Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" Tire Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msewalson wrote:
I'm running BFG's 195/75/14. I have no complaints, no problems in the snow, mud and rain. Some have commented about the noise but I haven't really noticed it.

Matt

I'm putting these on my van tomorrow.

CHA-CHING!! Shocked

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:
msewalson wrote:
I'm running BFG's 195/75/14. I have no complaints, no problems in the snow, mud and rain. Some have commented about the noise but I haven't really noticed it.

Matt

CHA-CHING!! Shocked

Yes, CHA-CHING. Are you getting a set of 4 or 5?
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msewalson wrote:
vermontgirl wrote:
msewalson wrote:

Matt

CHA-CHING!! :shock:

If you're considering those, I would seriously recommend you consider Firestone Destination AT's in 225 70r14:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A%2FT
They only work with alloys, but I have them on my 91Westy - and I positively love them. They replaced a set of Kumho Solus 205/70/r14- which are supposed to meet Westy profile but really don't. The Destinations have a fat profile and are nicely grippy, good offroad tread, great in the rain and mud (so far) and similar radius to stock - so little/no power loss and way quieter than the BFG's. AND they meet the load criteria for a Westy and are less $$ than the BFG's.
I got a set of 4 at the firestone dealer installed/mounted for less than $500. I had a set of BFG's on my Syncro - and they're great. But good lord are they expensive. As long as I'm running stock 14 inch alloys, and as long as Firestone makes this tire, I'll be buying it. I've also been driving my sister's 85 Westy with stock steelies and the Ra08's. Never again will I put such small tires on a big westy. I don't care if they meet the load rating, the damn thing gets blown all over the road. My two cents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawna82 wrote:
And i'm thrifty, but dont want to be too cheap when it comes to important stuff... i live in Long Beach, CA.. . typical beach weather, obviously never any snow, dont really plan on driving anywhere in the snow, no mud, might come across some in the future, some rain, probably rain on the road later on when i can venture out more (when Vanny is more ready..)...

Sounds like an ideal application for the Hankooks in the 185 or 195 width. Where I got mine (now on my 2nd set):

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Orde...p;dsco=135

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Orde...p;dsco=135
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
msewalson wrote:
vermontgirl wrote:
msewalson wrote:

Matt

CHA-CHING!! Shocked

If you're considering those, I would seriously recommend you consider Firestone Destination AT's in 225 70r14:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A%2FT
They only work with alloys, but I have them on my 91Westy - and I positively love them. They replaced a set of Kumho Solus 205/70/r14- which are supposed to meet Westy profile but really don't. The Destinations have a fat profile and are nicely grippy, good offroad tread, great in the rain and mud (so far) and similar radius to stock - so little/no power loss and way quieter than the BFG's. AND they meet the load criteria for a Westy and are less $$ than the BFG's.
I got a set of 4 at the firestone dealer installed/mounted for less than $500. I had a set of BFG's on my Syncro - and they're great. But good lord are they expensive. As long as I'm running stock 14 inch alloys, and as long as Firestone makes this tire, I'll be buying it. I've also been driving my sister's 85 Westy with stock steelies and the Ra08's. Never again will I put such small tires on a big westy. I don't care if they meet the load rating, the damn thing gets blown all over the road. My two cents.

Ok. So I went to this tire guy that a lot of VW mechanics in Portland send their customer to. He told me over and over that this specific tire is NOT rated for a vanagon. I've checked all the specs but I have no idea what he is talking about. I don't think he's the kind of guy who just wants to make an extra buck. Last time I saw him he sold me 4 Hancooks for $400. He reiterated over and over that this tire is not safe for my van.

??

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:
dixoncj wrote:
msewalson wrote:
vermontgirl wrote:
msewalson wrote:

Matt

CHA-CHING!! :shock:

Ok. So I went to this tire guy that a lot of VW mechanics in Portland send their customer to. He told me over and over that this specific tire is NOT rated for a vanagon. I've checked all the specs but I have no idea what he is talking about. I don't think he's the kind of guy who just wants to make an extra buck. Last time I saw him he sold me 4 Hancooks for $400. He reiterated over and over that this tire is not safe for my van.

??

This tire IS ABSOLUTELY correctly rated for a Vanagon. I did my research. It has a 98S rating, is 6 ply sidewalls (correct) and has a max load of 1675 per tire at 44PSI. All these MEET criteria for a Westfalia. The only reason it will not work is if you have steel as opposed to alloy wheels. Steelies are too narrow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
This tire IS ABSOLUTELY correctly rated for a Vanagon. I did my research. It has a 98S rating, is 6 ply sidewalls (correct) and has a max load of 1675 per tire at 44PSI. All these MEET criteria for a Westfalia.

Is it an issue that they cannot be inflated to the recommended pressure for the Westy?
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
dixoncj wrote:
This tire IS ABSOLUTELY correctly rated for a Vanagon. I did my research. It has a 98S rating, is 6 ply sidewalls (correct) and has a max load of 1675 per tire at 44PSI. All these MEET criteria for a Westfalia.

Is it an issue that they cannot be inflated to the recommended pressure for the Westy?

44PSI is high enough pressure for a Westy. At least it is according to the tire placard VW put in my door.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
44PSI is high enough pressure for a Westy. At least it is according to the tire placard VW put in my door.

The placard was placed about 25 years ago and likely for Euro driving.

All the tires presented will likely work for the OP for town, short commuting and day-tripping.

For road-trips of distance under load, tin-top or westy, I'd recommend a sidewall height of no higher than 65, and a sidewall psi much greater than 44 which is of concern ... this has to do with handling, especially fierce crosswinds. The vanagon is a sail.

Tires are something people shouldn't go cheap on -- it's a premiere safety issue -- but get the ones that fit your driving style and needs. Not everyone needs to buy the most expensive but I sure wouldn't get "maybe it'll work" ones.

75 sidewall on 14" rims ... you're gonna sail like a clipper ship unless you stay close to the 'hood. Or if you put on some Addco anti-sway bars.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
dixoncj wrote:

All the tires presented will likely work for the OP for town, short commuting and day-tripping.

For road-trips of distance under load, tin-top or westy, I'd recommend a sidewall height of no higher than 65, and a sidewall psi much greater than 44 which is of concern ... this has to do with handling, especially fierce crosswinds. The vanagon is a sail.

Tires are something people shouldn't go cheap on -- it's a premiere safety issue -- but get the ones that fit your driving style and needs. Not everyone needs to buy the most expensive but I sure wouldn't get "maybe it'll work" ones.

75 sidewall on 14" rims ... you're gonna sail like a clipper ship unless you stay close to the 'hood. Or if you put on some Addco anti-sway bars.

Bob - I have been a Westy owner since 1999 - two Syncros and three 2wd's. These are not "maybe it'll work tires". They are hands-down, the best tires I have ever driven a Westy on the highway with. Rock solid, track straight and very, very little sway in crosswinds. They meet the criteria required for Westy's. They are low profile. They have a fat contact patch. I've taken long trips with them. They flat out drive damn nice.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
dixoncj wrote:

Ok.. this makes me feel better. I'm mos def not sticking to the 'hood (not sure about the OP). I trust this tire guy which is why I'm going with the BFG's.

childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msewalson wrote:
vermontgirl wrote:
msewalson wrote:

Matt

CHA-CHING!! Shocked

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Bob - I have been a Westy owner since 1999 - two Syncros and three 2wd's. These are not "maybe it'll work tires". They are hands-down, the best tires I have ever driven a Westy on the highway with. Rock solid, track straight and very, very little sway in crosswinds. They meet the criteria required for Westy's. They are low profile. They have a fat contact patch. I've taken long trips with them. They flat out drive damn nice.

I know nothing about this Firestone Destination which I suspect is a new entry ? I haven't heard/seen it on a vanagon yet so haven't had feedback. Anyway ... any real-life experience with it would be very helpful to many. Maybe it's a 'new dawn' for 14" tire road grippers in crosswinds. The only concern I had was the 44 psi.

I know a lot about all the other brands mentioned as I've used them all a lot. I still have 14" BFG's on a sinka ... they won't die, but then the sinka doesn't go on expedition. I have 14" Dunlops (NLA) on a doka ... look cool as hell but on a summer trip between Pdx and Coeur D'Alene, ID ... a screamer in the winds. Two other rigs use nokians ... 15" and 16" respectively ... road-trippers.

Cheers
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:
Ok.. this makes me feel better. I'm mos def not sticking to the 'hood (not sure about the OP). I trust this tire guy which is why I'm going with the BFG's.

If you're still in the Pdx area, perhaps ask the tire guy if you can take a test run down the Columbia Gorge when windy before purchase ? It might be a stretch for him to concede....

I've used BFG's, both 14" and 15", extensively for decades in every weather and wind application. So have numerous friends and acquaintances. I personally didn't like the handling in high winds.

I have two sets of mounted 15" BFG's for back/off-roading (in addition to the 14" on the sinka). Super tough tire ... one favorite of the syncroists off-roading.

I used to trust tire salespeople. I don't anymore even if they're extremely nice. Nothing personal. Most if any really knew nothing about my vanagons and their unique road handling requirements.

I say all this not to convince you not to go with BFG's ... just to arm you with another perspective so you and anyone else goes in with their eyes wide-open. I believe you've already read on another thread or two what the BFG excels at and what it definitely doesn't.

Cheers
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This tire IS ABSOLUTELY correctly rated for a Vanagon. I did my research. It has a 98S rating, is 6 ply sidewalls (correct) and has a max load of 1675 per tire at 44PSI. All these MEET criteria for a Westfalia. The only reason it will not work is if you have steel as opposed to alloy wheels. Steelies are too narrow.

Incorrect. Standard Load (SL) "car tires" tires load ratings are derated 9% by Federal Law when used on a vehicle like this. That is why the tire dealer correctly told you they were inadequate.

1675/1.10 = 1522 pounds which is less than what is required by the vehicle manufacturer. Those would actually not pass safety inspection in this state.

That being said they are pretty close, look pretty rugged, and are pretty close to the stock circumference. Better than most SL tires I have seen and driven on. Choose wisely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Quote:

Incorrect. Standard Load (SL) "car tires" tires load ratings are derated 9% by Federal Law when used on a vehicle like this. That is why the tire dealer correctly told you they were inadequate.

1675/1.10 = 1522 pounds which is less than what is required by the vehicle manufacturer. Those would actually not pass safety inspection in this state.

That being said they are pretty close, look pretty rugged, and are pretty close to the stock circumference. Better than most SL tires I have seen and driven on. Choose wisely.

I'm no tire expert - I'll admit that. But I think the tire is so damn close to spec that the argument is about moot.
Let's take a look at the Roadhaus Tire Specs:
Vanagon & Camper
1984-1991

185R14C 6PR
- Min Load Index 99
- Max Load 1710 lbs
- Min Load Range C
- Max Inflation 55 psi

*205/70R14 97R
- Min Load Index 97
- Max Load 1580 lbs
- Max Inflation 40 psi
* Reinforced Sidewall Passenger car tire

Then the Firestones. 225-70R14
Load index: 98S
Max Inflation: 1522 vs 1580(minimum per Roadhaus specs)
Max Inflation: 44PSI
Reinforced 6ply sidewall.

The BFG 195 AT tire exceeds spec on everything. The 225 Firestone exceeds on load index and max inflation versus the 'max' rating for a passenger tire per Vanagon/Westy specs. Let's look at the size of a 205-70 versus a 225-70.

205-70
- sidewall height 5.6 inches
- radius 12.6 inches
- diameter 25.3 inches
-circumference 79.5 inches

225-70
-sidewall: 6.2 inches
-radius 13.2
-diameter 26.4
-circumference 82.9

If you look at the circumference, the 205 is 95 percent as big as the 225. That means the 225 has more area to carry/displace the weight of the van. I'm no tire guru - and don't claim to know jack in this area - but I'm curious as to whether or not that increased size also results in greater strength - because the tire has more area to carry the load.
Just more fuel to the argument.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP; I'll let you know how the BFG's work out for me Smile

I'll be putting them on today and in a couple of weeks driving 3,500 miles and then about the same again this fall. I'll be on pavement, dirt, snow and sand. From what I hear this tire gums up in mud so will do my best to avoid it. It sounds like the Nokian might be better for long-distance highway driving but I pretty much had to flip a coin here and it's too late to turn back.

dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:
To the OP; I'll let you know how the BFG's work out for me :)

I'll be putting them on today and in a couple of weeks driving 3,500 miles and then about the same again this fall. I'll be on pavement, dirt, snow and sand. From what I hear this tire gums up in mud so will do my best to avoid it. It sounds like the Nokian might be better for long-distance highway driving but I pretty much had to flip a coin here and it's too late to turn back.

The BFG's are a most excellent all-around tire. If you end up unhappy with them, you'll just need to sell your van ; )
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

X2 Blue Bay Bus The BFG's are a most excellent all-around tire. If you end up unhappy with them, you'll just need to sell your van ; ) Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.

The BFGs meet or exceed all of the requirments.

The Firestones do not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 31

Jump to: