Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" Tire Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Yokohama Y356 load range D 185/14 or LT195-75/r14

Although correctly rated, the Y356's suck.

--- Vredestein Comtrac 185-80/r14 195-80/r14 --- Now we're talking, if C-rated.

--- Nexen SV820 185/14 / Hankook Vantra LT RA18 185/14 / Nankang CW25 185/14 --- Three sucks.

--- Nokian cLine 185/R14C 102/100S --- As good as it gets. I've used Nokian's for more than 3 decades, before that, it was Vredesteins. When I first got turned on to them, I bought them directly from the importer, University Tire, and their sales guy, Lou Pirimba (how could you forget that name), would invoice me at wholesale.

Originally, I'd mount the Hakka's on my Syncro for winter, then swap them out for summer tires in the spring. Whenever that got old, I started to leave the Hakka's on year round and they performed admirably (good wear, handling and wet traction).

When Nokian (used to be Nokia causing some confusion) established a national presence, they also thinned out their part numbers and their offerings in size 185R14C became limited. Then, Lou Pirimba got fired and my wholesale pricing went bye-bye.

"I got a set of the Nokians." --- You did a good thing, Dave.

Richie (near The Burgh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
Or what about the Hankook Vantra LT (RA18)? I didn't like the RA08 and am wondering if these are much better.

The RA18s are a much better tire. A good solution to the 195x14 tire question. Good drivability, no "flat spots" after being parked a few days, silent and good wet weather traction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

the Goodyear Wrangler AT Radial Tire - 195/75R14C are still available and a helluva tough tire used on postal delivery vans.. but carry a high $$ too..
must be part of the free market price gouging of a specialized application.
this is the best price I've seen
https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Wrangler-AT-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MWYVCI6

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the Goodyear Wrangler AT Radial Tire - 195/75R14C are still available and a helluva tough tire used on postal delivery vans.. but carry a high $$ too..
must be part of the free market price gouging of a specialized application.
this is the best price I've seen
https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Wrangler-AT-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MWYVCI6

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0

F*ck those are expensive!!! So glad I went with the 16" wheels and tires.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
childofthewind wrote:
Or what about the Hankook Vantra LT (RA18)? I didn't like the RA08 and am wondering if these are much better.

The RA18s are a much better tire. A good solution to the 195x14 tire question. Good drivability, no "flat spots" after being parked a few days, silent and good wet weather traction.

[re: stock 14" steelies]...

I'll be getting into new tires this spring & so the questions start popping up...

I've run the Hankook RA-08's for years & have been pretty happy with them
<except> for a few times out in the hinterlands spinning in wet grass & mud... Rolling Eyes

Anyone with insight to how the new RA18's might compare in these conditions?

If I could find a tire with some better off-road grip than the RA08's but not
much noisier on the highway I'd be all in & literally a very happy camper. Cool

TIA...

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

hi Dave- i just put a set of 185R14 RA18s on my '87 Westy. they're fine but the tread is nothing for snow and ice.

there was not a single one in the country but i think the slow boat has arrived and the Vredestein Comtrac is back in the US. IdahoDoug swears by them and i really wanted to buy those but they were nada.

see if you can find the Comtracs. i'll live vicariously thru you.

-dan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Thanks, Doug...

I'm not concerned with ice/snow as I garage the van from Nov-March. I've only had the van out
for a few days one December when my DD was finally killed after hitting it's fourth deer... Shocked Twisted Evil

So excited to hear about the VedComs! I'd given up on those after looking through recent tire
posts, but I'm definitely interested and the're probably my first choice even before the RA18's...

Hopefully I can hook up with the VedCom's soon or later this spring! Cool Cool Cool

- Dave

PS: Anyone have a current link for the Comtrac's with a good price...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Vredstein discontinued the 14" sizes. They were no longer listed on Vredstein site when I last checked and show disc on several tire sites for all 14" sizes.

Does someone have a link to left over stock?
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

1000 Mile Report on General Grabber AT2 27X8.5X14 R LT
Great Tire! Low noise, great grip, good replacement for BFG's!
As good as BFG's in mud, snow, ice and rain. Good with 60MPH side winds!
Highly recommend!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Here is my 2500 mile report of the General Grabber AT2 27X8.5X14 R LT.

The plus is their grip and traction. Portland, OR suddenly has a few inches of snow on the road (and the whole city shuts down) but I had much better traction getting around than I did with my BFGoodrich ATs.

They do feel a bit... spongy, or something. I feel a little less in control turning corners or in high winds than with the BFG AT.

The other thing - and this is minor but it's MOS DEF noticeable is a lot of rocks get stuck in the tread on off-road. When I transition to black top and I'm cruising down the road the rocks dislodge and hit the top of the wheel well (or other various places beneath me) and it always scares the living sh*t out of me. Shocked

Wish there were a few more better options for 14 in. but these are just fine for now.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Nice - thanks for the feedback!

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Hi COTW!

I think the Grabbers have about an inch more side wall than the BFG's. When I had mine installed they pumped them to 33PSI pressure. I had them raise it to 45PSI immediately. In turns, I can't feel a difference from the BFG's, had 4 sets of them over the decades. Was pissed when they quit manufacturing them! Did not want to go to larger rims and tires, found Grabbers.

Forgot to mention these tires are Stud Ready! If you really want traction slip in some metal...

My BFGs were rock magnets! Picked up stones all over town, they did not self clean! The Grabbers are better for me about that! Could be the higher tire pressure? I no longer have to rock pick with my keys...

As a dedicated BFG customer, I was skeptical and surprised at the Grabbers! I'll stay with them to keep the 14" rims.

Bigger rims and tires on vanagons are an introductory drug to bigger brakes, engines and headaches! BTDT! Ronals on my '91 Westy were 15" and the spending never stopped!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I like the General Grabber AT2 27X8.5R14 LT too...

what do you put as pressure for Front and Rear?

thanks
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Tire Pressure: After installation, 45PSI all around... Only because they were under-inflated at the time of installation.

I will go through the calculations some day, but I am guessing 49PSI for the rears and maybe 42PSI for the fronts.

Because of the toe in wear on the front tires I usually don't have a larger differential.

My BFG rears got 60K miles and still had 1/8 tread left when I changed them, even wear too. I get about 30K on the fronts due to toe in wear and aggressive driving. Flipping them on the rims half way through helps. I do not rotate tires on vanagons.

My 2 cents worth along with about 500K miles of vanagon experience...
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

gpbruce lyons wrote:
Tire Pressure: After installation, 45PSI all around... Only because they were under-inflated at the time of installation.

I will go through the calculations some day, but I am guessing 49PSI for the rears and maybe 42PSI for the fronts.

Because of the toe in wear on the front tires I usually don't have a larger differential.

My BFG rears got 60K miles and still had 1/8 tread left when I changed them, even wear too. I get about 30K on the fronts due to toe in wear and aggressive driving. Flipping them on the rims half way through helps. I do not rotate tires on vanagons.

My 2 cents worth along with about 500K miles of vanagon experience...

I have the same PSI for mine. They were installed at 33psi.

Okay - you don't rotate your vanagon tires. WHY NOT? Seriously, I'm curious. Because I often wonder when I should do it, if at all. The interwebs have all sorts of opinions...

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I also have the Grabbers on my westy and usually run 42 Front and 44 Rear. If I'm loaded for a trip I'll go 44 F and 46 R.

Sometimes I just rotate front to back and other times I cross rotate to balance out the wear.

Last edited by SSWesty on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Long ago and far away I got my first set of BFG ATs (the first of 4 sets on my various Westies over the decades). I was incredibly conscientious about their care and rotations, they were a major investment. I got about 35K on the set and all the inners were well worn (white lettering in, black side out). With my next set, I quit rotations but flipped the fronts on their rims at about half tread life. Still got 35K on the fronts but got 60K on the rears!

This method has worked for me on three sets of BFGs plus 3 rounds of new fronts half way through the rear tire cycle.

I don't change my air pressure for trips in spite of the increased load. I do balance my tires with every trip to the shop. When I get new fronts, the rears usually take about a half ounce to re-balance. I check inflation before trips and usually there is no change, I camp monthly, year round and more often when it is above 35'F.

The reason I don't rotate other than the longer wear, less cost and saved time is because tire shops tell me that rotating will give me longer tread life; their job is to sell tires! My experience proves otherwise on vanagons with knobby tires for me. Your mileage may vary. Did I mention I drive aggressively? 140 HP Tiico, eh?

SSWesty! Did you calculate your tire inflation? Just curious...
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

gpbruce lyons wrote:
SSWesty! Did you calculate your tire inflation? Just curious...

I did not calc the inflation numbers however I had an alignment shop give me the recommendation. At the time I had Maxxis 751 all terrain tires on when I had the alignment done and they recommended numbers for those tires. They also noted that the Maxxis were a lower quality tire. The shop is http://www.trulineseattle.com/index.html and they are the real deal. For my alignment they used sandbags to weigh down the driver and passenger side based on my weight and my wife's weight. I also had the alignment done with a full tank of water and 3/4 fuel. It was a bit odd to see our westy in the shop because they mainly do work on high end cars and cars that race in clubs like the porche and ferrari guys. As part of the alignment deal they like to see you back every 4,000 to 5,000 miles so they can check tire wear. They were the ones on my last visit that said they would like to see the tires cross rotated. I've been using their recommendations for about 9 years with no issues. So that is how I got to 42F and 44R.
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

SSW!

WOW! Sounds like a great shop with good advice for you! Wish my last alignment was half as thorough as yours was!

Newish tires, probably a good time to check alignment, thanks for the thought!
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

UPDate: The Grabber ATs perform far better in the snow and ice than I would have estimated! 8" of snow over an ice base is what we have in Vancouver, BC, this morning. Traction all over town was better than expected. I decided to try a hill climb on a 5 block stretch from the beach to the top on one of our steepest streets/hills. There was only one set of tracks for the first block, then no one else had tried going up or down. The camper was sure footed all the way to the top with no fancy footwork and a minimum for spinning going forward. I would not have attempted the climb with the BFGs... Very impressed!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 31

Jump to: