Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare 1978 Champange Edition II Peach Red Metallic?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
SupBeat74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Rare 1978 Champange Edition II Peach Red Metallic? Reply with quote

Hello Guys;

I need some help.

I have a 1978 Super Beetle that I'm thinking about selling due to unexpected family circumstances.
I think my SB is a 1978 Champagne Edition II (Peach Red Metallic), but don't know for sure.

I hadn't given much thought to its rarity until I went looking for some touch up paint to take care of a few minor rock chips and the paint was described as Peach Red Metallic.

This car has been garage-kept virtually all of its life and its been basically a Sunday-Driver. I believe I may be only the 3rd owner (but I'm not sure). The original Fuel Injection is still in and runs like a champ. Seems that only 272 Champagne Edition II were ever made in 1978, so I'm really interested to know if it is a CE II or not.

I've done some looking around on the internet and I think it is a Champagne Edition II, but
Question can someone please tell me if it is or not?

Question Are there some things that I should see that are a sure-shot sign that it is?

Wink Thank you in advance.

I snapped a couple of quick pics for this post.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry for the quality of the close-up. It reads "LE3Y"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a German-English translator program. Spoiler Alert: Rot is red and met is, well, I don't want to ruin all the fun. Very Happy

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you are looking for because it appears that you have already answered your own question. It is a CI2 edition. Where did you get the 272 number? The peach red metallic wasn't as popular as the ancona blue metallic so that might make it considered "rare". Value will be in the eye of the buyer. In the later years VW had a habit of making "special editions" pretty much every year. If the car is a mint low mileage [under 5000 miles] car, it may be worth a bit more to a collector, but to most it's just another '78 convertible in a funny red color.

If you are looking for a price for it, look at other convertibles in your area in similar condition and price it accordingly. You might be able to get an extra $500-$1000 because if it's uniqueness if you hold out for the right buyer. Good luck.

Another avenue you may take is to market it outside the VW world. Pick up some of the marketing pieces off e-bay to go along with it and place an ad in Hemmings with all the info that makes it "special." You might be able to attract less savy buyers with a bigger budget than those on sites like theSamba.

Good Luck

-jeffrey

Last edited by jhicken on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got the number from a Barett Jackson auction. The one on BJ went for $30k, but that was a different car and during a much different economy. I've seen them listed from $11-19k over the past seven years.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder where BJ got that number. I've never heard any "definitive" numbers from the factory. There were lots of SE Beetles toward the end of their run.

-jeffrey
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Car! Looks to be in great shape.
THINGONER
Samba Member

The colors growing on me

Last edited by THINGONER on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

I asked them repeatedly for verification of that number, knowing there were not good records. Never got an answer, but then again, BJ is generally regarded as the most credible of the high end auction houses, so perhaps. Other than mine, I've never seen one first hand.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
SupBeat74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the super quick responses.

All the tid-bits of information I ran into pointed to it being a CE II, but what I was hoping to find out (from you fellas in the-know) was if the Peach Red Metallic paint had been put out by VW in other years/editions or was it only reserved for the 1978 CE II.
If the PR Metallic paint was only unique to the 1978 CE II (which it seems it was), then, according to the paint sticker in the pic, that would certainly make it a CE II for sure.
That's great.

Thank you so much for the info, guys.

"jhicken" Thank you for the added information and advice. I really appreciate it.

"DeMinimis" Thank you for chiming in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a one year only color. One of these days, I'll put mine back together, but I've been busy.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Super Beetle Convertible colour. Dang if you can keep it keep but if you sell please sell it to someone whom will not butcher it all up.
My 2001 GMC is a one year only color Sunset Orange.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
SupBeat74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again fellas;

Well, It's been a hard decision to sell or not to sell my Original CEII, but the time has come to sell it. I just don't drive it enough and feel it would make a nice addition to a collector or someone who really appreciates the beauty and history of this automobile.

Since my original post, this beauty has continued to be garage-kept and been driven only ~200 miles to some local and surrounding area car shows. It's a real attention getter.

I have a couple of questions:
Arrow A. Since I know that most things dealing with classic VW's is "What it's worth to the buyer", I wondering: What would be a good asking BASE LINE PRICE for a nice CEII? I did read DiMinimis mention 11K - 19K, but since he mentioned a different economy I was wondering what you all thought.
I also read jhicken mention $500-$1000 over similar verts in my area, but here in TX (not to disparage anyone) folks seem to only want the $1500. bug. Since I think CEII's may have nationwide appeal, the pricing may be different.
Arrow B. Are auto auctioneers or ebay a good place to sell it?
Guess what I'm looking for is someone who may have some personal experience with Hemmings or ebay (I've never sold a car on either).

Any and all opinions/suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

I will post some additional pics soon. But everything on this gem is original (has new tires and the recently replaced convertible top) with only a few imperfections that can very easily be brought to original standards.
The original upholstery is in VERY GOOD condition with only 2 very minor cracks. The original Dash board is immaculate. The original clock's red seconds hand runs but the clock does not keep time well. Original Owner's Manual in "Like new" condition. Fuel injection runs like a champ. Recently replaced vinyl top (white - not sand color). Convertible top mechanism in absolute perfect condition. Paint is in great shape, but does have some rock dings on the hood and some imperfections - however I was told by the professional paint shop that the paint can nowadays be absolutely perfectly matched via computer aided matching.

In advance, thank you for anyone's input. Please feel free to ask any questions.
kreitzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: interested Reply with quote

I had a new one, in '78 off the showroom floor. Traded when I had children, not too smart. Would love to own another one. Let me know what you decide please. Thanks.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see low mileage [less than 5000] mile cars sell in the 25k range often. But that is for a pristine, all original car. Unfortunately yours isn't. Although the white top might look better to some, it would be valued less to a collector [knock off $2500-$4500]. A few "minor cracks" in the interior, just says that they will become worse with normal use. Knock off another 1-2k to have the interior replaced/repaired. The few shots you posted of the car look good. If properly detailed, including engine and trunk. I think that you could comfortably ask 15k for the car. As I mentioned before, advertise it in Hemmings and list it on e-bay. If you go with a live auction, factor in the fees they charge and add it to your reserve. Oldbug.com might also be a good place to list it. They get a lot of traffic from folks with deep pockets. After it is well detailed, take a lot of pictures with good lighting and a real camera [not a phone camera] so you can e-mail them to potential buyers. List it here in on the samba as well, there are a few folks here that know the value of these cars.

To get the most out if the car, the best thing you can do is have the whole care professionally detailed. Not at your local car wash for $150, find a local expert who'll do it right. One who will detail it properly and wont spray clear paint over your engine to make it look "nice." A well detailed car, inside and out, will bring in the most and sell it the fastest.

I really don't believe the pedigree will bring in that much more value, I think a triple white or triple black would sell for similar money. However, I believe it will help justify paying a premium price. You could ask a couple grand more and you may get it. It may take a little longer and you may have to weed through a lot of sellers that may try to chew you down a bit, but at 15k, it's not a steal, but it's not over priced.

You could detail it up well and consign it to someone like Barrett Jackson or Mecum, put a 25k reserve any maybe get lucky. A BJ auction sold a $130k bus for $200k not to long ago, so you never know. The often attract a lot of folks with more money than brains. Just remember, the fees, and shipping to a live auction can add up, and if it doesn't sell, I think you still have to pay something.

good luck.

-jeffrey
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$16k if it's worth a nickel.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though your paint label is blurry, the first word appears to be "pfirsich--- met" which is German for "peach--- met(allic)". If the last few letters in the first word are indeed "rot" (rhymes with "wrote") then it is indeed "red".

There was a similar car at the big (300+ cars!) AirCooled Gathering in Flanders NJ yesterday. An older couple was driving it, so it may have been the original owners.
SupBeat74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for responding, guys.
Your responses have really given me a great starting point. I really appreciate it.

Quick update.
I've been ridiculously busy at work for the past month, but will get the AD together for the advertizing sites soon. As its been suggested, advertizing this CE II will take more than just a quick wash and a few pics to really showcase its beautiful condition.
Looking forward to doing it justice in the upcoming AD.
Will give you guys a heads-up on this thread when the AD is up.

Hey "kreitzel", I sent you a PM (Private message) - please check your TheSamba mailbox/messages.
I also responded to a couple of other PM inquiries.
Thanks for the interest.
akcapsamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you educate a potential buyer to appreciate your CEII
will go a long way toward determining how much you can sell it for...
as will a clean car and photography that tells a compelling story.

I love how enthusiasts here ferret out the little known facts about rare
models -- as the German's call them, the Sondermodelle -- and by doing so lift
them from relative obscurity: Love Bugs, Wild Westerners, treasured Model 110's...
and now the ultra-rare CEII convertible in LE3Y Pfirsichrot Metallic!

Good Luck!

PS, Did you see what this forum member found under the rear luggage area carpet:

Wow.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=322137&highlight=pfirsichrot
SupBeat74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone;

I want to, once again, thank everyone who has chimed in. I appreciate all input, advice, pointers, etc.

I friend of mine asked me to take the CE II to a VW show this past Sunday and it gave me the opportunity to take some pictures of the car.

I just posted all the pics at my Google account and wanted the followers of this thread to be the first to see the pics and (if interested) be the first to make an offer.

I will list the CE II in the classifieds in a few days.

Below is the link.
FOR SALE - 1978 The Limited Champagne Edition II
Not perfect, but a beautiful automobile nonetheless.
MAKE OFFER Wink
https://plus.google.com/photos/104147526227554379610/albums/5802338300033010289
Please feel free to PM me with any questions.
Thanks for looking. Wink
SupBeat74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All;

Posted the CEII here (thesamba classifieds) about a week ago to give fellow VW enthusiasts first look at it. "Thank you" to all who've taken a peek at the classified AD.
Since some of you asked to keep you all posted, I've just listed the CEII on ebay.
Please note I deleted thesamba classified AD and listed it on thesamba EBAY ADs.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1383258

Arrow Opening bid: $9,900. NO RESERVE!
Bidding ends: Nov 12, 2012 at 06:30:21 PST

Below is the direct link to the EBAY AUCTION for anyone interested in bidding or simply following the sale of this RARE VW.
Exclamation http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Beetle-C...27cc8d4c6b

Thank you for all the interest. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: