Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

My 84 westy currently has the original dometic 3-way fridge, but this (as expected) started flaking out on me last camping season. I'm tired of the ritual of trying to get the damn thing lit upon arrival and unpacking at the campsite in the dark on a friday night while the family is waiting for me to join them at the campfire.

I have ordered a TF49 ACDC truck fridge.

I already have an aux battery setup using a Blue Sea ACR and a Group 41 flooded. The aux battery powers the fridge, sink pump, interior lights, stereo and a few USB/12V charging outlets. While the propane mode was working on the fridge, we had no problems camping for a weekend. Typically we don't camp more than 2 nights at the same place.

Given the new fridge power requirements and the age of my aux battery (installed in 2018) I'd like to consider swapping the aux to LifoPo4 along with a DC-DC charger and a 100W solar panel.

Here's what I've got on order:

- Campergy 100W panel and bracket for the luggage rack including extension cable so I can reposition the panel as needed around the campsite for most sun exposure
- Renogy DC-DC 30 amp charger with built-in solar controller
- Renogy 50aH LifoPo4 battery (will install in box under driver swivel seat in place of my current group 41.

I know most people would opt for larger than a 50aH battery but I've seen reports of this combo working well for some. It seems to be also what Go Westy recommends.

To be clear, I am not overlanding, living in my van, or living off grid. Just using the van on weekends throughout the summers in Ontario, with maybe a week long trip each year. We are planning one such trip to Maine and will likely be able to plug into 120V at the campground there anyways.

Maybe this is even overkill for my needs, but part of the appeal is just putting it all together and having a bulletproof system.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Your DC use sounds identical to mine, although I sometimes camp up to 7 days in one place.
I’m currently running 200ah flooded (100ah useful capacity) w/100w solar, but looking ahead
will swap to a smaller lithium somewhere down the road. Having said that, better slightly more
battery than not enough…I’ll probably go with 100ah lithium when I finally pull the trigger.

Anyway, yeah…You’re on the right track!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Your DC use sounds identical to mine, although I sometimes camp up to 7 days in one place.
I’m currently running 200ah flooded (100ah useful capacity) w/100w solar, but looking ahead
will swap to a smaller lithium somewhere down the road. Having said that, better slightly more
battery than not enough…I’ll probably go with 100ah lithium when I finally pull the trigger.

Anyway, yeah…You’re on the right track!

- Dave

If I find the 50aH isn't enough, I can always add another in parallel and locate in the cabinet under the sink. I'll just get my kids to hold the displaced pots and pans while we drive... oh wait, maybe not.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

I’d agree that starting with a bigger battery makes the most sense. Your fridge alone will use around 30 aH per day so with a 50 aH battery you will likely have “range anxiety”. 100 aH batteries are not that much more expensive or larger and can be fit under the driver seat.
My decision was a very large battery (300 aH) in the rear closet and no solar and I love not worrying about capacity.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

To be sure you can go a weekend without worry I'd opt for a 100ah LiFePO4 battery. You will not regret it.

You could even do without the solar for weekend trips.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
100 aH batteries are not that much more expensive or larger and can be fit under the driver seat.

My research hasn't led me to one that doesn't require some sort of modification to the van to get it to fit.

If I went with 100ah, I'd probably put it under the sink instead.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

So I decided to take the plunge and bought the following:

Battleborn 100ah Lithium battery
Victron Orion DC-DC 30A charger
Victron MPPT 75 | 15 solar charge controller
Victron smart bluetooth shunt

I plan to install the battery in the lower cabinet beneath the westy sink. The shunt and solar charge controller will also be located here. I will mount the Orion behind the driver seat vertically on the side of the cabinet, so that it gets good air flow. I understand it gets quite hot.

See below for a proposed wiring diagram. I almost bought an IP22 shore charger but got a bit of sticker shock at the entire cost and decided I didn't need it right away.

I would like a kill switch for the Orion and also on the PV input +. I will also put a master kill switch on the battery negative just beyond the shunt.

For fuses I'm considering MIDI/mini-ANL since they are compact. For the 40A breaker Orion kill switch, I am considering a blue sea surface mount. For the main battery shut off, I'm considering a blue sea 300A two position switch. Not sure what is best for the 20A PV input switch/breaker.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/list]
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Definitely check out this thread if you have not already. No need to start a wiring diagram from scratch.
Thanks to Vanuber for all the work that went into this!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753211
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
Definitely check out this thread if you have not already. No need to start a wiring diagram from scratch.
Thanks to Vanuber for all the work that went into this!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753211

Yes, I've been reviewing his thread.

In fact, I will modify to use the safetyhub. I like that setup a lot!
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Here's an updated diagram. I like drawing my own since my setup is not identical to Vanuber's. I don't currenltly have a shore charger and all the extra interior lighting that he has, to name a few differences. I'm starting simple and can expand later.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

I agree that simple is better.

If the “biggest customer” in your system is 30A, I’m curious why you are using 2/0 AWG cables. 8AWG is overkill even for “overkill” and is usually much easier to install.

I don’t see a fuse (shown) on the aux battery either.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
If the “biggest customer” in your system is 30A, I’m curious why you are using 2/0 AWG cables. 8AWG is usually much easier to install.

The battleborn can surge to 200A, so I was just being safe. I also copied Vanuber's sizing. You are right though. It is probably overkill for my needs but all that wiring will be within the sink cabinet, so not too hard to accomplish.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
If the “biggest customer” in your system is 30A, I’m curious why you are using 2/0 AWG cables. 8AWG is overkill even for “the overkill bill” and is usually much easier to install.

I don’t see a fuse on the house battery.

Yes, there's a battery terminal style fuse shown in the diagram.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Laughing you’re responding faster that my edits Laughing Laughing
boxer74 wrote:

I’m not good enough with diagrams to “see” that.

So if that fuse is 200A that sounds like a lot of unnecessary amps being offered. Can you change the fuse to ~40A and then use 8AWG or even 10AWG?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Laughing you’re responding faster that my edits Laughing Laughing
boxer74 wrote:

I’m not good enough with diagrams to “see” that.

So if that fuse is 200A that sounds like a lot of unnecessary amps being offered. Can you change the fuse to ~40A and then use 8AWG or even 10AWG?

The smallest size battery terminal style fuse is 100A which would be good for 4 AWG wire, which is still pretty big.

I could also abandon the idea of a battery terminal fuse and feed the safety hub through one of the MIDI fuses. Then I could use a 40A fuse and 8AWG. I already have a lot of 8AWG wire.

Here's how that would look:

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Yes, the usual silly wire sizing found here a lot.
Figure the maximum expected loads.
Then size for that with fuses and wire, with some safety margin.

Mark

Sodo wrote:
I agree that simple is better.

If the “biggest customer” in your system is 30A, I’m curious why you are using 2/0 AWG cables. 8AWG is overkill even for “overkill” and is usually much easier to install.

I don’t see a fuse (shown) on the aux battery either.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

I have some 1/0 left over from my build - that stuff is pricey. I’ll send you some if you want!
Even for a short distance the 1/0 is very difficult to work with because it is so stiff. I ended up using welding cable which is MUCH more flexible.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
I have some 1/0 left over from my build - that stuff is pricey. I’ll send you some if you want!
Even for a short distance the 1/0 is very difficult to work with because it is so stiff. I ended up using welding cable which is MUCH more flexible.

Thanks but based on the comments here, I will just use 8AWG. Anything heavier seems overkill for my needs.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

Use good wire.
Marine Grade #6 is rated at 120 amp continuous.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/529/Allowable_Amperage_in_Conductors_-_Wire_Sizing_Chart

Mark
tdivan82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: LifoPo4 battery + Solar setup Reply with quote

FWIW these are the resources I used to appropriately size and design my camper's electric system.

Runtime calculator here. For just a fridge and some LED lights, I think your 100ah is just right. I run the same TF49, plus an Espar diesel heater, so I went with 200ah instead.

https://dotwatts.com/battery-runtime-calculator/

Good wiring diagrams here, the PDF is really handy to have on a tablet, while you're doing the work. It looks like you're on the right track and have this part figured out already though.

https://www.asobolife.com/category/van-build/electrical/
In the gearbox: Swepco 202
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: