator. The Web86a has .123” clearance on the intake valve and the 2288 has .115”

This is with 1.5 rockers. I have .575” lift with the 2288

I may increase my deck to .050” to obtain more cushion...still undecided

.040” is 10.1 CR and .050” is 9.8 CR

Last edited by txoval on Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Also, want to thank the following for your assistance getting to this point:

John@ACN, thank you for answering my emails and questions!

Steve, thank for responding to my PM’s on your experience with the SS pistons

Torben, thank you for answering my PM’s and helping with my head and cam selections

Dan, thank for you taking my calls and helping with the cam, rockers, and pushrods (forthcoming)

Tabari, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me, machining my case and pistons to achieve a .040” deck with my 78.8 crank and 5.4 rods. You saved my bacon on the case/cylinder measurements.

Will close up the short block this week and the top end will follow shortly
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

I would definitely do whatever you need to do to keep the deck tight and compression high...thats the whole point of running squishes.

all the guys successfully running squishes run REALLY high compression in NA applications (as well as forced).
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Sled, I had the conversation with John because I was confused with every SS build I read about. Everyone had wide LC’s (114 and 115) and were retarding the cams 4 degrees. Yet, when I asked John for cam advice he would always say run them straight up on 108 LC’s.

He told me in the beginning everyone, including him was trying to see how far they could go with compression, which led to super tight decks and small combustion chambers. This required the cams above and had others notching their pistons for valve clearance.

He said since then, he has found that the benefits of the pistons are there without going to these extremes.

I had to trim the piston domes because my chambers do not match original VW chambers, which is what the pistons were designed around.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

shim it and let 'er rip!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Well, crazy me is looking at a Web 252 Cam as well.

If I get similar valve clearance with it, I’ll probably leave it at .040”
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Well, crazy me is looking at a Web 252 Cam as well.

If I get similar valve clearance with it, I’ll probably leave it at .040”

Twisted Evil
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

I second that smiling devil
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

It would make more sense if the rockers were progressive ratio, and IMO they should be.
I think once Mr. Ruddock realizes this, he will want to make some progressive rockers to match his camshaft philosophy. It is all that is missing
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

I got 10.5 out of mine with an 86b retarded 2 degrees. Its a bit close on the intakes but the valve is chasing the piston. Exhaust are miles away. Haven’t run it yet. Thought about shaving the dome a bit but figured thats the whole point of them.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

What LC for the 86b?

For me, I was either going to hand curve the chambers or neatly machine the piston. I chose the piston because I could hold it easily in the mill and precisely cut what was needed. If I posted pictures of the pistons, you would be be able to tell without hold a non-machined to me next to it
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Going with the 252 on 110 LC’s

Having to change valves springs too
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Mine is 108lc. I have 44 mm valves, 42 would give me a lot more clearance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: