Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

2% is the best my wife will let us drink. If she had her way it would be 1%! Confused

Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
DrHAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s my current bastard. Trying to sort out the dual Kadrons, the drivers side is backfiring. Maybe shaming it will get it to magically work Laughing
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

Yikes! Are the ends of the fan shroud capped off or are you reinstalling the heater tubes? Otherwise your losing cooling. The rear breast plate that faces the back of the car is going to let heat come up if those heat riser hole are open. And hopefully the exhaust manifold is plugged the heat risers otherwise you could have exhaust coming out. Two oil filters Question looks like nothing to bad though.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

Love the dual oil filter setup. And the air cleaners are cool, too.

Get that thing sorted out and drive it!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

clean that hoe! re locate the oil filters, remount the coil and external voltage regulator, find some smaller oil bath or air cleaners, re route your fuel line. the belt guard can stay, i kind of like it. with these adjustments IMO that engine will look killer. for now, end caps will be just fine for the fresh air outlets.

or, do what you want with it, and do what makes YOu happy, BEcause, its your car...
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

If you decide to ditch those air cleaners, I want 'em. I will (hopefully) be in your neck of the woods soon.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

DrHAX wrote:

Here’s my current bastard. Trying to sort out the dual Kadrons, the drivers side is backfiring. Maybe shaming it will get it to magically work Laughing

I kinda' like the direction this one's headed. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

Gotta be a mess to replace the oil filters.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

The old David Brown tractors had canister style filters installed similar to that. When you loosened the bolt the oil would run down the block and on to the frame rail so you needed a catch pan three feet long if you didn't want to get oil on the floor. I made a sluice out of aluminum flashing that I wired under the canister to direct the oil over the rail and into a bucket.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

but... but it's like on a Daytona engine! So it MUST be good, right? ...right?

'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Maybe. Plenty of modern cars have filters like that (usually just one) and are very easy and tidy to change. I am guessing it helps to have a relief valve at the bottom of that filter housing, so oil has a chance to mostly drain out of the filter before you remove it.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Maybe. Plenty of modern cars have filters like that (usually just one) and are very easy and tidy to change. I am guessing it helps to have a relief valve at the bottom of that filter housing, so oil has a chance to mostly drain out of the filter before you remove it.

Your picture is of a Subaru... I have 2 of them. There's flanges around the filter that all the oil drips into.

Most filters have a anti-drainback valves so they are not empty at startup. There's oil in the filter and with that double mount, it will run down the engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Your picture is of a Subaru... I have 2 of them. There's flanges around the filter that all the oil drips into.

Most filters have a anti-drainback valves so they are not empty at startup. There's oil in the filter and with that double mount, it will run down the engine.

Yep, I immediately thought of modern Subarus when I searched for the photo.

Yes, the filter contains an anti-drainback valve (usually) which will help keep too much oil from escaping when removed, too.

I have no doubt the VW engine filter adapter thingy would be a little messy, but I am betting that with it being located up high, if you take your time draining the engine oil, at least a bunch of the oil in the filters will drain out into the adapter before you pull the filter.

A pile of rags would be handy, too.
DrHAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

The 356 air cleaners ain’t going anywhere Laughing ( actually I’m a bit worried about them being stolen actually Shocked ) I hunted them down specifically for this. The dual oil filter mount was something I got for 15$ shipped here a few years ago. Mounting them upside doesn’t worry me as they’re so high up. Basically just crack the seal and let it drain. Mercruisers have their filters mounted the same way and that’s what the boat guys use.

Though I did find the vacuum leak there’s a hole drilled through the intake on one side. Shocked it looks like somebody was trying to drill them
For the stock location pin but did it backwards leaving a hole there.

Embarassed Trying JB weld to see if it works if not I’ll ask my hot rod friends if any of them have a tig welder so i can tig the hole shut. Used to Weld boat noses for pontoons aluminum is something I know well Laughing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

HAHA I did not realize they were 356 air cleaners, I just though they looked neat. Now I know why!

JB weld should work fine on that manifold, as long as you clean and prep the surfaces well.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

Though I did find the vacuum leak there’s a hole drilled through the intake on one side. Shocked it looks like somebody was trying to drill them
For the stock location pin but did it backwards leaving a hole there.

drill and tap it for a vacuum gauge
looking good
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

Our friend Gundy giving Merroly's bug some much needed horsepower in 1972

I have that bug now
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

I know it is likely a reflection, but it appears to have either lightning or cobwebs from the coil to the distributor. I prefer to think its lightning!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I know it is likely a reflection, but it appears to have either lightning or cobwebs from the coil to the distributor. I prefer to think its lightning!

That's not lightning, it's the badass, it's so strong it's visible. The orange manifold ends surely add at least 5 hp as well. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Abortion ENGINES ONLY Thread, come see the Horror! Reply with quote

I thought it was just a mass of PURE ENERGY flowing from the coil to the distributor! Shocked

mark tucker wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 54

Jump to: