Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Honeymoon's over...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Actually it never got started...

After searching for a long time I finally found an 85 Westy in my price range. It is a TIICo so that raised my eyebrows, but it was in such nice condition and ran perfectly during the test drive........

Well it didn't pass smog. Ever so slightly high NOS level. So I brought it to my mechanic. I also asked him to look at the brakes as it took a lot more effort to stop than my GL. Maybe because it's a camper? I've never driven a Westy before. Well, he had to replace both discs and drums, pads and front wheel bearings. Crying or Very sad

The van had been non operational for a year, then the PO registered it (it passed smog last year) and only put 200 miles on it this year. So I thought maybe it just needs to be run for a while before I tried to smog it again. My mechanic said it ran fine and the smog numbers were really close. So yesterday I took it on a freeway run....

First off, it was nearing the end of the "green zone" of the tach (3800rpm) and only going 60 mph. Does that sound right for an automatic transmission's gearing? (I've only had manuals, my GL would do 65mph at about 3500). To go 65 mph I will out of the green zone, over 4000 rpm. Doesn't sound like a good place to be for long distance cross country travel. Oh well, guess I'll be going slow?

Then, today it would not shift into third. Evil or Very Mad 40 mph max. Guess I'll be going really slow! Actually, I guess I have to get the trans (automatic) checked before I can see if I need a need catalytic converter. Brick wall So much for staying in my price range.....

Any advice about the trans or getting it to pass smog?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

That engine has a much higher redline than the waterboxer so the tack green zone is shifted.
Automatics are geared lower than standards so yes , they need to be run at higher RPMs.
If you are on a budget you really need to be doing things like brakes yourself.
These vehicles need maintenance and having a mechanic do it all is for people without budget constraints.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

high NOx may point to a bad egr valve, if that engine is so equiped. It can also be an indication of over heating, is the cooling system fine? also could be a worn out catalyst

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

ok a few things..
yes VWs make their owners the mechanics.

on the I4 and rpms. the redline for that motor is ~65oorpms. it'll be fine at 5k all day long..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it's possible that your Automatic has suffered an internal seal and can't attain 3rd gear. we had this on mom's stock 86 when we 1st got it.
but you can check the custom linkage arrangement for proper adjustment and function. print/read this manual VW 010 ATs are essentially the same from 1975-1992 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1975_010_transmission.php
http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/010TroubleshootingManual.pdf

the AT linkage needs to be checked and adjusted
lastly how the throttle is connected on a Automatic is very important to it's proper operation. in stock form the gas pedal is connected to a relay lever on the transmission via the throttle cable. then the relay lever is connected to the (FI) throttle body as a solid linkage with a spring that allows a little more pull for proper kickdown operation.
now sure some will say you can just pull the shifter into 2 to kickdown. it's almost essentially the same thing. except that the relay lever effects the shift points and 'crispness' of the shifts and if left unattached can cause either hard/harsh shifts or the opposite in soft slipping shifts that WILL burn out your clutches inside the AT transmission.
on our engine swapped vanagon AT we have 2 cables from the pedal, one to the T-body and 1 to the relay lever.
but you must give this some proper thought and understanding or you'll be back repairing more items.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'll try running the car at 4500-5000rpm and see it how it feels...if I can get it to go into 3rd.

Growing up, my Dad had a Porsche 356 and he did all the work on it himself (Dad was an engineer...I'm an art teacher). I used to watch and pass him wrenches and what not. But that was when I was in elementary school...

In college I decided to follow in my Dad's footsteps and start fixing my own cars. The first job I tackled was to change the brakes of my truck. After completing the job they reaked of burn and were toast after about 10,000 miles. That was the end of my mechanical career....

I've had two other vanagons (for the last 15 years) that have been very reliable and never forced me to obsess about mechanical issues. This one, being a TIICO and all may force my hand.....

Last edited by llilibel03 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

If you have any skills at all, being a part time mechanic is way easier in the age of youtube and forums like this.
A few successes may make the process far more enjoyable.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
If you have any skills at all, being a part time mechanic is way easier in the age of youtube and forums like this.
A few successes may make the process far more enjoyable.

When I think back the the time I changed my brakes I have no idea how I did it. I think I just started taking things apart and tried to put them back together the same way, albeit with new brake pads. There was no internet back then....

Time to invest in a tool kit???
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

My first Bug was a 66 that I did the same thing with the engine. No Muir book back then either
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Never been a better time to buy a tool kit either.
Cheapo tools used to be such garbage that they were not worth owning.
Now you can get passable tools for a fraction of what professional tools cost and the gap in quality is much much smaller.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Sound par for course on a new van. No one sells them if they are still using them and fixing stuff. A new Cat will solve the smog problem. Maybe you will need a new transmission, be thankful your engine is working well. And yep, RPM sound about right, I cruise at 4200 all day long. Take a deep breathe, there will be more as you drive it and dial things in.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Sound par for course on a new van. No one sells them if they are still using them and fixing stuff. A new Cat will solve the smog problem. Maybe you will need a new transmission, be thankful your engine is working well. And yep, RPM sound about right, I cruise at 4200 all day long. Take a deep breathe, there will be more as you drive it and dial things in.

You have the Tiico?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Does your Tiico have an oxygen sensor?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Get a good manual and just follow step by step, you'll run into issues where the book is vague, thats where youtube/ thesamba etc come in. And dont rush trying to get stuff done, know when to walk away and let your frustrations burn off. You'll save a ton of money and feel really good. Cool
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Wait Tiico's are smog legal in Calif? Llilibel does your van have a BAR sticker?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
Wait Tiico's are smog legal in Calif? Llilibel does your van have a BAR sticker?

They are approved. The owner gave me a copy of the exemption letter.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Try calling van-cafe, checking roadhaus and calling shops that rate well on there, or just posting here seeking a place that knows Tiico's maybe? Or is there a local club or forum like fullmoonbusclub here in the SE?

When I got my van, I ended up spending a number between 1-2000 dollars at a good shop to get it to a safely driveable baseline, then I started working on making things better...an ongoing process all the time, but it's part of the fun for me.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

It is worth getting familiar with, and then contacting FAS in Maine to ensure you have their updates for the Tiico.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Update- was told I need a new transmission. $1400-1800 was my quote... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Will find out more this afternoon.... Crying or Very sad
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
Update- was told I need a new transmission. $1400-1800 was my quote... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Will find out more this afternoon.... Crying or Very sad

I have generally avoided automatics, but a few years back I found a good deal on a BMW that I really wanted. It was an automatic, but I bought it anyway. The transmission went south about 3 weeks after I got it. I feel your pain!
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Honeymoon's over... Reply with quote

Well at least being a TiiCo will have no bearing on your tranny problems.

You most likely need a full education on the whole TiiCo system to figure out where you are, where you need to be with respect to its one off Motronic injection, proper timing setting, and piles of other solvable problems, etc.

Post some pics of your engine bay so we can see what you got yourself into Smile, give your ECU ( what RSU### ### # number is on the ECU) and you need some special tools to properly set the injection and timing via a laptop computer.

I suggest to join the Yahoo Groups TiiCo page. There are some great people that can help answer questions.

Welcome to Flavor Country ! Don't fear the TiiCo. There will be costs involved in upgrading it or repairing it however.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: