Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" Tire Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

gpbruce lyons wrote:
UPDate: The Grabber ATs perform far better in the snow and ice than I would have estimated!

Are you running your Grabbers on stock 5.5-inch steel wheels? Can't tell from the picture.
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I am running on stock steel wheels. If the Grabbers wear the same as the BFG ATs they will be uniform at the rear and the fronts will be worn faster on the inside due to toe in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Another data point for the 27x8.50/r14 Grabbers (on stock steelies)...

I've only been on them for a week & only on road - pavement & gravel. As an LT
tire with 95 load rating it's obvious there's a bit more lean/body roll compared to
my previous tires (Hankooks, load rating 102) but once set they do track nicely.

If they perform off-road at all I'll consider it a great trade-off. While the Hankooks
were slightly more secure-feeling on-road, they'd give up all traction just in the
wet grass at the edges of a campsite... Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

We'll try the Grabbers in Utah later this month! Cool Twisted Evil Very Happy

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Anyone tried the Sailun SL-12?
https://simpletire.com/sailun-195-r14-2000523-tires
http://www.sailuntyre.eu/tyres/sl12.html

I am considering buying one to use as a spare, as my current spare is junk. At 26.2" tall the Sailun 195R14 tire appears to be close to both the 215/65R15 (26.0") I have on my van now and the 205/70R15 Nokian snow tires (26.3") sitting in the garage waiting to be mounted come Nov.

So, one 14-inch spare to use for both setups. No need to buy a fifth 15-inch wheel. I have all the nuts and bolts. And it should even fit in the stock clamshell! How can I go wrong with this decision? Seriously, please tell me.
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

The General Grabber AT2 27X8.5X14 R LT is being phased out! The General Grabber ATX 27X8.5X14 R LT is being phased in! Just added the new shoes to my '90 Westy and had a choice of the two tire models. The good news is that this option for 14" tires will be around for a while! The tread design is almost identical. I am sure the changes are in the rubber compounds, design and magic. The tires are $5 more each. Still a great deal...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Any cheap sources for the general grabber r14?
83_87wf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

For those looking for size 195/r14, Michelin Agilis is back available here:

https://simpletire.com/michelin-195-r14c-14307-tires

93.92 ea.
Mfgd in Thailand, date code early 2016

Ride and handling great so far, noticeable improvement over hankook ra008.
Brent
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

83_87wf wrote:

Ride and handling great so far, noticeable improvement over hankook ra008.
Brent

Thanks for the link, Brent. Can you be more specific about the improvement over the Hankook RAO8?

Agilis: Load range C, 6 ply

Hankook: Load range D, 8ply

I would expect the Hankook to be stiffer in turns with less 'give/sway'.

Thanks-Alex
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I say the listing above for Agilis is wrong, that tire should be Load D as evidenced by the 106 Load Index

Mark

Texxxxx wrote:
Agilis: Load range C, 6 ply

Hankook: Load range D, 8ply

I would expect the Hankook to be stiffer in turns with less 'give/sway'.

Thanks-Alex
83_87wf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Yes, I checked the load range printed on the tire is D, and the load index is 106, rated at 950kg.

The old tire Hankook was 185R14 is load range D, load index 102, rated at 850kg. Load index is a better comparison number across different tire sizes.

As far as driving impressions, inflated to 33f, 43r, less harsh over bumps, and driving with a strong cross wind, less counter steering needed. Local example highway 1 Castroville to Sand City on a windy afternoon last week.
Brent
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

That's a windy stretch, alright!

Thanks, guys.
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

GRABBER ATX LT27X8.5R14, am I wrong or would the load rating on these not be high enough for a full 2WD westy camper? Anyone have experience with them? Ive seen them mentioned a few times.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...;tab=Sizes
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

^^^ The Grabber AT2 in that size is on the recommended list in the FAQ's:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507
http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf

Specs for the ATX look nearly identical (load rating, max inflation & load) but less revs/mile
(772 vs 778 for the AT2's). Seems like the AT2 may be phasing out... ("Special/Closeout")

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...;tab=Sizes

Based on the FAQ info, I just got into the AT2's this spring for our Weekender & love them.
As expected, they are defintely softer than the former Hankook RA08's but provide immensely
more traction in wet grass, mud, sand, rocks, BIG rocks... Cool Twisted Evil

Not noticeably louder on the highway made them easy to get used to...all good!

- Dave

brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

interesting note about the road noise, that would be my biggest issue as we do most of our traveling on highway in summer months and only occasionally get offroad and mostly just easy trails and campsites. so I'm split between the Grabbers and the yokohama Y356 185/0R14
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y356&partnum=8R43568

if I'm splitting hairs I think the grabbers look a good bit cooler, for what thats worth.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I have General Grabber AT2 27x8.5LT 14 on all of my vans, 14" OEM rims, very happy with them. Overall diameter is equivalent of 205x65R15.

I don't have any any problems on my fully loaded tintop Syncro - hard shell roof top tent, camping gear for 3 month trip, total weight is 5180 lbs. Is a 2WD westy fully loaded camper weight more than that? I don't know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I've never actually weighed my 2wd westy but the tire thread recommends a minimum rating of 1580lbs for campers, and the Grabbers are rated at 1521lbs.

Maybe that 285lbs is a negligible margin of difference for most matters?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

nice
pvfahrer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Looking for a set of 205/70R14 all season tires. is there anything out there to recommend? Any experience with this one here? https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/gt-radial-touring-vp-plus/p/31647

Or is the general advice to go 15"?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

^^^ Certainly looks adequate at XL, 98 load rating. I'd run it.

FWIW: Check the tire FAQ compiled by Kam:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507

(14" options start on p.8...) http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 31

Jump to: