Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" Tire Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I've done a lot of reading here and elsewhere including the first seven and last three pages here. Correct my summarization if I'm wrong.

The 185R14 was the stock tire for both the steelies and the alloy wheels even though the latter was a half-inch wider. The 195R14 tire is taller as well as wider.

I currently have steelies. I would want alloys if I can find them at the right price point. I am not looking for aggressive tires for my application, so a tire like the Grabber wouldn't jive for me.

Therefore, I see there are only two choices -- both Hankook. One is the RA18 which didn't get a whole lotta love. The other is the Vantra LT which seems to be relegated to the clamshell.

Does anyone have an opinion of one versus the other?
tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Stock tire size for the 14” Alloy wheels was 205/70R14C

90 Bordeaux (Wine Wagon) Syncro Westy
87 Flash Silver (Silver Slug) Syncro Westy (1996-2011)
86 Bronze Beige Metallic Westy (Tourist Delivery - 1996)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

0.5in in rim width is negligible to tire effect really. all the tires have a high sidewall and it's not that much to adjust. won't cause it to bulge.
you can run what you want on either of the oem rims.

the Nexian is a decent looking tire
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=185r14&_sacat=66471&_sop=12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I’ve been searching tires for days now. I haven’t asked much because there is a “get rid of the 14” tires!” Mentality here.

I however like stock. Be it engines or wheels and tires.

Most of what is on the market that meets our needs are just Summer tires.
I looked for snow tires to run all year but the selection is poor with weight ratings of only a marginal 95 at best.

Hankook is often mentioned.
In the same breath it is mentioned how mediocre they are and that they are absolutely worthless on snow.

Nexen CLine Van tires are a viable option. I had them years ago, they would get tossed around on steel deck bridges.
If I recall they were directional specific.

Yokohama Y356 is the tire I’m leaning towards right now. 195/75r14. These are a light truck tire with a D load range.
Early tread wear is often reported.
However they are sized almost perfectly for our needs.

Cooper has an off brand light truck tire firestar 510
Reports aren’t good with delamination and early failure.

205/70r14 is another size but very hard to find with an adequate weight rating.
You need at least 6 ply, 8 is better.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I’ve been searching tires for days now. I haven’t asked much because there is a “get rid of the 14” tires!” Mentality here.

I however like stock. Be it engines or wheels and tires.

Dave

Right on!

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/vancontact-winter

Maybe try a Continental dealer and see what they can do for you. I know folks in Canada order tires from the States so I can't see why the reverse couldn't happen (assuming you can't get them in the U.S.).
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

tomkat73 wrote:
Stock tire size for the 14” Alloy wheels was 205/70R14C

Thanks! I missed that when going through the stickies and other threads.

danfromsyr wrote:
the Nexian is a decent looking tire
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=185r14&_sacat=66471&_sop=12

I think I have Nexen tires on Sinka now. I'd have to look again to see which ones they are. The load rating is okay. I'm just not that impressed with them compared to what I remember the Michelin and Continental tires being on Vanagon ... but to be fair, that was quite a number of years ago, and my concern is more on wet roads than anything else.

djkeev wrote:
I however like stock.

Yokohama Y356 is the tire I’m leaning towards right now. 195/75r14. These are a light truck tire with a D load range.
Early tread wear is often reported.
However they are sized almost perfectly for our needs.

Cooper has an off brand light truck tire firestar 510
Reports aren’t good with delamination and early failure.

205/70r14 is another size but very hard to find with an adequate weight rating.
You need at least 6 ply, 8 is better.

I am preferring stock (or near stock) with Sinka.

I thought I read 195r14 tires were a little taller than 185r14 tires. That makes initial sense to me because there is a ratio component with tires when it comes to sidewalls and width. But this also raises the same question I had initially with my '71 Super Beetle. What is the aspect ratio of 185r14 or 195r14 tires?

Back in my Super Beetle days, there was an ongoing barkfest stating the unmentioned aspect ratio was 78 or 80. I hope I'm not starting one here by asking.

How does a 195/75r14 or a 205/70r14 compare in overall height? I'm not that keen on my speedo being off (60 really means 61.5). I'm also very happy with how Sinka is geared with its turbo diesel. I don't want to change those driving characteristics in the process by changing to a taller tire.

My only experience with Yokohama tires were on Thing. Loved them. My two experiences with Cooper (Cabrio & Golf) were much more meh. I love the Continental tires currently on Golf, and have always liked Continental tires on all of my Dubs that had them.

VdubVanner wrote:
https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/vancontact-winter

Maybe try a Continental dealer and see what they can do for you.

Will very much consider that, too. Thanks for the link.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

After all my research on tires. I decided to stay stock size for an 85 1.9wbx. I did put VW alloys on it Embarassed
If stock was good for the PO and 200,000 miles. Its good enough for me. I don’t do snow in the PNW since they started salting roads a couple years ago. What I need is good grip in rain on hilly freeways and fire road traction.

I went Hankook 185/14” skateboard wheels Embarassed I’ve put 300 miles on them. For windy wet freeways. I dig them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

So Dave, with you in mind. I took the Van on an off road tour to see how the Hankooks would do on some slippery stuff when I go camping. This should be all I need. Your requirements may be different.

And some wet muddy grass. I had no problems.

What I couldn’t take a picture of is the steep off camber descent on the back side of this loop. It made my butt pucker but the van was sure footed and confident. The tires meet my needs. Hope this helps.

Look, dirt! Like some of the big boys Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Thanks for the real world tire tests!

Tires are funny, everyone has unique personal experiences and opinions.

Some indicate that the Hankooks get stuck on wet grass.

I too wasn't enamored with my Nexen tires. There was just something "odd" about them.
If I recall I got them in Grants Pass Oregon.
I knew I needed tires just South of Boise Idaho and started calling around finding zero stock.
I called Bend area tire dealers with similar results.
I wasn't shopping brands, I just wanted tires!
I figured I'd have Amazon deliver some to my Brothers house in Crescent City but CC is apparently NOT on Amazons rapid delivery route! It would be a week or better.

I found a tire store in Grants Pass Oregon that could have four in a few days. One day my Brother and I took a trip and had them installed. (Normal for him, Grants Pass is the big shopping destination)
How that town has changed! I worked for Auto Martin back in the late 70’s Early 80’s........ I was hard pressed to find where the old dealer location was with how much they have rearranged that town!
However?
Following the Smith River? One of the prettiest drives ever to get some tires!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Update to the Hankook performance. After my off road test above. I drove 120 miles down to Portland the next day on the highway. It was really windy, rainy, and stormy. So windy my side view mirrors would would flip in and would not stay in place. I could feel the Van shimmering from the wind. It is a big bread box after all. But the wind never blew me around. Never once jerked the wheel from my hand. Just a F’ing windy day along the Columbia River. I’m sure if I had 15” or 16” wheels it would have felt more sure footed and stable. Not once did the wind make me nervous with these tires. YMMV.

Please note, I drive bay window buses with tired steering boxes and a 74 bug. What I consider “Good” in wind might be different for some Vanagon owners.

I’ll update this as I put more miles on these tires throughout the year. Currently around 600 miles on these in the last 2 weeks or so.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

like basketball sneakers they're best when new

don't wear them down till nothing trade them out @ 40~50% and you'll keep the surefootedness of them for the safety of your family.

they get hard and slick on the last half of the tread.

it's not really even any money maybe an extra set over the ownership of your van. YMMV of course
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I’ll offer that my RA18s are very poor in snow. Have them on the front and some load range D Chinese snows on the back that were less than $50 delivered. So far, they are holding up well with no defects showing.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

So my 90 came with a full set of Hankook tires.

The tread is deep and almost unused!

Sadly they are dated 3009 ....... that's the 30th week of 2009.

These tires are trash.

Anyway after much research and soul searching I ordered a set of Yokohama
Y356 LT185R14C tires. A light truck tire with a load range D 1850 lbs and an 8 ply rating. Maximum air pressure of 65 PSI.

It rained all day yesterday. The portion of my driveway near the garage is grass and is a gentle slope down.
I had moved the Van a bit closer to the garage while working on it after the rain and when finished I went to back out.
These Hankooks had ZERO TRACTION on the wet grass!
I was stuck on a grassy gentle down slope!

I am SO HAPPY that I didn't go with the Hankooks!

Time will tell about the Yokohamas, they go on Monday morning.

From two Web Sites I've come up with this info.....
https://simpletire.com/brands/yokohama-tires/y356#...rZip=15106
And
https://www.y-yokohama.com/global/product/tire/tires/van/y356/

*Two designations for the same tire
*Two sizes are available
*Van-Again is a Yokohama fan
*I chose the 185 for the higher load rating,
*.10” diameter difference won't change the World for me. In rough numbers that is less than 1/8” difference.
*I found that tire retailers can't find the tire using the Pmetric designation.
*I had one well known huge East Coast tire chain (Mavis) arrogantly tell me that such a size as 185R14 doesn't exist!
I went to the little local guy instead.

LT185R14C
LT185/85R14 101
Width 7.1
Dia 25.7”
Rim Width 5-6”

LT195R14C
LT195/75R15 99
Width 7.4
Dia 25.8”
Rim Width 5-6”

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:56 am; edited 6 times in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Dave. So the 12 year old Hankooks were RA08s, Optimos, or ?

I need a full review of the Yokohama’s as I need some new tires on the 72 soon. Did some more trail running on the RA18s. Yes, I know they are new. But not bad so far.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Hankook RA08
185R14C

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Y356 LT185R14C tires. A light truck tire with a load range D 1850 lbs and an 8 ply rating. Maximum air pressure of 65 PSI.

LT185R14C
LT185/85R14 101
Width 7.1
Dia 25.7”
Rim Width 5-6”

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm currently medicated for my replacement parts, and I don't want more medication for getting wrong replacement parts for Sinka.

Reading the above, is a 185R14 tire the same as a 185/85R14 tire? It seems to me they're both 25.7" in diameter. If nothing else, at least the speedo won't be affected.

I have saved this post for my records because I have had success with Yokohama tires in the past.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I tried a search for tires for alloy rims (which I don't have but I did so anyway out of curiosity), and I can't find anything in a 205/70R14 size with a proper load range. Shocked
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
djkeev wrote:

LT185R14C
LT185/85R14 101
Width 7.1
Dia 25.7”
Rim Width 5-6”

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm currently medicated for my replacement parts, and I don't want more medication for getting wrong replacement parts for Sinka.

Reading the above, is a 185R14 tire the same as a 185/85R14 tire? It seems to me they're both 25.7" in diameter. If nothing else, at least the speedo won't be affected.

I have saved this post for my records because I have had success with Yokohama tires in the past.

The best I can figure is that the one site listing the Yokohama as a Pmetric suze took some artist liberty and made up this size from the LT185R14C specifications.

As I mentioned, that salesman from the one big tire chain argued with me that 185R14 isn't a real size.
On Most tire sites you can't search for this size. Their software won't accept it.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
I tried a search for tires for alloy rims (which I don't have but I did so anyway out of curiosity), and I can't find anything in a 205/70R14 size with a proper load range. Shocked

I don't think one exists!

My GL Van has alloys.
It probably came with 205/70/R14 tires.
The wheels are currently wearing Hankook 185R14C tires.

I don't mind a smaller road contact patch. The stiff sidewall is far more important.

Soft sidewalls make the unit drive like a sail. Every gust of wind, every oncoming semi is going to toss you around!
Hang onto that steering wheel!

Davet

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

you need to search for 205/70/14 XL rated tire..
stock was a 98 load rating.... FWIW..
https://www.google.com/search?q=205%2F70%2F14+XL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 31

Jump to: